So frustrated with RC right now

Eeyore1220

Mouseketeer
I just needed to vent and figured you all would understand, lol. We were originally booked on Anthem March 29. We had to cancel about a week before they ended up shutting down all cruising, because my husband is a healthcare worker and was given a strict no-travel order from his hospital. We missed the chance to refund by a week, but after the hospital supplied a letter they gave us a 100% FCC (of course it went to 125 a week later, but... them's the breaks). We rescheduled for Oasis August 23, and used the certificate and spent 2000 more because we lost kids sail free and the cruise was just more expensive. Now, of course that cruise is also canceled. So, I just called RC and asked for a refund for all of it, which I knew I wouldn't get, but they not only said no, they said the FCC still expires Dec. 2021, not April 2022 like the ones they issue now. With my husband's schedule, and the fact that Covid is not going anywhere anytime soon, there's no way we can go in 2021. We were considering spring break 2022. So, RC is just taking $3000 from me. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and waited, and finally got through... and then they hung up on me. So now I'm back at the beginning of the wait trying to speak to someone and get transferrerd to a supervisor. I am NEVER a "let me speak to your manager" person, even if it's to my own detriment, but I feel like I can't afford to just give up 3000. I can't stop thinking that if we had waited a week to cancel we could have just gotten a refund, but we had no way of knowing they would cancel. Sorry I'm completely ranting, but I needed to vent. Anyone having an easier time with newly canceled RC cruises?

Ok, I waited an hour and was hung up on TWO more times (I used three different phones so it wasn't me!). Then I finally got someone who said I have to BOOK using the March voucher by Dec 2021 but we can SAIL through April 2022. So I took 125% of the money we had spent on top of the voucher and I'll start looking at 2022. Sigh. At least we don't lose it entirely. Sorry again for ranting!

Glad you were able to sort it out and will hopefully get to sail in 2022! Gives lots of time for planning?

A friend was having difficulty with RCL because she used a TA and the TA couldn't figure out how to lift and shift the cruise so she ended up cancelling instead. It seems that things are just a big mess right now and who knows what is going to happen. Hopefully by 2022 you will be all set and we'll have a vaccine and you can enjoy your trip!

Hopefully by 2022 you will be all set and we'll have a vaccine and you can enjoy your trip!
Fingers and toes crossed! I know there are much bigger problems in the world right now, and I felt like a jerk getting so upset, but everything about this just stinks! Starting my countdown to March 2022 - 642 days until we cruise! Lol.

Ok, I waited an hour and was hung up on TWO more times (I used three different phones so it wasn't me!). Then I finally got someone who said I have to BOOK using the March voucher by Dec 2021 but we can SAIL through April 2022. So I took 125% of the money we had spent on top of the voucher and I'll start looking at 2022. Sigh. At least we don't lose it entirely. Sorry again for ranting!
This is one reason to use a TA. They are the ones that get hung up on, not you. :)

On a more serious note, my cruise last January was done under similar circumstances. We had vouchers that expired Aug 2019 (you can read the story in my trip reports), but I emailed guest relations and was assured that the voucher would be honoured for the Jan 2020 trip.

Obviously the situation is a bit different since there wasn't a pandemic then and there was a presumably larger support team handling inquiries. But it does make me think that emailing is a better way to go, even if the communication time is slower.

Glad you were able to sort it out and will hopefully get to sail in 2022! Gives lots of time for planning?

A friend was having difficulty with RCL because she used a TA and the TA couldn't figure out how to lift and shift the cruise so she ended up cancelling instead. It seems that things are just a big mess right now and who knows what is going to happen. Hopefully by 2022 you will be all set and we'll have a vaccine and you can enjoy your trip!
That is not an RCL problem but a TA problem. Lifting and shifting is remarkably easy. I lifted and shifted over the phone and there was no issue. On the lift and shift facebook page, the people having issues are usually those booked with big box TAs or really small TAs who don't understand what is going on or they are not even in the office.

If she continues to have problems with her TA, she can call RCL and have them take back the booking and she can do it herself.

That is not an RCL problem but a TA problem. Lifting and shifting is remarkably easy. I lifted and shifted over the phone and there was no issue. On the lift and shift facebook page, the people having issues are usually those booked with big box TAs or really small TAs who don't understand what is going on or they are not even in the office.

If she continues to have problems with her TA, she can call RCL and have them take back the booking and she can do it herself.

I believe she tried to do that, it was a fairly large booking of 5 cabins for family. She ended up cancelling because the TA couldn't figure it out. She's in contact with someone at RCL now to see if they can help, but I think she'll be out of luck because she cancelled. She had tried to speak to RCL but they couldn't/wouldn't help. It's interesting to hear she's not alone though!

I believe she tried to do that, it was a fairly large booking of 5 cabins for family. She ended up cancelling because the TA couldn't figure it out. She's in contact with someone at RCL now to see if they can help, but I think she'll be out of luck because she cancelled. She had tried to speak to RCL but they couldn't/wouldn't help. It's interesting to hear she's not alone though!
As long as a booking is with a TA, any cruise line cannot talk to you because the booking technically belongs to the TA. It sucks and is why we never use a TA. I don't like losing control of my bookings. It is just way too easy to do it yourself.

Fingers and toes crossed! I know there are much bigger problems in the world right now, and I felt like a jerk getting so upset, but everything about this just stinks! Starting my countdown to March 2022 - 642 days until we cruise! Lol.

Don't feel like a jerk. If I had $3000 on the line and was hung up on three times, I'd be irate. Totally understandable that you'd be upset. Glad it worked out, and I hope there are no more snags for you. :-)

As long as a booking is with a TA, any cruise line cannot talk to you because the booking technically belongs to the TA. It sucks and is why we never use a TA. I don't like losing control of my bookings. It is just way too easy to do it yourself.

I agree, I always book myself, she's tried to get me to use her TA because he usually offer OBC and such but I don't like not being the one in charge of my booking! I don't think she'll be using this one again though.

I agree, I always book myself, she's tried to get me to use her TA because he usually offer OBC and such but I don't like not being the one in charge of my booking! I don't think she'll be using this one again though.
I'm the same, yet cruises are the only thing I use a TA for. In this case it's because my dad has used the same TA for years, and I've seen that they are reputable and reliable. But if you don't have that level of trust, if the TA can't do the things you ask of them, then yeah, you're simply not going to have a good experience.

Work has told us if you go abroad you have to self isolate for two weeks NO PAY. If this is still the rule for October I can't go because I can't justify two weeks with no pay for a holiday so even if we can go I may not be able to go because of this rule.

Work has told us if you go abroad you have to self isolate for two weeks NO PAY. If this is still the rule for October I can't go because I can't justify two weeks with no pay for a holiday so even if we can go I may not be able to go because of this rule.
Yeah that stinks. I would guess cruises won’t be operating again in October, but that’s just a guess.

Don't feel like a jerk. If I had $3000 on the line and was hung up on three times, I'd be irate. Totally understandable that you'd be upset. Glad it worked out, and I hope there are no more snags for you. :-)
Thanks! I think “irate” covers my mood that day. Would have been interesting to check my blood pressure. 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts