So angry with ABD right now

I'm not quite there yet (my last ABD) but I'm heading in that direction. If I didn't already have Japan booked for next year, I would be seriously considering Hawaii or some other vacation for 2019. And you know me. I was a cheerleader extraordinaire for ABD. But Iceland is coming close to being the last straw. It was a fabulous itinerary (as far as the activities were concerned) and Iceland itself is amazing, but first and foremost, we had too many people on this trip. And unlike the weather, that *IS* something that Disney can control. The infrastructure just was not there for a group of our size. It made for a huge waste of time throughout the trip and affected the camaraderie of the group. For a while, I was seriously considering canceling the Japan trip, because I know it's got a full 40 people. I'm just hoping Japan is more compatible with a group of 40 than Iceland was. I was thinking to do something else in 2019, and then do Japan in 2020, but while there might be less people, chances are good that there would also be less meals included and more OYO time. That's been the pattern with ABD for a while. And I don't like that pattern. I still haven't quite committed to Japan. I haven't purchased my flights yet, and I normally would have by now. It really makes me sad to have to contemplate these kinds of things with ABD, but I do now. I don't jump on posts anymore where people ask if ABD is worth it and praise ABD to the skies. Because there are a lot of things wrong with their business model right now. I still think it's a great product, but it's being diluted more and more. And that makes me SO sad.

Sayhello

If ABD does read these boards, they should stand up and take notice of your post. While I totally understand (and totally agree) why the bloom is off the rose for you with ABD, it makes me sad that you're sad because you really were one of ABD's biggest cheerleaders and advocates. To have you questioning your loyalty to ABD really says something. But I'm glad for your sake that you are willing to branch out. There are some great options out there....

I know I've been and still am a cheerleader for ABD, but it's definitely not without limits. We choose to vacation in a variety of ways, not just with ABD. And if the right family group tour came around outside of ABD, I'd consider it. ABD has been a godsend for allowing me to travel stress free as a single traveling parent with my son around the world. We've had unforgettable experiences across 3 continents. Now that my younger children are old enough to join a group tour (5 and 8) they wanted to go to Japan. ABD just happened to release Japan. It worked out perfectly. It's an amazing itinerary to boot. I lived in Japan as a teen and didn't go to half these places. But we're paying a premium for this - easily enough to cover the best 5 star resorts, the best guides and the best meals. And that's what I expect. That's what we all expect. I don't mind ABD making a huge profit on these trips. I mind them cutting corners or making compromises in order to maximize profits. ABD should be the pinnacle of what Disney can offer.

We all know they read these boards. With the recent heightened level of frustration on the boards, ABD should take some time and look introspectively and decide who they want to be as a company. Why did Walt Disney have his cast members wear name tags? It was to connect personally with their guests. He wanted his guests to know they were important and it didn't matter whether they were speaking with a newly recruited young cast member or an executive. They were all there to help the guest. To let each guest know that they were important. To make a personal connection with the guest. I believe strongly in ABD. They offer clever itineraries. They do have amazing guides. They stay in wonderful hotels. Their food is... well hit or miss.

But are they making a personal connection with their guests? Many of the grievances here seem to be regarding the management that controls these promotions, changing reservations and how accommodating they may or may not be to guests' changing plans. Is it worth it to be empathetic with their guests? To bend rules? To connect with their guests? Or is it better to stick to their guns and enforce rules? If I called up, would they know I've been on 11 ABD's? I don't think they would. If a first time guest called up, are they trying to put their best foot forward to create a long lasting impression on that guest? To let them know they are here to help and to make a connection with that new guest? I'm not so sure. Does 40+ guests on a trip allow the guides to make a personal connection with their guests? When they're asking a guest to decide between chicken and fish for a dinner five nights from now, is that connecting with the guests or just checking boxes and putting in orders?

I have yet to have a negative experience to the point it pushed me away from ABD. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe I'm easy to please. But it definitely troubles me when there is this level of disappointment on the boards. ABD should be satisfied with nothing less than glowing reviews on this forum. They should position themselves as a VIP service. Maybe that's asking too much, but I don't think so. They should aim to have the best customer service Disney can offer and certainly the best any other group tour provider can offer. They should strive to connect with their guests on every level, every step of the way. And if they aren't, they need to take a time out and ask themselves whether that connection with their guests is truly important to them as Walt Disney felt it was.

I know I've been and still am a cheerleader for ABD, but it's definitely not without limits. We choose to vacation in a variety of ways, not just with ABD. And if the right family group tour came around outside of ABD, I'd consider it. ABD has been a godsend for allowing me to travel stress free as a single traveling parent with my son around the world. We've had unforgettable experiences across 3 continents. Now that my younger children are old enough to join a group tour (5 and 8) they wanted to go to Japan. ABD just happened to release Japan. It worked out perfectly. It's an amazing itinerary to boot. I lived in Japan as a teen and didn't go to half these places. But we're paying a premium for this - easily enough to cover the best 5 star resorts, the best guides and the best meals. And that's what I expect. That's what we all expect. I don't mind ABD making a huge profit on these trips. I mind them cutting corners or making compromises in order to maximize profits. ABD should be the pinnacle of what Disney can offer.

We all know they read these boards. With the recent heightened level of frustration on the boards, ABD should take some time and look introspectively and decide who they want to be as a company. Why did Walt Disney have his cast members wear name tags? It was to connect personally with their guests. He wanted his guests to know they were important and it didn't matter whether they were speaking with a newly recruited young cast member or an executive. They were all there to help the guest. To let each guest know that they were important. To make a personal connection with the guest. I believe strongly in ABD. They offer clever itineraries. They do have amazing guides. They stay in wonderful hotels. Their food is... well hit or miss.

But are they making a personal connection with their guests? Many of the grievances here seem to be regarding the management that controls these promotions, changing reservations and how accommodating they may or may not be to guests' changing plans. Is it worth it to be empathetic with their guests? To bend rules? To connect with their guests? Or is it better to stick to their guns and enforce rules? If I called up, would they know I've been on 11 ABD's? I don't think they would. If a first time guest called up, are they trying to put their best foot forward to create a long lasting impression on that guest? To let them know they are here to help and to make a connection with that new guest? I'm not so sure. Does 40+ guests on a trip allow the guides to make a personal connection with their guests? When they're asking a guest to decide between chicken and fish for a dinner five nights from now, is that connecting with the guests or just checking boxes and putting in orders?

I have yet to have a negative experience to the point it pushed me away from ABD. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe I'm easy to please. But it definitely troubles me when there is this level of disappointment on the boards. ABD should be satisfied with nothing less than glowing reviews on this forum. They should position themselves as a VIP service. Maybe that's asking too much, but I don't think so. They should aim to have the best customer service Disney can offer and certainly the best any other group tour provider can offer. They should strive to connect with their guests on every level, every step of the way. And if they aren't, they need to take a time out and ask themselves whether that connection with their guests is truly important to them as Walt Disney felt it was.
Very well stated. And the saddest part? That company that you're describing, that ABD doesn't seem to be living up to, *is* how they used to be. *That* is the ABD I fell in love with. But over the years, it has gotten less and less so. But, like any love affair, it's hard to let it go when things go bad...

Sayhello

This is disheartening to read as we've been considering whether or not to try an ABD trip. We've had a hard time justifying the cost because there are so many other options out there that are a fraction of what ABD charges, especially if the group sizes are going to be as large as they seem to be getting.

I'm not quite there yet (my last ABD) but I'm heading in that direction. If I didn't already have Japan booked for next year, I would be seriously considering Hawaii or some other vacation for 2019. And you know me. I was a cheerleader extraordinaire for ABD. But Iceland is coming close to being the last straw. It was a fabulous itinerary (as far as the activities were concerned) and Iceland itself is amazing, but first and foremost, we had too many people on this trip. And unlike the weather, that *IS* something that Disney can control. The infrastructure just was not there for a group of our size. It made for a huge waste of time throughout the trip and affected the camaraderie of the group. For a while, I was seriously considering canceling the Japan trip, because I know it's got a full 40 people. I'm just hoping Japan is more compatible with a group of 40 than Iceland was. I was thinking to do something else in 2019, and then do Japan in 2020, but while there might be less people, chances are good that there would also be less meals included and more OYO time. That's been the pattern with ABD for a while. And I don't like that pattern. I still haven't quite committed to Japan. I haven't purchased my flights yet, and I normally would have by now. It really makes me sad to have to contemplate these kinds of things with ABD, but I do now. I don't jump on posts anymore where people ask if ABD is worth it and praise ABD to the skies. Because there are a lot of things wrong with their business model right now. I still think it's a great product, but it's being diluted more and more. And that makes me SO sad.

Sayhello

@sayhello are you going to do a TR on your Iceland trip? Can you be more specific about what put you off a bit? I would LOVE to visit Iceland one day, but after reading some reviews will likely go on our own or with a private guide and during the season for Northern Lights.

We have 40 our Japan trip and I am a bit worried about the group size. My dd is excited because there are 4 other teenagers around her age (16 - 18) and this was her choice of destination. We have booked our airfare and even a photographer for her "casual" high school graduation pics (at the Inari shrine!). I hope to do Japan on our own at some point down the road, so the ABD will be a good introduction! To be honest I think I am more excited for the parks post-trip lol (which we booked through ABD).

Very well stated. And the saddest part? That company that you're describing, that ABD doesn't seem to be living up to, *is* how they used to be. *That* is the ABD I fell in love with. But over the years, it has gotten less and less so. But, like any love affair, it's hard to let it go when things go bad...

Sayhello

We are reaching the end of our viva Italia trip. Great guides. 43 people (the trip was NOT full!) trying to squeeze down single file in already packed Rome or St Marks square. Guides pulled it off-but this was an adults only-I would not bring my kids in a group this large in venues this crowded. Lanyards are not worn. No name tags. Despite my best efforts I still haven’t met everyone in this group as the locations are so crowded you can’t visit. Our numbers were simply to large to fit in some of the places like walking in the winery and mask making. The whole trip was the whisper phone in-ear devices. That’s fine inside but in places where you are supposed to be a group they were still necessary. TOO MANY PROPLE. Again, our guides and local guides have been exceptional - but so were some of the ones we found on our own for the pre-days (Dark Rome tours Pompei and Sorrento-wow).

I give the ABD back office and customer support a zero. Comcast has better customer service-they may be late but at least they reply. We love Italy. This is our last ABD trip.

We are reaching the end of our viva Italia trip. Great guides. 43 people (the trip was NOT full!) trying to squeeze down single file in already packed Rome or St Marks square. Guides pulled it off-but this was an adults only-I would not bring my kids in a group this large in venues this crowded. Lanyards are not worn. No name tags. Despite my best efforts I still haven’t met everyone in this group as the locations are so crowded you can’t visit. Our numbers were simply to large to fit in some of the places like walking in the winery and mask making. The whole trip was the whisper phone in-ear devices. That’s fine inside but in places where you are supposed to be a group they were still necessary. TOO MANY PROPLE. Again, our guides and local guides have been exceptional - but so were some of the ones we found on our own for the pre-days (Dark Rome tours Pompei and Sorrento-wow).

I give the ABD back office and customer support a zero. Comcast has better customer service-they may be late but at least they reply. We love Italy. This is our last ABD trip.

Seriously 43 people?! That is just WAAAAY too many in crowded cities like Rome. I totally feel for you. I hate those whisper devices -- they are constantly falling out of my ear.

I agree with you -- amazing private guides can be found. ABD doesn't have the market locked on that. We went with ABD to Japan because my dd prefers to be with other teenagers (she gets bored touring with just me -- shocking I know!). As well, I felt the Japan itinerary was exceptional and the hotels are all excellent. Plus the park add-on was available with the additional FPs. I would NOT be happy if we had 43 people on this trip. Forty is pushing it I think -- but ABD says the trip is full with 40, so hopefully they won't add any other travelers.

@sayhello , I'm sad to read of your disillusionment as well, although I can see where it originates. Our first ABD was the Danube Holiday River Cruise with Prague add on. We chose this solely for the Vienna Boys Choir on Christmas Day---which is no longer offered and the Prague add on ---also no longer offered. Last year we went on the Rhine Holiday River Cruise--no longer offered and we were able to experience the canal cruise, Van Gough Museum (without the painting part) AND Anne Frank House ( no longer offered but that may be due to the AF museum, not necessarily ABD's fault). Essentially, our favorite parts of our previous experiences were one and done items, which is disappointing.

I still have 2 on the books-DD's grad trip on the Danube River Cruise-she's excited just to be with other kids and do what she wants without an adult (she'll be 18 by then) AND the London, Paris, DLP with the dispodcast crew. I don't have any goals for the Danube except DD being happy but I do expect the podcast ABD to be excellent not just for the price but out of respect for the guys who put it together. All that said, I am not tied to any one company and have enjoyed my tours with Tauck equally or more than my ABDs and am always considering other companies (A&K for land based tours and Viking for river/ocean cruises).

I suspect someone on high has tasked ABD to increase their profitability resulting in larger groups, fewer "special" experiences, and more OYO time/meals. This is fine...but then don't insult the consumer by charging exorbitant rates and labelling yourself as "luxury" and "exclusive"- or if you do, expect the loyalty to dissipate. For most (including myself) vacation time AND money is a finite amount and if I'm not valued as a client then I don't need to purchase what you're selling.

I still have 2 on the books-DD's grad trip on the Danube River Cruise-she's excited just to be with other kids and do what she wants without an adult (she'll be 18 by then) AND the London, Paris, DLP with the dispodcast crew. I don't have any goals for the Danube except DD being happy but I do expect the podcast ABD to be excellent not just for the price but out of respect for the guys who put it together. All that said, I am not tied to any one company and have enjoyed my tours with Tauck equally or more than my ABDs and am always considering other companies (A&K for land based tours and Viking for river/ocean cruises).

Tink, we did a Tauck Danube river cruise for DD's high school graduation in 2016. It was so perfect. Because she was 18, we could book her a single cabin, and because it was Tauck and not Disney, we could do this with no single supplement. So we all had our own luxurious space There were a ton of other graduates onboard (This was in late June). A lot were being taken on the trip by a Grandparent as a grad gift. The teens had so much fun together. Every night when we were docked, they took off and enjoyed the little towns in a big group. Adventure with safety in numbers. The guides were wonderful about suggesting safe bars to visit, and about making sure the kids were safely back on board. The kids felt so grown up and all gained confidence being "on their own" in Europe. The parents got to enjoy adult time onboard with the open bar. The kids have all stayed in touch over the past two years, which has never happened on an ABD for us, where the age range is broader and there's usually just one or two "matches" of convenience. If you're at all on the fence about the graduation ABD, I'd encourage you to compare the Tauck Bridges trip for that one.

Because we are not Disney people (not DCL cruisers, not time share owners, not park people), I have no particular loyalty to the Disney brand. We travel with ABD solely for the high-end group family travel experience. In Alaska, ABD did a very, very good job. In Wyoming, ABD did an excellent job. Iceland was not a good ABD experience although we did love Iceland and loved our trip overall. But, as I have said before, there was nothing high-end or exclusive about that trip, and it was everything I initially feared about group travel.

Unfortunately, we did book another ABD before going on the Iceland trip. We booked Greece, a trip we have been eyeing for a long time, and we did it before Iceland in order to take advantage of the early booking discount. If we didn't already have that booked, we would not travel with ABD again. However, the possibility of another large group is really weighing on me and detracting from my excitement of looking forward to the trip. So, we are done unless ABD begins to cap groups at no more than 30.

On the upside, there are so many more options than there were even just a few years ago. I remember reading these boards 3-4 years ago and people were really searching for guided travel options. It does seem like the industry has really exploded in the past couple of years. And, although people love the Disney guides, the very same guides also work for other companies, proof that the high quality is everywhere.

Tink, we did a Tauck Danube river cruise for DD's high school graduation in 2016. It was so perfect. Because she was 18, we could book her a single cabin, and because it was Tauck and not Disney, we could do this with no single supplement. So we all had our own luxurious space There were a ton of other graduates onboard (This was in late June). A lot were being taken on the trip by a Grandparent as a grad gift. The teens had so much fun together. Every night when we were docked, they took off and enjoyed the little towns in a big group. Adventure with safety in numbers. The guides were wonderful about suggesting safe bars to visit, and about making sure the kids were safely back on board. The kids felt so grown up and all gained confidence being "on their own" in Europe. The parents got to enjoy adult time onboard with the open bar. The kids have all stayed in touch over the past two years, which has never happened on an ABD for us, where the age range is broader and there's usually just one or two "matches" of convenience. If you're at all on the fence about the graduation ABD, I'd encourage you to compare the Tauck Bridges trip for that one.

That sounds wonderful! Unfortunately (note my reluctance here...) DD really enjoyed several of the guides (Betti, Veronika and one of the guys whose name I'm forgetting) and I think in a way she wants to go to for the guides as much for the other teens. Your trip sounds amazing and I wish she would have been open to Tauck but the teen wants what the teen wants. I try not to think of the single supplement for her room (shudder!). I know, it's weird, we've never really "clicked" with other families on the ABDs, either. :sad1:

We did the TB Danube cruise too and loved it.

@sayhello
I suspect someone on high has tasked ABD to increase their profitability resulting in larger groups, fewer "special" experiences, and more OYO time/meals. This is fine...but then don't insult the consumer by charging exorbitant rates and labelling yourself as "luxury" and "exclusive"- or if you do, expect the loyalty to dissipate. For most (including myself) vacation time AND money is a finite amount and if I'm not valued as a client then I don't need to purchase what you're selling.

There are so many great comments in this thread, but this really hit it on the nail for me. Exactly! ABD needs to figure out whether they want to continue to be the high-end, VIP 5-star family travel group or whether they want to be part of the crowd. They are clearly moving toward the latter and losing many of the things I’m willing to pay a premium for. The group sizes being mentioned here are the first thing that should be addressed—as well as the unfriendly to customer policies.

This thread makes me sad. I accept that things happen and that there will never be a perfect trip, but I do expect Disney customer service to always be top notch. That is what I pay for when I pay for Disney versus other vacation providers. I agree that ABD really should take note of this thread. Even though I first heard about ABD through advertising, I would not have booked a trip with them were it not for the many trip reports and other information available here. I am sure that my family is one of many who came to ABD that way.

I appreciate everyone sharing their honest feedback here and in other threads. It definitely factors into my decision about whether to book again for 2020 (especially because we are bringing my parents and I will feel very guilty if I recommend a product to them and it turns out to be less than amazing).

@sayhello are you going to do a TR on your Iceland trip? Can you be more specific about what put you off a bit? I would LOVE to visit Iceland one day, but after reading some reviews will likely go on our own or with a private guide and during the season for Northern Lights.

We have 40 our Japan trip and I am a bit worried about the group size. My dd is excited because there are 4 other teenagers around her age (16 - 18) and this was her choice of destination. We have booked our airfare and even a photographer for her "casual" high school graduation pics (at the Inari shrine!). I hope to do Japan on our own at some point down the road, so the ABD will be a good introduction! To be honest I think I am more excited for the parks post-trip lol (which we booked through ABD).
I *am* doing a Trip Report. In fact, I finished the first draft of the first installment last night, so I hope to have it posted in the next couple of days. I agree with you about Japan. Who did you book your airfare with?

43?? 43??? And that's not even considered *full*?? That's outrageous and ridiculous! I am SO sorry to hear this. I do like the whisper devices when needed, but using them at all times is just sad.

Seriously 43 people?! That is just WAAAAY too many in crowded cities like Rome. I totally feel for you. I hate those whisper devices -- they are constantly falling out of my ear.

I agree with you -- amazing private guides can be found. ABD doesn't have the market locked on that. We went with ABD to Japan because my dd prefers to be with other teenagers (she gets bored touring with just me -- shocking I know!). As well, I felt the Japan itinerary was exceptional and the hotels are all excellent. Plus the park add-on was available with the additional FPs. I would NOT be happy if we had 43 people on this trip. Forty is pushing it I think -- but ABD says the trip is full with 40, so hopefully they won't add any other travelers.
I was told my Japan departure was full at 40. I sure hope they stick to that!!!!

@sayhello , I'm sad to read of your disillusionment as well, although I can see where it originates. Our first ABD was the Danube Holiday River Cruise with Prague add on. We chose this solely for the Vienna Boys Choir on Christmas Day---which is no longer offered and the Prague add on ---also no longer offered. Last year we went on the Rhine Holiday River Cruise--no longer offered and we were able to experience the canal cruise, Van Gough Museum (without the painting part) AND Anne Frank House ( no longer offered but that may be due to the AF museum, not necessarily ABD's fault). Essentially, our favorite parts of our previous experiences were one and done items, which is disappointing.

I totally agree with your last paragraph. It used to be a no-brainer that an ABD would be a great experience and more than worth my time and money. Not so much any more. And your point about your favorite bits being "one and done"? I *totally* agree with this!! It's the main reason I'll probably stick with the Japan trip for next year. It might be missing a lot by the following year. :(

Because we are not Disney people (not DCL cruisers, not time share owners, not park people), I have no particular loyalty to the Disney brand. We travel with ABD solely for the high-end group family travel experience. In Alaska, ABD did a very, very good job. In Wyoming, ABD did an excellent job. Iceland was not a good ABD experience although we did love Iceland and loved our trip overall. But, as I have said before, there was nothing high-end or exclusive about that trip, and it was everything I initially feared about group travel.

Unfortunately, we did book another ABD before going on the Iceland trip. We booked Greece, a trip we have been eyeing for a long time, and we did it before Iceland in order to take advantage of the early booking discount. If we didn't already have that booked, we would not travel with ABD again. However, the possibility of another large group is really weighing on me and detracting from my excitement of looking forward to the trip. So, we are done unless ABD begins to cap groups at no more than 30.

On the upside, there are so many more options than there were even just a few years ago. I remember reading these boards 3-4 years ago and people were really searching for guided travel options. It does seem like the industry has really exploded in the past couple of years. And, although people love the Disney guides, the very same guides also work for other companies, proof that the high quality is everywhere.
I do agree with your first paragraph about Iceland. Not high-end and not exclusive. And just too many darned people.

I may have said this before, but you will love the Greece ABD. It's really an excellent itinerary. I hope it's not overloaded with people for you.

There are so many great comments in this thread, but this really hit it on the nail for me. Exactly! ABD needs to figure out whether they want to continue to be the high-end, VIP 5-star family travel group or whether they want to be part of the crowd. They are clearly moving toward the latter and losing many of the things I’m willing to pay a premium for. The group sizes being mentioned here are the first thing that should be addressed—as well as the unfriendly to customer policies.
Yep. This.

This thread makes me sad. I accept that things happen and that there will never be a perfect trip, but I do expect Disney customer service to always be top notch. That is what I pay for when I pay for Disney versus other vacation providers. I agree that ABD really should take note of this thread. Even though I first heard about ABD through advertising, I would not have booked a trip with them were it not for the many trip reports and other information available here. I am sure that my family is one of many who came to ABD that way.

I appreciate everyone sharing their honest feedback here and in other threads. It definitely factors into my decision about whether to book again for 2020 (especially because we are bringing my parents and I will feel very guilty if I recommend a product to them and it turns out to be less than amazing).
Yep. This, too.

Sayhello

Last edited:
I *am* doing a Trip Report. In fact, I finished the first draft of the first installment last night, so I hope to have it posted in the next couple of days. I agree with you about Japan. Who did you book your airfare with?

Sayhello

Being the creature of habit that I am, we booked with Air Canada (business class), Toronto to Vancouver, with a 3.5 hour layover and Vancouver direct to Osaka. There weren't any direct flights from Toronto to Osaka that I could find. Coming back we are business class on ANA Haneda to Chicago, then Air Canada Chicago to Toronto. There were plenty of direct flights from Tokyo to Toronto, but I couldn't get one on points in business class, so I have to do the transfer. I booked these flights as soon as the dates opened up on points. It will be nice to check out ANA as I have read their business class product is very nice!

I had a super awful experience with Air Canada in the summer. Our flight from Syracuse, NY to Toronto was cancelled. Unfortunately for us it was the last flight of the day (it was supposed to depart at 6:30pm) and we didn't get to the basic (but clean) hotel in Liverpool, NY until 1:00am; our re-scheduled flight out was at 6:30am. No food vouchers from them and their CS after-the-fact has been nothing short of deplorable. Sadly they pretty much have a monopoly out of Toronto and boy do they know it :worried:.

I mention this because I know I've been a cheerleader for Air Canada many times before. But no more. They were the WORST to deal with in this situation and I am still pretty sour about it.

Being the creature of habit that I am, we booked with Air Canada (business class), Toronto to Vancouver, with a 3.5 hour layover and Vancouver direct to Osaka. There weren't any direct flights from Toronto to Osaka that I could find. Coming back we are business class on ANA Haneda to Chicago, then Air Canada Chicago to Toronto. There were plenty of direct flights from Tokyo to Toronto, but I couldn't get one on points in business class, so I have to do the transfer. I booked these flights as soon as the dates opened up on points. It will be nice to check out ANA as I have read their business class product is very nice!

I had a super awful experience with Air Canada in the summer. Our flight from Syracuse, NY to Toronto was cancelled. Unfortunately for us it was the last flight of the day (it was supposed to depart at 6:30pm) and we didn't get to the basic (but clean) hotel in Liverpool, NY until 1:00am; our re-scheduled flight out was at 6:30am. No food vouchers from them and their CS after-the-fact has been nothing short of deplorable. Sadly they pretty much have a monopoly out of Toronto and boy do they know it :worried:.

I mention this because I know I've been a cheerleader for Air Canada many times before. But no more. They were the WORST to deal with in this situation and I am still pretty sour about it.
I had two pretty horrible experiences with Air Canada this year, too. (I already had Iceland via Toronto from Columbus booked before the first horrible experience to Montreal occurred. Otherwise, flight #2 would never have happened!) I flew to a wedding in Montreal via Toronto on Air Canada in February (I still think my niece was insane!) and there were some thunderstorms in Toronto that day. Air Canada were HORRID about how they handled the entire situation, and it was a long, drawn-out mess, involving cancelled flights, being rebooked to a new flight that arrived after my flight out of Toronto left and having nothing done to deal with the second leg (ended up doing it myself). The Air Canada folks in Columbus were useless. And LONG, unexplained delays. I *did* finally end up making it to Montreal, hours and HOURS later than I intended, but the topper was them leaving my suitcase in Toronto and taking 2 1/2 days of a 3 day trip to get it to me (along with phone people who outright lied to me). Fortunately, my outfit for the wedding was in my carryon, but my snowboots and my warm clothing were in the suitcase. (You can bet I wore my hiking boots on the plane flying to Iceland!!)

Then, when I flew to Iceland, a few months ahead of time (I actually got notified while I was sitting in the Toronto airport, coming back from Montreal!) they cancelled my flight from Columbus to Toronto, and my only options were a 45 minute layover or a 7-hour layover. No way I could take the 45 minute one. :( Then, in addition to the 7-hour layover, both the flight from Columbus and the flight from Toronto were delayed by over 2 hours each, and the explanation we got from the pilot in Columbus was completely different from what the Gate folks told us. Altogether, just a yucky experience, and I have no plans to fly with them again unless there's really no other option.

Sayhello

I had two pretty horrible experiences with Air Canada this year, too. (I already had Iceland via Toronto from Columbus booked before the first horrible experience to Montreal occurred. Otherwise, flight #2 would never have happened!) I flew to a wedding in Montreal via Toronto on Air Canada in February (I still think my niece was insane!) and there were some thunderstorms in Toronto that day. Air Canada were HORRID about how they handled the entire situation, and it was a long, drawn-out mess, involving cancelled flights, being rebooked to a new flight that arrived after my flight out of Toronto left and having nothing done to deal with the second leg (ended up doing it myself). The Air Canada folks in Columbus were useless. And LONG, unexplained delays. I *did* finally end up making it to Montreal, hours and HOURS later than I intended, but the topper was them leaving my suitcase in Toronto and taking 2 1/2 days of a 3 day trip to get it to me (along with phone people who outright lied to me). Fortunately, my outfit for the wedding was in my carryon, but my snowboots and my warm clothing were in the suitcase. (You can bet I wore my hiking boots on the plane flying to Iceland!!)

Then, when I flew to Iceland, a few months ahead of time (I actually got notified while I was sitting in the Toronto airport, coming back from Montreal!) they cancelled my flight from Columbus to Toronto, and my only options were a 45 minute layover or a 7-hour layover. No way I could take the 45 minute one. :( Then, in addition to the 7-hour layover, both the flight from Columbus and the flight from Toronto were delayed by over 2 hours each, and the explanation we got from the pilot in Columbus was completely different from what the Gate folks told us. Altogether, just a yucky experience, and I have no plans to fly with them again unless there's really no other option.

Sayhello

I forgot about my AWFUL situation with Air Canada from Toronto to Boston to pick my dd up at a Nat Geo MIT summer program. All outbound flights from Toronto were cancelled due to severe thunderstorms. I got put on the last flight out (at 8:35pm -- my original flight was 4:30pm), but after sitting at the gate for over an hour, we realized that our flight wasn't going to leave. That was after spending 6 hours in the lounge. The agents in the lounge were terrible (they were lying saying they couldn't help with re-booking cancelled flights when they could) and I heard from others in the lounge that the line at the CS counter was over 2 hours long. I was one of the lucky ones that got on the first flight out in the morning, but since the problem was weather-related AC offered nothing in the way of compensation. I almost missed my pre-arranged pick-up time for dd (I had to have a friend in Boston pick her up because I would've been a bit late). It was VERY stressful because, were it not for my friend, I don't know what would've happened to my dd. AC was telling me that I couldn't get another outbound flight to Boston for 2 days and I had to pick up my dd the following day. It ended up working out thanks to my very good friend who stepped in for me. Not a stellar summer for me with AC. Luckily I had a home to go to for the night, but anyone who wasn't from Toronto had to pay for their own hotels since AC won't offer anything due to a weather-related delay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!