So, explain these "security checks" to me, please?

The CMs don't "barge in". They announce themselves first. And if you engage the latch there is no way for them to "barge in".

If someone plans on leaving their minor child in the room alone, make sure they flip the latch on. And to not let anyone in unless it is a known family member. It is not hard to avoid all the worry of a CM walking in on you or a child changing/alone/in the shower.

Vero Beach has no bar or any mechanism to lock the door from unexpected visitors.

Vero Beach has no bar or any mechanism to lock the door from unexpected visitors.
o_O

That looks like the security latch on the door to me...
disney_vero_beach29.jpg

https://i1.wp.com/*******************.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Studio-3-650x433.jpg?resize=650%2C433

Wow. You sure have a lot of time on your hands. I never said this didn't impact me negatively (I'm worried about our trip, too) and there have been plenty of other policy changes throughout the years that have caused massive headaches for us (did you happen to tour the parks on THE day they first introduced FP+ for day guests AND changed GAC to DAS at the very same time?! We did! Try navigating that with a disabled child) I simply pointed out that it doesn't matter when you booked (I booked prior to the explicit policy statement as well). The fact of the matter is, if we all decide to take the WDW trips we have booked, we know full-well we are now subject to this policy. We either go and deal with it. Or we cancel. I"m not sure what other choice any of us have. I would suggest taking a deep breath. You haven't even taken your trip yet and you are having an online hissy fit over something that may not impact your trip at all. Maybe cancel and stay offsite for the upcoming race so you aren't so angry about your trip. Unfortunately, Disney puts language in their terms and conditions which basically puts us at their mercy when we book a WDW resort room. Heck, we can't even guarantee we'll get the resort and room we booked because we are only guaranteed a room on-property.
o_O

disney_vero_beach29.jpg

https://i1.wp.com/*******************.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Studio-3-650x433.jpg?resize=650%2C433

Don’t know where your picture came from or how recent it was but I’m looking at my door right now and there is none. I’m not really sure why you would want to argue this. Just saying...

o_O

disney_vero_beach29.jpg

Looking at my door right now and there is no latch. Maybe you’re using an old picture.

Don’t know where your picture came from or how recent it was but I’m looking at my door right now and there is none.

At :20 in you can SEE the latch sticking out of the door. At 1:37 it looks like there is a dead bold on the door too. the video was posted 2 weeks ago (she's a fairly well known vlogger we watch regularly) and her trip was this past January.

No idea why your room doesn't have one.

Well, I’m sitting in my room right now and there is no latch. I don’t know if this was changed after the implementation of the security checks but I have never had a Disney accommodation without one. We were surprised. There is a dead bolt but these can be deactivated whereas a bar latch cannot.

I would love to know the training and qualifications of all of these people they are now sending on these "urgent" room checks.

Good question.

Well there is legislation in various parts of the world (coming soon to Florida) that invites victims of Human trafficking to sue the hotel for turning a blind eye to things such as multiple people coming and going, contents of garbage, connections that don't look "right" , non age appropriate things in rooms etc etc.

That really seems to be putting a LOT of specialized expertise on people who are just housekeepers and random people hired to peek into the rooms.

And given that Disney is a place where people of all ages come together for trips, where you're going to end up with people arguing b/c Disney trips are stressful, etc etc etc...I can see a lot of unwarranted things reported. Gosh I remember a non-Disney trip with my father, half brother (13 years younger than me and he and I look alike), and my then 6 year old son where the adults in the gorup were having HUGE issues with each other. I was near tears the whole time. Our poor server at Denny's pulled me aside at the end of the meal to ask if I was OK; nowadays would trafficking have been suspected instead of just a confusing situation?

Wow. You sure have a lot of time on your hands.

Hmm. Usually yes. Not today, though. But reading (I speed read) and multi-quoting is super-easy. Today was our "three times at the YMCA" day so I was reading while my son did his math in between TA'ing for dance and then later doing a fitness class.

I would suggest taking a deep breath. You haven't even taken your trip yet and you are having an online hissy fit over something that may not impact your trip at all.

I'm not having a hissy fit. Not even close. Sorry if it reads that way.

Maybe cancel and stay offsite for the upcoming race so you aren't so angry about your trip.

Literally not possible. I supply the hotel to my cousin because our DVC is paid for. No money to get another hotel. And I'm not angry. Can't wait to see how my cousin feels though. 's'gonna be fun.

I'm disappointed in the ridiculousness of all of this. I'm disappointed in the utter lack of thought in this. I'm disappointed because a reason to get a timeshare is to be left alone. I'm disappointed because my husband is a product tester for electronics, he travels with prototype stuff, and when he travels he DECLINES housekeeping and NEEDS to keep what he's bringing with him safe and UNseen. This is going to prevent him from traveling to disney. Any other hotel you can actually speak with people like humans and they understand. But not Disney. And that's disappointing and ridiculous.

Good question.

That really seems to be putting a LOT of specialized expertise on people who are just housekeepers and random people hired to peek into the rooms.

And given that Disney is a place where people of all ages come together for trips, where you're going to end up with people arguing b/c Disney trips are stressful, etc etc etc...I can see a lot of unwarranted things reported. Gosh I remember a non-Disney trip with my father, half brother (13 years younger than me and he and I look alike), and my then 6 year old son where the adults in the gorup were having HUGE issues with each other. I was near tears the whole time. Our poor server at Denny's pulled me aside at the end of the meal to ask if I was OK; nowadays would trafficking have been suspected instead of just a confusing situation?

You are absolutely right and this is one of the main reasons I said it isn't the right way to investigate and arrest human traffickers. But this kind of legislation is being pushed (or varieties of the same theme) in numerous places and sadly it is only going to get worse.

Well, I’m sitting in my room right now and there is no latch. I don’t know if this was changed after the implementation of the security checks but I have never had a Disney accommodation without one. We were surprised. There is a dead bolt but these can be deactivated whereas a bar latch cannot.
check internet for video but latch is very easy to undo from outside

check internet for video but latch is very easy to undo from outside
I’m certain it can be done easily. I had no doubt. My reply that “my room” at Vero Beach right now had no latch was in response to a reply to maxiesmom above who stated to use it. She was correct that they don’t just “barge in” but they do knock and head right in if you haven’t answered. The latch at least would allow for the notice whereas the deadbolt is a quick key in the lock. I think our biggest problem was that we were unaware of what was going on. We are seniors who are long time DVC Villa users and we were not expecting this. There was no warning notice in the room or at check in and only the fine print disclaimer on the RO card...which I’m sure it was always in allowable even with the DND cards. We just weren’t expecting it so it was stressful as I noted in my other post.

@jenningsra I was so sad to read your post on the other thread where you detailed the bad experience you just had at Vero Beach. You and DH should have been able to rest- this is the second post I've read where they've had this "check" more than once per day. And you said that once it was 7:15 pm when they came. This is just unacceptable.

I know people say this all of the time about various things, but if this is disruptive to my trips in any way, this will be the thing that will end my trips to WDW.

I have one bad encounter, I will be checking out and they will never see me again.

Which is fine. I'll have a lot more money and I can renovate my bathrooms instead ;)

I know people say this all of the time about various things, but if this is disruptive to my trips in any way, this will be the thing that will end my trips to WDW.

I have one bad encounter, I will be checking out and they will never see me again.

Which is fine. I'll have a lot more money and I can renovate my bathrooms instead ;)

Agree completely... I have been enough over 20+yrs and I can just travel elsewhere.. I like visiting Disney but along with the huge crowds and not even being able to have privacy in the EXTREMELY expensive room you pay for it’s just not worth it much anymore .
I went on a vacation a few months ago to the UK , stayed in very nice hotels for 10 days ( most business or club level rooms ) and paid less

I’m certain it can be done easily. I had no doubt. My reply that “my room” at Vero Beach right now had no latch was in response to a reply to maxiesmom above who stated to use it. She was correct that they don’t just “barge in” but they do knock and head right in if you haven’t answered. The latch at least would allow for the notice whereas the deadbolt is a quick key in the lock. I think our biggest problem was that we were unaware of what was going on. We are seniors who are long time DVC Villa users and we were not expecting this. There was no warning notice in the room or at check in and only the fine print disclaimer on the RO card...which I’m sure it was always in allowable even with the DND cards. We just weren’t expecting it so it was stressful as I noted in my other post.
has been posted about for a couple of months here that I have been reading and if you had read before it was possible if you had read fine print. I will not be surprised to see this become the norm at WDW. and as a ps from the video I saw latch was popped just as fast as dead bolt key

has been posted about for a couple of months here that I have been reading and if you had read before it was possible if you had read fine print. I will not be surprised to see this become the norm at WDW. and as a ps from the video I saw latch was popped just as fast as dead bolt key

I just joined this group on this trip after we experienced the unexpected and untimely checks. I wanted to find out what was going on. As I stated previously, prior to this trip we had been dealing with my husband being seriously ill and booked this as a recovery location since we live in Ohio and the weather wasn’t too nice. Ourselves, We are not attempting to keep them out, only to have them not come while we were naked in our room. I think the previous poster was worried about her daughter being in the room alone and someone suggested that she use the latch. I was only letting them know that not all Disney Villas have these latches not whether these latches are secure.

For us, won't end trips but might end us on property and spending all our money on property. I have two trips now booked, April and May ... both offsite in a suite for less than a value. I was looking at a new trip now for Memorial Day week or the next, and Disney POP is not much more than my suite ............. but after our experience last month with this ... and ours was not the worse ... I was not able to book Disney. We might do it in July because we might meet a friend who flies in and uses ME, but it will depend on how this plays out.

But new bathrooms sounds pretty awesome! ::yes::

For us, won't end trips but might end us on property and spending all our money on property. I have two trips now booked, April and May ... both offsite in a suite for less than a value. I was looking at a new trip now for Memorial Day week or the next, and Disney POP is not much more than my suite ............. but after our experience last month with this ... and ours was not the worse ... I was not able to book Disney. We might do it in July because we might meet a friend who flies in and uses ME, but it will depend on how this plays out.

But new bathrooms sounds pretty awesome! ::yes::

You know, I was looking at offsite as well, and I notice that these types of policies are creeping into many of our offsite favorites as well. I guess that still leaves private home rentals, which can be a good option

But yeah, new bathrooms can be magical too lol

You know, I was looking at offsite as well, and I notice that these types of policies are creeping into many of our offsite favorites as well. I guess that still leaves private home rentals, which can be a good option

But yeah, new bathrooms can be magical too lol

I haven't heard of any doing what Disney is doing. I've only heard if you have your sign up for 24 hours they will come and do a security check. That I understand, I mean someone could be inside sick or worse. Homes are good for privacy for sure .... but for me a house doesn't feel like vacation. I guess we'll see how it goes on our offsite trips.

I haven't heard of any doing what Disney is doing. I've only heard if you have your sign up for 24 hours they will come and do a security check. That I understand, I mean someone could be inside sick or worse. Homes are good for privacy for sure .... but for me a house doesn't feel like vacation. I guess we'll see how it goes on our offsite trips.

It's hard to say because no hotel chain has message boards like this. I do know I looked very carefully at the terms and conditions of a few offsite places we like and sure enough, they had all added "Housekeeping must service the room daily" Now, that's fine if they are being respectful of timing. Let's hope!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter