Smuggler's Run & DAS

Well, I asked a plaid yesterday about DAS and MFSR. It was interesting how little information had been given to the Hospitality CMs. According to this CM, they had been told about reservations being necessary to enter SWGE, but nothing about DAS or how accessibility might work. Basically, they were told the opening date and the need for reservations. He didn't even know that FP/MP wouldn't be available for MFSR through 6/23. That news really surprised him. I mentioned that he could find that on the Parks Blog -- he said he would have to look that up.
To be continued next week when I ask a different CM...
I did the opening of pandroa and was asking question of CM ( GR ones) and got a different answer each time. they really do not seem to know what is going on.

I plan on being at opening day for Disney world one. I did opening day for both pandra and TSL this one really has me concernd at lest it is opening on thursday so that might keep one person away due to work

I think the solution for DAS has to be unique because there will be no guarantee you can access that portion of the park at any time. They had to do that at Universal with Harry Potter - you had to wait in a several hour line just to get into that section (and then wait again for the rides). Since the whole section is an interactive attraction like Potter, it will probably be crowd controlled at least for the first few months. You may need a DAS just to get into Galaxy's Edge, let alone ride the ride(s).

We were in Disney this past President's week. I noticed there was a separate stand set up in front of Toy Story Land that said it was for DAS return times for Slinky Dog. We didn't stop there bc we had a fast pass, but I thought it was interesting. I never saw that before. I don't know if it was only because it was a very busy week or if they always do it. I wonder if they would do something similar for GE.

We were in Disney this past President's week. I noticed there was a separate stand set up in front of Toy Story Land that said it was for DAS return times for Slinky Dog. We didn't stop there bc we had a fast pass, but I thought it was interesting. I never saw that before. I don't know if it was only because it was a very busy week or if they always do it. I wonder if they would do something similar for GE.
are you talking about this if so it has been there almost since they day it opens it is also at 7DMT ( I think it had more to do with crowded control at the entrince ( I can not upload right now but it say disability and rider swap

Well, I asked a plaid yesterday about DAS and MFSR. It was interesting how little information had been given to the Hospitality CMs. According to this CM, they had been told about reservations being necessary to enter SWGE, but nothing about DAS or how accessibility might work. Basically, they were told the opening date and the need for reservations. He didn't even know that FP/MP wouldn't be available for MFSR through 6/23. That news really surprised him. I mentioned that he could find that on the Parks Blog -- he said he would have to look that up.
To be continued next week when I ask a different CM...
Actually they never said when FP might be available. As for lack ofninformaof i, it isn't surprising, the system may still be in development and training probably won't happen until a week or so before the opening.

I'm guessing they will have DAS holders go through the exit. I'm sure they will set up a small queue area for this purpose, similar to how they handle wheelchair riders on PotC and RSR.

We will find out since we use DAS for our son. He is very excited about this ride, in particular (the other ride will have to be something I ride first to see if I think he could handle it...the rumors of a drop are concerning because he would freak out on anything even remotely resembling Tower of Terror).

Opps! Just went into complete panic that Smugglers had the drop! Reread post and realized you were on about the Storm Trooper one! Phew!!!!! I have the same issue with drops - 39 year old woman crying like a baby is not a good look for anyone :D

It may also be that they will have out of the way places (hopefully with restrooms, drink and food available, as these all can be issues) to wait with one or two members of your party for the length of the line while the rest wait in line.

So to be fair this only works if you aren't travelling solo. I'm registered blind and because of my vision have issues with crowds and queues so use DAS very rarely when I know I wont be able to cope. I am going solo in September (booked before the announcement) and now panicking over GE. I want to go on Smugglers Run but really not sure I can cope with maneuvering in the crowds. Having some sort of DAS option will help with this although I still think it might be too busy to cope. I really hope they release info before the park officially opens so I can rethink plans if needed.

I think the solution for DAS has to be unique because there will be no guarantee you can access that portion of the park at any time. They had to do that at Universal with Harry Potter - you had to wait in a several hour line just to get into that section (and then wait again for the rides). Since the whole section is an interactive attraction like Potter, it will probably be crowd controlled at least for the first few months. You may need a DAS just to get into Galaxy's Edge, let alone ride the ride(s).

We inadvertently planned a trip for just days after the original HP section opened - and fortunately we were staying on-site at the Hard Rock so we got an early entry. The regular lines to get in that area when the park opened were just enormous (I remember sitting at the Dagwood & Blondie restaurant and they were all the way to there and past). Hours wait time just to get into the area.

Was it like that for Pandora? I'm guessing not lol! Geesh that was bad - had we not gotten early entry for HP and express pass for the rest of the park with the room I wouldn't want to do that again.

I've read that the lines for Pandora were around 3-4 hours just to get in the area and then another 3-4 to get on the rides

I've read that the lines for Pandora were around 3-4 hours just to get in the area and then another 3-4 to get on the rides
I was there opening day and the lines were very long I forget how ong my return time was but it was a few hours for sure Maybe 4

I was also there opening weekend for TSL and I heard more guess getting off SDD saying the wait was much shorter then posted.

Asked a Hospitality CM tonight about DAS and SWGE. She said the latest news is what we already know: there will be DAS for MFSR, but no one has any idea (still?!) how this will work. She thinks it may involve the currently unused FP line, but there has been no news from management. Also, she said there will be no kiosk inside SWGE, so the nearest kiosks to entrances/exits will be by HM or by Dumbo. She doesn't know if a return time would have to be requested before getting in the reservation entrance line for the land or if there will be CMs with handheld scanners at the ride line. She said to keep asking.. only 3 weeks to go! If anyone else gets an update on this, please post!

It may also be that they will have out of the way places (hopefully with restrooms, drink and food available, as these all can be issues) to wait with one or two members of your party for the length of the line while the rest wait in line.
I can't see Disney suddenly creating an attraction queu where this is allowed, never mind possible. The only attraction of which I'm aware this is both possible and practiced is Space Mountain in DLR.
and has to work their way through massive crowds
Again, I simply can't see Disney designing an attraction, queue, land with zero consideration for guests with disabilities.

My thoughts or maybe questions:)
Smugglers Run Disneyland (a month after opening) will have a virtual queue... so depending on how long the line is everyone will have a DAS (so to speak) so will this eliminate the DAS for this attraction?
It would be great if everyone just needs to be in line for 10-20 minutes
https://www.disneytouristblog.com/star-wars-land-boarding-pass-system/
I read this as you will have a return time to get into the land once inside you will have to wait in line for the ride I think this is where the DAS will come in to play

I read this as you will have a return time to get into the land once inside you will have to wait in line for the ride I think this is where the DAS will come in to play
Boo I think you’re correct. It would be nice if they had a virtual queue for Smugglers Run

Boo I think you’re correct. It would be nice if they had a virtual queue for Smugglers Run
They did have a 2+ hour wait just to get into pandora so it will help some I wonder if they will do this at Disney world too

I think they designed the entire land with ADA in mind, as they have to.... ;)
if the entire land is supposed to be an immersive experience, with lots of tech play (get out your phones and be led about activities by the Play app), it probably already is as accessible as it's going to be.

okay just my random "coffee break" thinking: if you enter Galaxy's Edge as an immersive role-playing experience, you are SUPPOSED to be there for 2-5 hours. remember, your Play app and MB (and linked CC ;) )will give your party the tools it needs to navigate.

kind of like a spin on a locked room experience, you are not supposed to just pop in and out and have a blue milk and then go ride ToT and then go be a Jedi and then have a meal at Sci-Fi. you are supposed to be, essentially, trapped there until you have checked off all the boxes on the Play app, you've ridden the ride/s (with data recording your Experience Points), you've had a meal, the CM's get to interact with you, and you've bought "enough" merchandise.

I don't think they need to necessarily provide extra service via the DAS, if the party in question does their research about how they are going to manage themselves. Like, if you need to be in close proximity to a toilet, plan your activities accordingly and maybe only have one time where you wait in a line for an hour. If the screen-time itself is the trigger for your DAS needs, then GE might not be a good visit, considering how much of the Land absolutely depends on technology. But I am sure they are designing doorways and walkways that are suitable for mobility devices, they are designing more companion bathrooms, and there might even be a satellite First Aid/Baby Care station placed nearby, based on guest demand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter