>> Smoking at Disney Resorts FAQ <<

Sadly, this happens all too often. Primary reason? WDW has not picked an Authoritative Source for DSA's :(. MDE is generally good with regard to PARKS, but a disaster with regard to HOTELS.

So what to do? All a suggestion from here....

MDE is a Website. It can be updated FAR Faster than printed Material. It's "official". Hence? I suggest that MDE IS the Authoritative Source for current DSA locations. Fire it up, and show people what it says -including CMs. If MDE data becomes questionable in one area? It becomes questionable in ALL areas :(.

Now, none of this is "pushy", as long as WDW UPDATES their official tool, as should be done - or has another suggestion that WORKS, as opposed to "hunt" :(. We WANT to obey the rules... but you sort of need to tell us what the rules ARE, this week :(.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

you are definitely right. how can you expect people to follow rules when they are unclear? both smokers and nonsmokers need to know the DSA locations when requesting rooms or checking in if they want to be near one or far away from one. my husbands smokes and at WDW I push him in a wheelchair. if we are not far from one, he can walk on his own. if not, I have to push him to it everytime he wants a smoke, so we would like to be near one.

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I didn’t read every post in the thread, mainly b/c things change constantly at WDW. It is my understanding that you can smoke on the deck of your cabin at Ft Wilderness campground...anyone have recent experience with this?

Ok posts 117 and 160 re the Fort! We stayed there this past April and is a major reason we are going there in November.

Last edited:
Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I didn’t read every post in the thread, mainly b/c things change constantly at WDW. It is my understanding that you can smoke on the deck of your cabin at Ft Wilderness campground...anyone have recent experience with this?

Ok posts 117 and 160 re the Fort! We stayed there this past April and is a major reason we are going there in November.

Yes! You can smoke on your porch at the cabins. That's why it's my new favorite resort. Bring your own ashtray, though. I use the one from my car that fits in a cup holder.

so.. apparently the moderators of this thread don't think it's important enough to keep it updated. smokers are trying to obey the rules.. but they aren't allowed to know the rules? my hubby smokes and is disabled. we will be at cbr from sept 10- 20. i will be pushing him in a wheelchair in the parks and mostly around the resort. but if we aren'ttoo far from the quiet pool or a dsa he can walk himself.
why is it so hard to find out where the current DSAs are? you would think this would be imp. imformation to let guests know ahead of time.. both smokers and those wishing to avoid smoke.

Last edited:

so.. apparently the moderators of this thread don't think it's important enough to keep it updated. smokers are trying to obey the rules.. but they aren't allowed to know the rules? my hubby smokes and is disabled. we will be at cbr from sept 10- 20. i will be pushing him in a wheelchair in the parks and mostly around the resort. but if we aren'ttoo far from the quiet pool or a dsa he can walk himself.
why is it so hard to find out where the current DSAs are? you would think this would be imp. imformation to let guests know ahead of time.. both smokers and those wishing to avoid smoke.

Please let me know what you feel is out of date in the first post and I'll fix it. If it's the resort maps on wdwinfo.com that I link to, the DISboards moderators have no control over what's on that site; there's no way for me to update those maps. You can certainly contact the webmasters over there via the Contact Us link at the bottom of that page and ask them to post newer maps.

If you're asking for us to provide up-to-date maps of smoking areas here on this thread, I'm not sure that's going to solve the problem. The smoking areas change so often that even Disney doesn't keep their maps up to date. That's one of the purposes of this thread: those who've been to WDW can keep each other informed of where the smoking areas are currently located.

If someone wants to comb through this thread and create a post with the current locations of all smoking areas at all resorts, and keep that up to date, that would be great. It's not something I have the bandwidth to do myself.

so.. apparently the moderators of this thread don't think it's important enough to keep it updated. smokers are trying to obey the rules.
I see Lynne responded, but I'm still going to post my immediate thought.

this board has one moderator, a volunteer like all the mods. It's reasonable to expect she (they all) work with the information available.

I honestly can't see any resort adding DSAs. Removing, yes. I can't see any moderator providing unsubstantiated information, either. Poster's with definitive information (e.g. current maps, in this case) can provide the information to the DIS, and it can be updated.

and now, off to read Lynne M's response :D

then I offer my apologies. It's not the moderators fault that current info isn't provided. I guess it's Disney's fault. it's frustrating to request an area because there is a DSA nearby, only to have it moved. I guess smokers like my husband should be grateful to still have any DSAs at all :(

Please let me know what you feel is out of date in the first post and I'll fix it. If it's the resort maps on wdwinfo.com that I link to, the DISboards moderators have no control over what's on that site; there's no way for me to update those maps. You can certainly contact the webmasters over there via the Contact Us link at the bottom of that page and ask them to post newer maps.

If you're asking for us to provide up-to-date maps of smoking areas here on this thread, I'm not sure that's going to solve the problem. The smoking areas change so often that even Disney doesn't keep their maps up to date. That's one of the purposes of this thread: those who've been to WDW can keep each other informed of where the smoking areas are currently located.

If someone wants to comb through this thread and create a post with the current locations of all smoking areas at all resorts, and keep that up to date, that would be great. It's not something I have the bandwidth to do myself.

Look, I HAVE to like this. Even MDE does NOT show valid DSA's, on a regular basis. This really IS a Disney problem.

To this day, Disney has no AUTHORITATIVE SOURCE for DSA's. I'm BEGGING for them to pick one. Even the CMs are confused :(.

So I'm just going to suggest: WHAT DOES MDE SAY? If it shows a DSA? SHOW MDE TO A CONFUSSED CM. THAT is an official DSA.
Now, if WDW wishes to let us know that MDE is NOT "official"? Fine. PICK Something. Just please, let's stop the "where are the REAL DSA's TODAY?" routine.
Really, we're TRYING to obey the rules... don't WANT to offend others. Just want to know where you wish to "camp" us....

ITA! it shouldn't be that difficult for disney to post a map of the current DSAs at the resorts

I just returned from a trip and hope my findings are helpful.
We stayed at OKW, and visited the Poly, CR, and WL.
Their DSAs although fewer and far between than previous years were very easy to find by using the DSA map in MDE.
The parks are a somewhat different story.
MK has only the two (walkway along the train tracks between SM and Barnstormer/and near the exit to BTMRR) Wish there was one located in the vicinity of the hub/Main St.
HS the one near the exit from ToT and the one on the right past Muppets 3D are easy to find.
Now EP and AK totally different story. I’d load the map then do a search for DSAs and try to GPS my way there. Never properly located as the map would indicate but in the general vicinity.
I would have never imagined I’d use GPS to have a smoke lol

I just returned from a trip and hope my findings are helpful.
We stayed at OKW, and visited the Poly, CR, and WL.
Their DSAs although fewer and far between than previous years were very easy to find by using the DSA map in MDE.
The parks are a somewhat different story.
MK has only the two (walkway along the train tracks between SM and Barnstormer/and near the exit to BTMRR) Wish there was one located in the vicinity of the hub/Main St.
HS the one near the exit from ToT and the one on the right past Muppets 3D are easy to find.
Now EP and AK totally different story. I’d load the map then do a search for DSAs and try to GPS my way there. Never properly located as the map would indicate but in the general vicinity.
I would have never imagined I’d use GPS to have a smoke lol

BE AWARE that the DSA near the MK tomorrow-land Train Tracks has been, or will soon, be relocated. I expected this to occur, due to park construction....

Just grateful that WDW did not take this as an opportunity to further reduce DSL's from SEVEN to ONE. Still TWO - DSL near boats is outside of Security - hence, not in the MK. Being "not real", hoping it is eliminated.

Does anyone know if the one between Japan and Morocco in Epcot World Showcase is still there? It was the only decent one with a place to sit out of the sun. MDE is now showing one on the bridge area between France and UK which is again in direct sunlight.

WORTH NOTING.... I have, more than once, complained about an AUTHORITATIVE SOURCE for DSA's....

It appears WDW has provided one. Check out WDW's Own Words for AUTHORITATIVE DSA's.
This is SIGNIFICANT.... Please, copy this photo to your Cell Phone. If challenged by a CM? Use MDE, and policy statement, to establish REAL DSA.

So where exactly is this located? Is it on the private patio area just before the bridge on the France side? I know in years past, they have moved it to the wall area of the France pavilion overlooking the channel. If they moved it to the "island", that area is often occupied by private parties. Just curious.

Just back from a 3 week stay - saw several people smoking in Disney Springs - talked to a security guard about one that he had walked by just outside of the Lego store so he went back and showed them where they could go to smoke. Saw one person exit the cigar shop with a lit up cigar - surprised that the shop staff allowed him to light it in the store and then let him walk out smoking it. Spoke to 4 others and explained the smoking rules to them - all said that they were unaware of the no smoking policy or that there were smoking areas for them to go to - all of this in just one evening visit. Saw another lady sitting on a low wall opposite the Carousel in MK smoking just before the fireworks - guess she thought that nobody would notice in the dark! Also saw one man smoking as he emerged from his accommodation block at POFQ and head towards the pool. He saw me looking at him so he quickly put out his cigarette before actually entering the pool area.

From these recent experiences it would seem that security is getting lax at Disney Springs and that more and prominent signage is required to inform people of the policies in force.

I have not read through the entire thread so forgive me if this has been already said. The garbage cans or ashtrays near smoking areas in the resorts used to have signage on them to indicate a designated smoking area. The signage has been removed. We stayed at CBR in May and are currently at SSR and people are now treating all benches as smoking areas, whether or not an ashtray is present. I preferred the signage because people respected it.

Does anyone know if the DVC longhouses at the Poly have smoking areas on the 2nd floor stairways as the other longhouses do?

Just returned from our stay at All Star Sports & for any smokers considering a stay there please know all 3 DSAs were very nice & conveniently located. The resort is compact & any room would be close to one & for non smokers they are clearly marked & easily avoided just by staying on the regular walking paths.

Despite this we saw several people smoking outside their rooms. We rounded up 3 of them & showed them our closest DSA ourselves. I was headed out for a smoke late one evening & a guy a few rooms down from us saw me & tried to hide his cigarette in the bushes. I told him the smoking policy & said he was welcome to join me as I was headed to the DSA myself. He mumbled something at me threw his still lit butt on the sidewalk & stomped back in his room. I headed to the lobby to report the incident but a security guard was coming around the corner so I told him & he thanked me & said he would take care of it & was knocking on the guy's door as I went on to the DSA. I guess it worked because neither of us saw him smoking outside his room after that.

BE AWARE that the DSA near the MK tomorrow-land Train Tracks has been, or will soon, be relocated. I expected this to occur, due to park construction....

Just grateful that WDW did not take this as an opportunity to further reduce DSL's from SEVEN to ONE. Still TWO - DSL near boats is outside of Security - hence, not in the MK. Being "not real", hoping it is eliminated.

Just FYI: This DSA IMO is much better than the old one. It's mostly shaded & has lots of seating & fans, too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!