Snoopy?

LINDATHEPOOH

Mouseketeer
I’m watching QVC this evening and one of the hosts announces she just heard Disney has acquired the Peanuts characters!?! Is this true? She didn’t say how she heard but she wasn’t kidding. Anyone confirm this or is it rumor?

From a quick Google search, it seems like they got The Peanuts Movie in the Fox deal. It seems another company actually owns the rights to the characters, though.

And in the US, Knott's Berry Farms has the rights, at least in Southern CA. In Europe, they are in Portaventura in Spain and in Universal Studios Osaka in Japan. I don't see them going to any Disney park in the US though. I wouldn't mind, because I love Snoopy. However, Disney has the Muppets and should do something with them.

And in the US, Knott's Berry Farms has the rights, at least in Southern CA. In Europe, they are in Portaventura in Spain and in Universal Studios Osaka in Japan. I don't see them going to any Disney park in the US though. I wouldn't mind, because I love Snoopy. However, Disney has the Muppets and should do something with them.
Snoopy is in the other parks owned by cedar fair too. Cedar point, kings island, kings dominion, etc. Knott's is part of the cedar fair company. Cedar point has 2 areas themed to snoopy. I hope they keep him in their parks.

Snoopy is in the other parks owned by cedar fair too. Cedar point, kings island, kings dominion, etc. Knott's is part of the cedar fair company. Cedar point has 2 areas themed to snoopy. I hope they keep him in their parks.
Yeah, Cedar Fair has had the theme parks Peanuts contract for a very long time.

IIRC, Peanuts publishing rights are owned by United Publishing, but the Shultz family still owns the IP and they are extremely protective of it and won't allow any new or derivative work.

The Shulz family maintains the ownership of the peanuts franchise and only leases out the use. They are notoriously protective of their brand. The acquisition of the movies were only as to the distribution of those movies and nothing else.

In Eastern PA, you will find a Peanuts themed land at in Dorney Park in Allentown. It was Camp Snoopy at one point, but it has been upgraded to Planet Snoopy. Prior to the upgrade, there were a few other kiddie rides scattered around the park. Now all of Dorney Park's kiddie rides are in Planet Snoopy. They have a food stand called "Suppertime", character meets and greets, and a small theater for shows.

Cedar Fair is investing heavily in expanding the Peanuts theming in all or most of its parks. The children's areas are being re-themed to Camp Snoopy or Planet Snoopy, old rides given basic overlays, new rides are themed very well. CF is expanding their operating days into the fall and winter in some parks that had previously been summer only parks, also integrating the Peanuts characters into the seasonal festivities. Several of the parks have running events (up to a half-marathon) where the course runs through the parks. Those events are entirely Peanuts-themed. At this point it seems it would be very difficult to suddenly loose the rights to use Peanuts in the parks.

The company has really stepped up their game recently too in their park near where I live. They are repairing infrastructure that has been neglected for too long so that it lasts decades into the future. They seem to be doing well financially.

I don't see Cedar Fair willingly parting ways with the Peanuts IP anytime soon, even when their current contract ends in 2025.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter