So angry with ABD right now

I forgot about my AWFUL situation with Air Canada from Toronto to Boston to pick my dd up at a Nat Geo MIT summer program. All outbound flights from Toronto were cancelled due to severe thunderstorms. I got put on the last flight out (at 8:35pm -- my original flight was 4:30pm), but after sitting at the gate for over an hour, we realized that our flight wasn't going to leave. That was after spending 6 hours in the lounge. The agents in the lounge were terrible (they were lying saying they couldn't help with re-booking cancelled flights when they could) and I heard from others in the lounge that the line at the CS counter was over 2 hours long. I was one of the lucky ones that got on the first flight out in the morning, but since the problem was weather-related AC offered nothing in the way of compensation. I almost missed my pre-arranged pick-up time for dd (I had to have a friend in Boston pick her up because I would've been a bit late). It was VERY stressful because, were it not for my friend, I don't know what would've happened to my dd. AC was telling me that I couldn't get another outbound flight to Boston for 2 days and I had to pick up my dd the following day. It ended up working out thanks to my very good friend who stepped in for me. Not a stellar summer for me with AC. Luckily I had a home to go to for the night, but anyone who wasn't from Toronto had to pay for their own hotels since AC won't offer anything due to a weather-related delay.
Blech. I used to like Air Canada (they got me to Europe many years ago when the whole US Eastern Seaboard was one massive storm) but the more I deal with them lately, the less I can even stand them!

Sayhello

I have not done as many trips as most folks on here (just 1 ABD), but I think this is an issue not just with ABD, but with Disney in general. It feels like they are trying to squeeze every last dime out of every single experience, whether it is ABD, the theme parks, etc. For now I have stopped giving them my money. I was going to take a two week trip (either WDW or ABD) in 2019 to celebrate my birthday, and have now decided that someone else will get my 15k (or whatever). We are taking a big family trip next summer to celebrate DD’s high school graduation, and did not even consider a Disney product. It’s sad, because like so many here, I have been a die hard Disney fan for a very long time. But I don’t like to be nickel and dimed, or herded around in large groups, or ... They think they can get away with it because of the Disney name, and maybe they will, but they are losing lots of long time, loyal customers in the process.

I'm getting to this point as well after this past summer, and with Disney in general too, not just ABD. I've got the Seine River Cruise booked b/c I was waiting for ABD to do one, plus I managed to get one of the two single rooms on the ship, so no single supplement on that one for me. Then I'm planning to do a second BSM since that experience really can't be done with another company, and that may be it for me and ABD until I can justify another trip with them. I've been a strong advocate of Disney parks, resorts, DVC, DCL, and ABD for many years, but there were things I experienced this past summer that are starting to make me reconsider my travel options. The small things Disney has been chipping away at that are decreasing the guest experience are starting to add up. Changes to entertainment offerings on DCL, crowd levels in the parks and the many upcharge experiences being offered. And honestly, I'm just getting tired of paying the single supplement with ABD and DCL.

You know it's getting bad when Sayhello has backed off from the cheerleader stance.

I can only agree with what all of you are saying. After an absolutely perfect Peru/Machu Picchu trip last year (love ya, Chris and Rudy!), we booked the NYC short trip for next month. This is billed as a four-day trip and it cost $$$$$. It begins Wednesday night with dinner and ends Friday night. The only thing happening Saturday is a transfer to the airport. This is four days? (And yes, we are expected to tip as if it were four days.) No breakfasts are included. Thursday includes only lunch, and Friday includes only dinner. The itinerary looks great and I'm sure we'll have a wonderful time, but the nickel and dime plan certainly does seem to have been put into effect here.

Based on what I've been reading about group sizes, why would it not surprise me if ABD started offering "small group sizes", but at a higher price.

I can't say I like the idea of even higher prices from ABD (!), but I would definitely like to at least see an option for a small group trip capped at 20 or something. Then I could really evaluate ABD against Nat Geo, Thomson, Nat Hab, Austin Adventures and other smaller group providers to see which itinerary was more compelling to me comparing activities, hotels, included meals, OYO time, guide to guest ratio, etc. versus price.

As someone who was looking into ABD trips, I want to thank everyone here for sharing their experiences. It's sometimes hard on the DIS (or it is in other forums anyway) to be critical of Disney. When things cost this much I have certain expectations. And I'd like to go in with my eyes open. Anyway, thanks.

This is disheartening to read as we've been considering whether or not to try an ABD trip. We've had a hard time justifying the cost because there are so many other options out there that are a fraction of what ABD charges, especially if the group sizes are going to be as large as they seem to be getting.

I feel the same way. We generally avoid group travel but I was thinking that things would be much easier on me if I didn't have to micro plan our next trip. But I know what Disney charges for hotels at WDW, and I know what that kind of money gets me elsewhere (even in London or Paris, or Copenhagen where things tend to be pretty expensive) and I do want to get a decent value out of my travel expenses. Large groups are soooo slow and it's so hard to do much or have a good time when I feel I'm being herded from place to place.

I can't say I like the idea of even higher prices from ABD (!), but I would definitely like to at least see an option for a small group trip capped at 20 or something. Then I could really evaluate ABD against Nat Geo, Thomson, Nat Hab, Austin Adventures and other smaller group providers to see which itinerary was more compelling to me comparing activities, hotels, included meals, OYO time, guide to guest ratio, etc. versus price.

.......don't forget Tauck small group tours. ABD prices are pretty high now so how much higher can they go?

Remember the old saying “ it takes a lifetime to establish a reputation but only a minute to ruin”.....

Funny thing. My very first ABD, one of our guides - Dusty - quoted something similar to explain why they were giving us such great service. I've often wished to see him again on a tour. I'm starting to wonder, though, if ABD is the right vehicle for my tour needs.

Good point. We have never taken a Tauck trip, and I associate them with larger groups, but I should look in to their small group tours.

I think we had 20 or 21 on our Tauck small group in June. They “average” 24 and a family of 3 had to cancel just prior to the trip. It was a wonderful number- manageable at comfort stops but always a new person to get to know. Slightly higher price but worth it to me

Update: ABD listened and made the switch for me! This helps renew my faith in them.
So glad to hear it!! When you say they "made the switch for" you, which part did they fix? Did you get the free pre-night?

Sayhello

Sayhello- yes, I got both ressies switched with the free pre-night promo. They did it because, as i explained to them, this would have been my first choice if it had been offered earlier.
I'm so glad they finally listened to reason! Your arguments make a great deal of sense!

Sayhello

My very first ABD was in 2015 to Italy with Dusty and Marco. It was fantastic (there were 35 of us) but exhausting. Then I discovered DCL and with sea days in between shore excursions,the trips were much more relaxing. I am doing the ABD S. California Back Stage Magic in 2019 and am excited about that but I am paying almost the same amount for a 6 night as a 14 day DCL through the Panama Canal. I am also a single so I had to pay the supplement. I did so want to do Africa with ABD but absolutely cannot justify over $15,000.00 for me alone, so I will be looking at other companies.
(At WDW I can do Caring for Giants for 30 bucks!- Hello Little Red!)

Then I discovered DCL and with sea days in between shore excursions,the trips were much more relaxing.

We did 1 ABD and I did enjoy it but I agree with you -- DCL is more my touring speed. I like to do a lot but then relax a lot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter