Snorkel gear question

CindyLouB

Mouseketeer
Hello....Husband, 10 year old daughter and I going on 8th cruise 12-26 to 1-4 ! I'm going to get our own snorkel gear this time. Daughter wears prescription goggles, so just needs the snorkel and flippers. The snorkels with head straps all seem to be the type that go up the center of your face and I don't think she'll like that. Are there any that have a head strap that don't go up the center? or are the ones without the strap easy to keep in mouth? I don't mind buying one that comes with a mask, we just don't need the mask and I kind of wanted a strap on the snorkel. I've not been snorkeling in years. I will be buying hubby and I some gear as well, whole set. Thanks!

We are avid snorkelers and it seems as if you're describing the full face mask snorkel gear. If you go that route, beware that the knockoff (read cheap) models are dangerous to the point where Hawaii is banning their use on snorkeling excursions due to fatalities. We use the traditional mask with the side mounted snorkel along with fins. We recently got DD2 a new snorkel as hers was broken (long story) and if I remember correctly we got a Cressi for less than $20 on amazon. We have some of the short (travel fins) but DDs, DS have nice long scuba fins and DW is getting a nice Cressi split fin set for Christmas. You can pay out the nose for fins, but check out ebay. They have lightly used ones for pennies on the dollar there

The snorkel you describe sounds like the snorkels that competitive swimmers use for training. My teenager uses them for swim team practice. He also uses prescription speedo goggles, and fins. He’s planning on bringing his own gear on our cruise for snorkeling. It’s a different kind of snorkel/goggles setup than most will be using, but he’s comfortable with them and wears them all the time, so they’ll work fine. I say use whatever makes you comfortable. 🙂

Try this one This will attach to the side of the mask or goggles.

Also, these fins or similar. Since your 10 year old will most likely still grow, these will grow with her.

I would recommend a dry snorkel. I had a problem switching between SCUBA / Snorkel, and took a big drink of sea water more than once. I've had the same one for ~20 years, so they last a long time, if you take care of them. I would also check out a local SCUBA store.

I would recommend a dry snorkel. I had a problem switching between SCUBA / Snorkel, and took a big drink of sea water more than once. I've had the same one for ~20 years, so they last a long time, if you take care of them. I would also check out a local SCUBA store.

Sorry just saw this.
I used to work in a dive shop and also teach snorkeling. We usually stay away from dry snorkels for a few reasons. The most basic is cost vs use. For a lot of people on cruises, this may be a 1 off thing. So, some people cant justify a 50 or 60 snorkel for 1 time use, vs 20 or 30, (in this case 10). Another reason is that if they've never snorkeled before, if they get slapped with a wave, and the snorkel closes, you wont get that breath. If the water is a little choppy, it may become less the fun. The Semi drys, and even the standard snorkels, almost all come with exhalation valves so any water in them, drains out the bottom, as opposed to the old school where you have to blow water out the top. Also, some, depending on the make, can be top heavy. Aqualungs comes to mind.
You are correct. If you take proper care of your equipment, it can last a very long time. I still have my original mask from 1991 when I was first certified. It still fits and works, it just has my script in it from back then. I still have my original bcd also, that is still functional. I use it in the pool to do different odds and ends, ( have a newer bcd now) and I got that at the same time as my mask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!