Snorkeling excursions in Grand Cayman for beginner snorkelers - please help!

vinotinto

Just Keep Swimming
Hi! Trying to decide which outfit to do a snorkeling plus excursion from Cayman with kids ages 7 and 10. We will be in port 10:30 am - 5:30 pm. Would like to do 2 or 3 stops, and it's fine if we see stingrays, but it's not a requirement (we did a whole stingray excursion just a few months ago in Antigua with RCCL, spent a couple of hours with the stingrays and snorkeling and even bought pictures).

I am particularly interested in tours that are the best for beginner snorkelers. My 10-year old has snorkeled with us before and is quite good at it, but the 7-year old has had issues with her mask when she was younger (5-6 years old) and has not yet joined us in snorkeling. Kids would love to see starfish, colorful fish, healthy coral. Since ocean conditions can be variable, would like to find an outfit that chooses the location based on calmer water on that day.

I'm looking at the following Disney excursions (has anyone done any of these within the past year)?
1. Shipwreck and Reef Snorkeling - 2 stops (a shipwreck and one reef snorkel spot)
2. Catamaran, Reef and Kittiwake Snorkel Sail - 2 stops (a shipwreck and one reef snorkel spot)

Also looking at the following:
1. Native Way's (looks good, I contacted them with questions and they responded quickly, but when I asked for a reservation, they have not yet responded, which makes me a little concerned about miscommunications).

2. Acquarius - 3 stops (Stingray City, Starfish sandbar and one reef snorkel spot)

3. Dexter's Fantasea - 2 stops (Stingray City and one reef snorkel spot)

4. Captain Marvin's - 3 stops (Stingray City and two reef snorkel spots)

So, please, if you have any info, please share! TIA!

My family did the Captain Marvin's, 3 stop and it was AMAZING!! My daughter and I had never snorkeled. One of the crew members, I wish I could remember his name because he was really great, worked with us until we were both comfortable snorkeling on our own. I can promise, for the price and attention that you will receive, that Captain Marvin's will not disappoint.

We just got off the Magic with a stop in Grand Cayman. We booked Seven Seas Charters, which we found on Trip Advisor. Captain Shaun was amazing! We did Sting Ray City, Coral Gardens snorkel and Starfish point. It was about a 5 hour tour for $300. We are a family of 4. Kids are 8 & 11. Besides being a great Captain, his information at every stop was very educational and he was excellent with the kids.

I have been on 3 different snorkeling excursions by DCL on Grand Cayman

None of them had a place to stand -- all in "deep" water (over 10 feet deep)

Early / Mid 2000's we did the Shipwreck and Reef Snorkeling: It's really cool because you snorkel between the ship and the shore!! The shipwreck is a small tug boat - Lots of fish. We then moved about 1/4 mile to the reef. Lots to see here too. Still between the Ship and Shore. Sorry no pictures - pre digital :sad2:

2012 - snorkeled at stingray city area - were not on the sand bar where you can stand. we were inside the "barrier" reef. Inside was sandy bottom (20+ feet down) and you could go by / into the reef area - some areas really shallow. Lots of fish and we did see one lonely stingray. Sorry no pictures - digital but NOT waterproof.

2014: Kittiwake: we were there on a "dark and stormy" day. Well not that stormy - but it rained quite a bit and the clouds were dark. Therefor these are not the best pictures. The top of Kittiwake might be within 25 feet of the surface and the main deck MUCH deeper (note the scuba divers). And we really didn't see a lot of fish in and around the reef ... well at least not ones I could take a picture of :). I think it was due to the weather when we were there. One of the pictures is not that great but I like it because it reminds me of the Little Mermaid. And by far the Kittiwake is in the deepest water we have ever snorkeled in. P1050964 (1280x960).jpg

Attachments

• P1060013 (1280x960).jpg
    P1060013 (1280x960).jpg
    763 KB · Views: 9
  • P1050921 (1024x655).jpg
    P1050921 (1024x655).jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 9
  • P1050971 (1280x907).jpg
    P1050971 (1280x907).jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 8
  • P1050947 (1280x919).jpg
    P1050947 (1280x919).jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 8
  • P1050927 (1280x946).jpg
    P1050927 (1280x946).jpg
    533.2 KB · Views: 7
  • P1060014 (1280x947).jpg
    P1060014 (1280x947).jpg
    890.5 KB · Views: 7
  • P1050950 (1280x766).jpg
    P1050950 (1280x766).jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 7
  • P1050934 (1280x892).jpg
    P1050934 (1280x892).jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 7

My family did the Captain Marvin's, 3 stop and it was AMAZING!! My daughter and I had never snorkeled. One of the crew members, I wish I could remember his name because he was really great, worked with us until we were both comfortable snorkeling on our own. I can promise, for the price and attention that you will receive, that Captain Marvin's will not disappoint.

I'm doing Captain Marvins with my 8 year old DD on April 2. Already signed up for the 3 stop & looking forward to it.

I'm doing Captain Marvins with my 8 year old DD on April 2. Already signed up for the 3 stop & looking forward to it.
I emailed Captain Marvin and they told me that we couldn’t do the 3 stop because of the time the Fantasy arrives and only the 2 stop was available. Did you get to do the 3 stop?

I emailed Captain Marvin and they told me that we couldn’t do the 3 stop because of the time the Fantasy arrives and only the 2 stop was available. Did you get to do the 3 stop?
This thread is over 3 years old. these posters may not be around any more.

We did Reef and Reck in 2011 when my youngest was 10. We loved it. They stay close to the harbor for reck and out by the ship for reef. My youngest had been snorkeling once before in the Keys. My 3 boys had a great time.

What we really like is they let you off right by shopping and Margareteville. We ha d lunch there and my two younger sons enjoy the pool and slide there.

However, they get full credit for searching the boards for a post relevant to their question instead of just automatically starting a new (and possibly redundant) post!!!

Agreed. It seems you can't win for losing sometimes. If you don't search, someone pulls up a thread on it (granted more likely to happen on Cruise Critic, but I've seen it here) and says "Search!" But when they do search they get variations on "Zombie thread!". :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!