~~Snowbirds Weight Loss Thread~~

jenjolt

Loves All Things Disney!
Alright all my Snowbirds who are inspiring to live healthier this is our place!! This is where we share what works and when things don't we encourage each other to keep on trying! This is our safe zone, you don't have to ever post your losses unless you want to, but you can come in here and know there are others fighting the same fight and striving to become a healthier person one step at a time.

I hope this thread will become a safe nest for us to just be supportive and to help one another through something that is not easy! I would like to see us share success stories and party together each and every time (who knows Disco Dale may even be invited)!!

I intend to also share some recipes with you guys that I use while I work towards a healthier me!!

SO please post away!! Tell us what is working for you, tell us your goals, and when you don't drink that second Dr. Pepper you are so craving (come on I can't be the only one LOL) shout it loud here!!

We are here for each other and together we will succeed!!!

I will post the recipe in the morning LOL!!

So, here's a little background history...When the New Year came around, my family decided to have a contest to see who could lose the most weight. Well, it's the 1st of October and my DSIL and I are the only one's still working on our weight loss, kind of. We were doing really well (counting points-Weight Watchers) but then we got tired/discouraged and now we are back on b/c our trip is only a few months away. We are also running the 1/2 marathon. We did the C25K program, which really helped, since we were not runners, but since then we have been sporadic in our training. But I found out yesterday that I can take the full week off from work, so now, Disney is a definite go:banana: My weight on January 1st was 185lbs. My weight this morning was 159lbs. My goal weight was 130lbs, but now, I'll be happy if I reach 145lbs.

So, here's a little background history...When the New Year came around, my family decided to have a contest to see who could lose the most weight. Well, it's the 1st of October and my DSIL and I are the only one's still working on our weight loss, kind of. We were doing really well (counting points-Weight Watchers) but then we got tired/discouraged and now we are back on b/c our trip is only a few months away. We are also running the 1/2 marathon. We did the C25K program, which really helped, since we were not runners, but since then we have been sporadic in our training. But I found out yesterday that I can take the full week off from work, so now, Disney is a definite go:banana: My weight on January 1st was 185lbs. My weight this morning was 159lbs. My goal weight was 130lbs, but now, I'll be happy if I reach 145lbs.

:cheer2: :cheer2: WOW!! Congratulations on your weight loss:cheer2: :cheer2: And YAY to a whole week at Disney!!!! WOW, you're going to do the marathon you are a braver woman than I LOL!! Good luck to you I know you can reach that goal!

Miabellarose--I was just thinking about you today! We miss you on the January thread!! You're doing great getting back into it. You really inspired me and gave me hope with the C25K, although my knees can't take the running yet. I'm glad you're here!

I found you jenjolt.... well I am currently enrolled in a bariatric surgery program... I hope to have my surgery right after our January trip.... one thing I have been working with the staff on is documentation.... everyday I document what I eat and my mood at the time... it really helps.... I have cut out snacking.... in order to have the surgery you must be either 100 lbs overweight ( I am not) or have underlying health issues (I do). But healthier eating is just good for everyone....

so here are a few other tips I have learned.... do not drink any beverages 1/2 hour before or 1 hour after a meal - no drinks with meals ... this is tough... I still struggle with this..

chew every bite 20 times.... this is easy!!!

put your fork down and wait a couple of minutes between bites... sometimes easy ..sometimes not so easy....

hope this helps a little....

tomorrow I will plan on 2miles on the treadmill.... Thursday I have a stress test so I will get enough miles in that day....

I found you jenjolt.... well I am currently enrolled in a bariatric surgery program... I hope to have my surgery right after our January trip.... one thing I have been working with the staff on is documentation.... everyday I document what I eat and my mood at the time... it really helps.... I have cut out snacking.... in order to have the surgery you must be either 100 lbs overweight ( I am not) or have underlying health issues (I do). But healthier eating is just good for everyone....

so here are a few other tips I have learned.... do not drink any beverages 1/2 hour before or 1 hour after a meal - no drinks with meals ... this is tough... I still struggle with this..

chew every bite 20 times.... this is easy!!!

put your fork down and wait a couple of minutes between bites... sometimes easy ..sometimes not so easy....

hope this helps a little....

tomorrow I will plan on 2miles on the treadmill.... Thursday I have a stress test so I will get enough miles in that day....

Ahhhhh I wish you the best of luck with your surgery!!!

Thanks for sharing your tips!! I haven't completely cut back on beverages at meals but I have switched to water which is extremely helpful. I also do the chewing of my food.

I also have tried to stop eating at the computer or the tv. I find that I don't pay attention to eating during those times and then I tend to overeat or not feel full compared to what I would feel if we had sit down. Its something I'm going to get my hubby on board with is a sit down meal at the table.

:cool1: :cool1: I'm in! :cool1:
As I mentioned on the snowbirds thread, I am an actress, with a not so princess sized waist! :guilty:
While I wouldn't say I have any confidence issues, sadly the entertainment world doesn't get along to well with Pooh sized girls! :confused3
I think I am way to talented to not get anywhere because of my weight! :rotfl: (There see I told you I didn't have confidence problems!)
Besides, I want a long and healthy life, so I'm doing this for myself! :flower3:

Now, I am way to embarassed to post my actual weight (it is just a number though!) but I will say I would eventually like to lose 90-100lbs! Its a huge number I know, but I'm in it for the long haul! :scared1:
I eventually should be between 130-150. (Yeah, I know you can do the math, but I just can't type that number myself!)

So, my weapon of choice will be the weight watchers points system! :wizard: It worked in the past, I just need to stick to it! Besides it's a healthy way to learn new eating habits, not just go on a crash diet! :yay:

All right snowbirds! Let the weightloss begin! :woohoo: :woohoo:
Yay us!
:cheer2: :grouphug: :cheer2:

:cool1: :cool1: I'm in! :cool1:
As I mentioned on the snowbirds thread, I am an actress, with a not so princess sized waist! :guilty:
While I wouldn't say I have any confidence issues, sadly the entertainment world doesn't get along to well with Pooh sized girls! :confused3
I think I am way to talented to not get anywhere because of my weight! :rotfl: (There see I told you I didn't have confidence problems!)
Besides, I want a long and healthy life, so I'm doing this for myself! :flower3:

Now, I am way to embarassed to post my actual weight (it is just a number though!) but I will say I would eventually like to lose 90-100lbs! Its a huge number I know, but I'm in it for the long haul! :scared1:
I eventually should be between 130-150. (Yeah, I know you can do the math, but I just can't type that number myself!)

So, my weapon of choice will be the weight watchers points system! :wizard: It worked in the past, I just need to stick to it! Besides it's a healthy way to learn new eating habits, not just go on a crash diet! :yay:

All right snowbirds! Let the weightloss begin! :woohoo: :woohoo:
Yay us!
:cheer2: :grouphug: :cheer2:

Welcome on board!!! I too am a firm believer in the Weight Watchers system which is why a lot of my recipes come from there.

BY the way there are a lot of great free resources out there, you can go the WW site and sign up for their free newsletter that comes with great ideas and free recipes each week.

Also another one that I think is called Hungrygirl is another really great weekly newsletter that address great ways to eat healthy. In my last issue they discussed healthy options for when you eat at Wendy's. It was a great article!

Alright ladies..we are going to have a COW!! Want to know what COW stands for LOL!! Challenge of the Week!! Each week I'm going to challege myself and you with a healthy lifestyle choice.

Okay so for our first week together...I challenge you for the next week to drink at least 8- 8oz of water a day!! That's it!! Have a COW!!

Happy Drinking!!!

I made it! I made it!

Let's lose some some weight. :cool1:

I'm up for the COW.

8 8oz glasses of water!

I've struggled with my weight my entire adult life. I'm done struggling and ready to win this battle.

I'm up for the challenge!!! I need to drink more water for sure. You'd think, with me being a dancer and all, that I would drink a lot of water. Well, I don't. Pepsi is my beverage of choice and that needs to stop. I've been trying to drink at least one glass of water a day, so why stop at one??

..... when you eat at Wendy's.

What.... your all coming to my house for dinner...:lmao: what will I serve... how many of you will there be........:confused3 .......

sorry couldn't resist.... for those who don't know my screen name is Maggied... but my name is Wendy.....

Am I the only one that drinks diet coke and/or diet pepsi? Everyone seems to drink regular pop/soda. I think I was about 9 the last time I drank a non-diet pop! :confused3

I can't stand diet soda. HOWEVER, I have started drinking Cherry Coke Zero and find it tolerable. It's not like high octane Coke but it's ok.

So . . . shall we have a weigh-in?

This morning I weighed in at 149.5.

My short term goal is 135 and my long term goal is 120 (115 perhaps when I see how I look at 120)

Jen~was it you that had WW recipes? Do you have a good recipe for chicken or some pasta?

Miabellarose--I was just thinking about you today! We miss you on the January thread!! You're doing great getting back into it. You really inspired me and gave me hope with the C25K, although my knees can't take the running yet. I'm glad you're here!

I still read the January thread...but I lurk, a lot...and it's grown so much, it's hard to keep up. I didn't know for sure until the other day if we were even going...time off from work, the economy, etc. and who were all going. But since I got the time off, we are going for sure. Now I have to buckle down and get myself motivated again-start the weight loss and the 1/2 marathon training again...I can't believe I have 3 months and 2 days left:cheer2: Don't worry if you can't run. The most important thing is that you're out there exercising. Walking is one the best exercises you can do. Good job for starting the C25K!!!!

So, I know I drink more than the 8-8oz. of water at work during the day, but at home in the evenings and on the weekends, I exist on Diet soda-pop. That part will be challenging for me...I've tried several times to eliminate soda-pop completely from my diet, but then I get that craving for a regular Wild Cherry Pepsi or Cherry Coke and then I'm back to where I was.

HI:wave2: everyone, and let's get healthy :thumbsup2

I made it! I made it!

Let's lose some some weight. :cool1:

I'm up for the COW.

8 8oz glasses of water!

I've struggled with my weight my entire adult life. I'm done struggling and ready to win this battle.

I too know the struggle of weight! When I graduated from High school I was 222lbs and then I joined WW and by the time I got married I was down to 160. Then we moved to Alaska and apparently I thought I was a mama grizzly bear who needed to gain fat before hibernating and gained it all back and now I'm ready to lose again!!! So I am with you all the way girlie!!

Drink that water Drink that water!! I have a mug from a local hospital that holds 32oz...so all I have to do is drink two of them and then thank the Lord that the bathroom is only two doors down and I get a passing period every 1.5 hrs LOL

I'm up for the challenge!!! I need to drink more water for sure. You'd think, with me being a dancer and all, that I would drink a lot of water. Well, I don't. Pepsi is my beverage of choice and that needs to stop. I've been trying to drink at least one glass of water a day, so why stop at one??

I'm a Dr. Pepper Fiend but you guys already knew that LOL And I have limited myself to one...although as I'm seriously starting to consider Diet Dr. Pepper, but that's going to hurt LOL!! But yes drink more water!! What's one compared to say Eight LOL..you can do Meghan!!

What.... your all coming to my house for dinner...:lmao: what will I serve... how many of you will there be........:confused3 .......

sorry couldn't resist.... for those who don't know my screen name is Maggied... but my name is Wendy.....

Give me an addy and I'm there I'll even bring over my WW Tortellini pasta salad (I'll post that recipe tomorrow..I'm going to post your chicken ones first LOL)

Am I the only one that drinks diet coke and/or diet pepsi? Everyone seems to drink regular pop/soda. I think I was about 9 the last time I drank a non-diet pop! :confused3

I envy those who can drink Diet sodas...I just love my Dr. Pepper so much!! But at the end of the day its about how I look at myself so it might be time to trade in the red can for the white can LOL!!

I can't stand diet soda. HOWEVER, I have started drinking Cherry Coke Zero and find it tolerable. It's not like high octane Coke but it's ok.

So . . . shall we have a weigh-in?

This morning I weighed in at 149.5.

My short term goal is 135 and my long term goal is 120 (115 perhaps when I see how I look at 120)

Jen~was it you that had WW recipes? Do you have a good recipe for chicken or some pasta?

Alright here's a great recipe for chicken fingers that even your pickiest eaters will enjoy.

For 3 chicken fingers the point value is 5

Ingredients
Chicken Breast (1 per person)
2 Tablespoons Honey Mustard
2 Tablespoons Buttermilk (I sometimes cheat and use skim milk instead LOL)
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (Depending how I feel I season it with italian seasoning or basil, Paprika also adds a nice touch.)

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Place the cookie sheet into the oven to preheat it.

I usually do a breast of chicken per person and cut it into three strip like pieces.
Mix together the honey mustard and milk.
Dip the strips in the honey mustard/milk mixture
Dip the strips in bread crumbs.

Once the cookie sheet has been heated, carefully take it out and spray with non-stick cooking spray.

Place the strips on the cookie sheet and place in the oven. Cook the strips for 6 minutes. Take the strips out and turn them over and cook them on their other side for another 6 minutes. Viola!! Easy Chicken fingers!!

This is a quick recipe that I usually make before we rush to Wed. night church. I usually will serve this with a salad and green beans which keeps my dinner meal well under 10 points!!

Hope you enjoy it!!

Hey Jen!! I'm here!:cheer2: I'll be back later, just wanted to say hey this a.m.!!

Good morning!! And I am so glad that you are here!! The more the merrier and we all need some great cheerleaders :cheer2: I know you have all inspired me already to make sure I stay on track!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!