So, explain these "security checks" to me, please?

Magpie

DIS Veteran
We were staying at Pop last month, and one day we came back in the afternoon and our room hadn't been cleaned yet. We figured, "oh well," and lay down for a nap. We put the "do not disturb" sign out.

The phone rang. Probably should have answered it, but we were both otherwise occupied at that moment. No message was left on the phone, so we didn't think much of it.

As it happens, we weren't successful at falling asleep (I had a cold, and kept waking my husband up by coughing). Which is fortunate, because about an hour after the phone rang, there's a knock on the door. A rather officious security guy tells us that they need to do a "room check", every day. My husband was like, "Huh?" So, the security fellow says, "Are you going to be in the room for much longer?"

We told him to come back in an hour. That we'd be heading out to the parks before then.

It seemed very strange to us at the time, but we thought maybe housekeeping might come by while we were out. They didn't. And if the security guy hadn't told us they were going to check, we'd never have guessed anyone was in our room.

So... is this policy now?

And, since we like our afternoon naps, should we inform them at the front desk that we'd prefer not to be disturbed between 2 and 5pm? Would that help cut down on potential disruptions? I don't mind them checking the room, but I know we'll be pretty grumpy if they wake us up.

Yes this is the new policy aka cya as a result of Vegas. Based on many of the recent reports Im just happy to hear that they agreed to come back and not insist on coming in then and there !

I would tell them at the desk ....and hope they actually pay some mind to the request.

Last edited:
Yes this is the new policy aka cya as a result of Vegas. Based on many of the recent reports Im just happy to hear that they agreed to come back and not insist on coming in then and there !

I would tell them at the desk ....and hope they actually pay some mind to the request.

Ah, thank you! I thought it might be because of that.

I hadn't heard the "recent reports"...? Had some folks had bad encounters with security?

We were staying at Pop last month, and one day we came back in the afternoon and our room hadn't been cleaned yet. We figured, "oh well," and lay down for a nap. We put the "do not disturb" sign out.

Did you actually have a "do not disturb" sign? Or was it a "room occupied" sign.

I believe they've completely gotten rid of all the "do not disturb" signs and replaced them with "room occupied" meaning they can disturb you at any time.

Did you actually have a "do not disturb" sign? Or was it a "room occupied" sign.

I believe they've completely gotten rid of all the "do not disturb" signs and replaced them with "room occupied" meaning they can disturb you at any time.

Right! Room occupied.

What was he wearing? I'm just curious. Was he dressed in a full security uniform?

This is just creeping me out at this point.

The reports that I have read indicate the Cast Members doing these security (theater) checks are just dressed in resort uniforms. If it's cold out they have covered up the uniforms and name tags with their own personal outerwear.

Something else to think about, anyone can buy used Disney name tags online.

I think the Cast Members performing these security checks should be in a security officer uniform complete with a badge. Impersonating a police officer or other security official is a crime in Florida (843.085 Unlawful use of badges or other indicia of authority for the board naysayers) so that would make it somewhat more of a deterrent for criminals and an added degree of confidence that the person demanding entry into your room is legitimate.

I am a sometime solo female traveler to WDW resorts. I would feel a lot better if, when I am required to open the door upon demand and allow anyone in my room, they are wearing a badge and uniform.

~NM

What was he wearing? I'm just curious. Was he dressed in a full security uniform?

This is just creeping me out at this point.

I don't remember completely, but my husband says he was wearing something "security-like". No hat, though.

This is what happened to us at POR, except we answered the phone. If you do it that way, they ask if there is a good time for them to come check, tell them a time and that is it. I actually think that is a good way of handling it so that there isn't someone actually there knocking on the door. The main "problem" came in simply because housekeeping had not made it to our room yet.

This is what happened to us at POR, except we answered the phone. If you do it that way, they ask if there is a good time for them to come check, tell them a time and that is it. I actually think that is a good way of handling it so that there isn't someone actually there knocking on the door. The main "problem" came in simply because housekeeping had not made it to our room yet.

