Smuggler's Run & DAS

Do you think that they will be stricter on issueing DAS when the land first opens? I planned a trip during what I thought would be a slow time because I have a party member with severe anxiety, triggered by crowds. I was going to try to get a das for him, but I figured worst case, if they said no, the triggers would be minimal (though he did have panic attacks in some of the Disney lines even on a greed day). Now, I will definitely need it, but I am worried that they will super strict on who gets one or I will get a cm who only gives to autistic kids or something.

I don't think anything will change in how they determine suitability for a DAS. They are not just for autistic people.

No, you don't need to be staying onsite at Disneyland to get into the land. They will be opening up free reservations to access the land to everyone. Hotel guests will get one guaranteed reservation during their stay, but the land will be open to anyone who gets a reservation via the sign up online.
Oh ok I will not be going to Disneyland so I have not kept up to date on how they are doing things. But it sounds like you need a reservation and unles you have a reservation you not getting in the land and I do not think the DAS will help them but if you do get a reservation then you will be able to use the DAS inside the land

I have to figure out the DAS for both coasts for travel with my sister, as I will be in DLR for the D23 Expo in August and then a couple days at the park. Then I was planning a possible WDW trip for Sept-Nov timeframe, expecting SW:GE not to open until late Nov-Dec timeframe at WDW.

I think if they extend the reservation system at DLR through the end of the summer, we would be required to first have the reservation to access the land and then after entry, they would have a system in place for the DAS. Since they currently plan for the reservation system to only be in place through 6/21, I figure I will have to wait until July to find out what is in place. My guess is that it just means that if the lines are 4 hours when we get the DAS, we will just have her DAS tied up for 4 hours. My hope is that with the DAS the waits are still under 20 minutes, ONCE we have completed the necessary wait time.

EDITING TO CLEAR UP MY LAST LINE.

Last edited:
I have to figure out the DAS for both coasts for travel with my sister, as I will be in DLR for the D23 Expo in August and then a couple days at the park. Then I was planning a possible WDW trip for Sept-Nov timeframe, expecting SW:GE not to open until late Nov-Dec timeframe at WDW.

I think if they extend the reservation system at DLR through the end of the summer, we would be required to first have the reservation to access the land and then after entry, they would have a system in place for the DAS. Since they currently plan for the reservation system to only be in place through 6/21, I figure I will have to wait until July to find out what is in place. My guess is that it just means that if the lines are 4 hours when we get the DAS, we will just have her DAS tied up for 4 hours. My hope is that with the DAS the waits are still under 20 minutes.
Yeah, but at Disneyland, get Maxpass and that will help dramatically, as you can get a FP for your next ride while still in line for one. Honestly, having Maxpass has dramatically reduced my need for a DAS and there are some visits I never get a return time on the DAS, depending on what attractions we want to do that day of course.

As for Galaxy's Edge, pick one coast to do it on, as they say both versions are going to be identical.

Yeah, but at Disneyland, get Maxpass and that will help dramatically, as you can get a FP for your next ride while still in line for one. ...

As for Galaxy's Edge, pick one coast to do it on, as they say both versions are going to be identical.

I already plan to get MaxPass since there are attractions she will not do that I want to try. As for focusing on a coast, for now, that is the Pacific. The WDW trip is not 100% right now, but I have a 3 day park hopper that expires and I was hoping to use it without having to put towards a different ticket. If I can do GE in DLR, then if I do make it to WDW in the fall and the lines are too long, we could just avoid that area.

I already plan to get MaxPass since there are attractions she will not do that I want to try. As for focusing on a coast, for now, that is the Pacific. The WDW trip is not 100% right now, but I have a 3 day park hopper that expires and I was hoping to use it without having to put towards a different ticket. If I can do GE in DLR, then if I do make it to WDW in the fall and the lines are too long, we could just avoid that area.
I am saying, get Maxpass for her too, so even if the DAS is tied up for four hours, it actually won't be as big of a deal.

I am saying, get Maxpass for her too, so even if the DAS is tied up for four hours, it actually won't be as big of a deal.

Oh, that was a given that it would be for each of us. At WDW, we tend to do more FP+ than DAS as it is easier to plan. I think the most we have used her DAS at WDW since FP+ came to be was about 3 times in one day. We usually just do FP+ as we go along. The day we did 3 was Easter Sunday at MK with even rides that normally are 5-10 minutes having 30 minute waits.

With 4 plus hours lines I don’t see how DAS could have 20 minute waits. If it does happen many people will abuse the system and sign up for DAS

Sorry, it seems I need to spell everything out today.

After waiting the 4 hours for the DAS to become available, I am hoping that the actual wait from checking in with a CM for the DAS, after the 4 hour wait, is still under 20 minutes.

Example using current attraction: When we procure the DAS for TSM, the return time is 1 hour later. Upon returning for the DAS, when we check in (tap the Mickey Head at the FP line), we still wait for whatever length the FP line is at that time. I have had that be 5 minutes to 25 minutes. So, I am hoping once checking in for SW: GE attraction, that the wait to actually do the attraction is not too much over 20-30 minutes, which can be the panic line for my sister.

Sorry, it seems I need to spell everything out today.

After waiting the 4 hours for the DAS to become available, I am hoping that the actual wait from checking in with a CM for the DAS, after the 4 hour wait, is still under 20 minutes.

Example using current attraction: When we procure the DAS for TSM, the return time is 1 hour later. Upon returning for the DAS, when we check in (tap the Mickey Head at the FP line), we still wait for whatever length the FP line is at that time. I have had that be 5 minutes to 25 minutes. So, I am hoping once checking in for SW: GE attraction, that the wait to actually do the attraction is not too much over 20-30 minutes, which can be the panic line for my sister.
My guess since there is no FP just DAS and rider swap the line when you return should move fast ( like no or very little line before you tap for the second time

At Disneyland, we can do Maxpass and a light day and be ok. Going on busy days has me nervous because I have never done that with my husband (he was severe anxiety). He actually went into a panic attack when I told him about the opening, so I am trying to manage things the best I can (my daughters have been dreaming of this trip for years- we aren’t regular diesnyworld people or I would cancel). He said if no DAS, he will not do Star Wars period. Even walking the streets and looking at shops is freaking him out right now. So, I am hoping they will have something set up that we can make work. I might need to search the maps and find places we can duck out when crowds get too much or something.

With 4 plus hours lines I don’t see how DAS could have 20 minute waits. If it does happen many people will abuse the system and sign up for DAS
No, it will be a 4 hour plus wait, just when they return it will be 20 minutes, but that could definitely lead to some abuse. That being said, I think the abuse will be minimal.

At Disneyland, we can do Maxpass and a light day and be ok. Going on busy days has me nervous because I have never done that with my husband (he was severe anxiety). He actually went into a panic attack when I told him about the opening, so I am trying to manage things the best I can (my daughters have been dreaming of this trip for years- we aren’t regular diesnyworld people or I would cancel). He said if no DAS, he will not do Star Wars period. Even walking the streets and looking at shops is freaking him out right now. So, I am hoping they will have something set up that we can make work. I might need to search the maps and find places we can duck out when crowds get too much or something.
After reading more, it sounds like Disney is planning something to accommodate those with crowd issues, as they know this area will be problematic for a while for that. What form that will take I really don't know, but it sounds like it may be a solution we haven't seen before, but they have made it clear that they want EVERYONE to be able to have an enjoyable time in Galaxy's Edge.

It may also be that they will have out of the way places (hopefully with restrooms, drink and food available, as these all can be issues) to wait with one or two members of your party for the length of the line while the rest wait in line.

Sorry if this is a silly question, its our first trip. My son has a diagnosis for Autism and ADHD. We were going in September and the longest touring plan we had before this announcement was 4.5 hours in a day for that reason.

If the return time was 4 hours are you able to leave the park and return to ride?

Usually. But as cmwade said, the DAS solution here may be a unique one. We'll have to see.

Usually. But as cmwade said, the DAS solution here may be a unique one. We'll have to see.
It may honestly have to be a unique one, as the regular solutions may not be capable of providing the required accommodations, for example if someone has crowd issues and comes back at a return time and has to work their way through massive crowds that isn't going to work. I have no idea how they can do anything about that, but it is a potential issue for a while.

I was smiling at not using the DAS on Kali made smile because the accomodations there are excellent, lol.

It will be interesting to see how they handle DAS, as wait times will be 4-6 hours I am guessing. Perhaps they will allow us (my son needs DAS not me) to get a 2nd one if one is for a SW ride.

I have some concerns about lines that go on for 4-6 hours in the summer heat, I think MANY guests will struggle with that situation. Heck, I would and I am a relatively healthy 60 year old. I may book WDW for January, and hope both rides will be open, and either way, cooler temps to enjoy the land. I will be at DL in August, D23, but not with my son, so i will see it there first.

I was smiling at not using the DAS on Kali made smile because the accomodations there are excellent, lol.

It will be interesting to see how they handle DAS, as wait times will be 4-6 hours I am guessing. Perhaps they will allow us (my son needs DAS not me) to get a 2nd one if one is for a SW ride.

I have some concerns about lines that go on for 4-6 hours in the summer heat, I think MANY guests will struggle with that situation. Heck, I would and I am a relatively healthy 60 year old. I may book WDW for January, and hope both rides will be open, and either way, cooler temps to enjoy the land. I will be at DL in August, D23, but not with my son, so i will see it there first.

I doubt it (and, frankly, kind of hope not). DAS users will already have a huge advantage of being able to do other things during the four-six hours that others will be standing in line (eat, shop, use the bathroom, do other rides with lines that are shorter, etc., use FPs). Being able to get a second DAS would just increase this advantage. And then we'd have a lot of people thinking it was worth lying/exagerating to get one.

I doubt it (and, frankly, kind of hope not). DAS users will already have a huge advantage of being able to do other things during the four-six hours that others will be standing in line (eat, shop, use the bathroom, do other rides with lines that are shorter, etc., use FPs). Being able to get a second DAS would just increase this advantage. And then we'd have a lot of people thinking it was worth lying/exagerating to get one.
Yeah, they will not allow it, that much is a definite, but you still have FP available to you during the wait time. honestly Maxpass often works better than a DAS at rides with FP. Many times the return time is sooner than the standby wait time would be. So that is one potential solution during the 4 to 6 hours.

Well, I asked a plaid yesterday about DAS and MFSR. It was interesting how little information had been given to the Hospitality CMs. According to this CM, they had been told about reservations being necessary to enter SWGE, but nothing about DAS or how accessibility might work. Basically, they were told the opening date and the need for reservations. He didn't even know that FP/MP wouldn't be available for MFSR through 6/23. That news really surprised him. I mentioned that he could find that on the Parks Blog -- he said he would have to look that up.
To be continued next week when I ask a different CM...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!