I don’t agree with the checks but I wonder ..what’s the point ?? I would think anyone doing something wrong wouldn’t be warned and hide whatever they have anyway ... it’s a bit silly and going to cause more trouble then help .

Here is the stated policy in the terms and conditions and the one we all agreed to when booking our WDW rooms:

Please be advised that notwithstanding your use of a sign on your door, a request by you to forego housekeeping services or any other request made by you, the hotel and its staff reserve the right to enter your room for any purposes including, but not limited to, performing maintenance and repairs or checking on the safety and security of guests and property. The hotel staff will give reasonable notice prior to entry by knocking and announcing the intent to enter the room.

I did think we should have answered the phone, and we'll be sure to do so next time.

As well as letting them know when we check in, that we'd prefer not to be disturbed between 2 and 5pm. Which I know they don't have to honor, but hopefully they will anyway.

Oh, and we'll be accepting mousekeeping! Because it's definitely worth 10 dollars a day to me, if it means less potential hassle. :thumbsup2

I could understand a policy of checking on guests if a Do Not Disturb sign has been up for a full 24 hours. But, I don't see the point in not providing Do Not Disturb signs to let staff know when it's a bad time before they knock and wake someone or barge in if the guest doesn't answer for various reasons (in the bathroom, asleep, not dressed). It sounds like, most of the time, if someone asks them to come back later, they do, which would give any bad person time to hide or remove anything that would raise suspicions. If they insist on coming in right then, they end up with a lot of upset guests. So, how do they make this policy a net benefit?

Although in most cases this will not be a big deal, especially for park commandos, I can think of many scenarios where this would cause problems. For my family, the major issue is that my son does not like to spend as much time in the parks as the rest of us. He needs down time in the afternoon. He's not going to want someone barging in or insisting that they have to enter. This would be an even bigger problem if it was my daughter in the room by herself. She's very experienced with using Do Not Disturb signs (having a tendency to get sick on vacations) and would expect that to be respected. She would ignore any knocks or calls and then freak out if someone opened the door and walked in. I'm sure that there are many teens and children left alone in the rooms, even just while their parents run to get food.

I could understand a policy of checking on guests if a Do Not Disturb sign has been up for a full 24 hours. But, I don't see the point in not providing Do Not Disturb signs to let staff know when it's a bad time before they knock and wake someone or barge in if the guest doesn't answer for various reasons (in the bathroom, asleep, not dressed). It sounds like, most of the time, if someone asks them to come back later, they do, which would give any bad person time to hide or remove anything that would raise suspicions. If they insist on coming in right then, they end up with a lot of upset guests. So, how do they make this policy a net benefit?

Although in most cases this will not be a big deal, especially for park commandos, I can think of many scenarios where this would cause problems. For my family, the major issue is that my son does not like to spend as much time in the parks as the rest of us. He needs down time in the afternoon. He's not going to want someone barging in or insisting that they have to enter. This would be an even bigger problem if it was my daughter in the room by herself. She's very experienced with using Do Not Disturb signs (having a tendency to get sick on vacations) and would expect that to be respected. She would ignore any knocks or calls and then freak out if someone opened the door and walked in. I'm sure that there are many teens and children left alone in the rooms, even just while their parents run to get food.

This is perhaps a good opportunity to explain to your daughter that she should not ignore any knocks or calls when staying at Disney. Answer the phone. Leave the bar across, and either talk through the door or open it a crack and speak through the bar. She can have her cellphone in her hand, if she's worried that the person on the other side might not be staff.

If by some chance they don't agree to come back later, she can say, "I can't let you in. I'm calling my parents now," and call you immediately. No need for her to freak out, if she's prepared and knows how to handle things.

Even before the current policy was in place, by ignoring knocks at the door, she was always running the risk of a housekeeper trying to walk in on her. (Our Occupied sign kept blowing off the door handle, last trip.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter