>> Smoking at Disney Resorts FAQ <<

These were the only 2 DSA's I found in the MK. This one is easy to find and in a central location. It's to the right of the Adventureland entrance and left of the bridge to Liberty Square; is a fairly large area and quite comfortable with lots of seating:

P1020814_zpsr4iwkne3.jpg

Seated on the benches, this is the "view". It keeps the area fairly "hidden" from the non-smoking public and to be honest, I missed the spot more than once walking by with my family.

P1020817_zps1gudm58j.jpg

THIS one was VERY hard for me to find. I gave up one night and just went to the old area by the Tomorrowland Speedway; a long, frustrating evening with family :rolleyes1 (we've ALL had those times :rotfl:) and figured all they'd do is tell me to put it out. It was near closing time and the area was deserted. A couple nights later I was bound and determined to find this so I could post here. It's W-A-Y around the back of Space Mountain...you enter the area (and it looks like a "dead end") to the left of SM. Had I not spotted a smoker on the benches along this side I might not ever have found it. There's an area around the back of SM that is TOTALLY private ... I didn't even know it existed and this was our 19th trip! This is the exit area building of SM...seating is along the railing:

P1030921_zpsvh7unxpg.jpg

P1030922_zpsvtjaiayq.jpg

:tink:

That SM location is a good one, it's nicely hidden and non smokers rarely go back there so they usually don't walk into a surprise they weren't looking for. If you follow along that back path there, there is also another smoking area along it. If this first location is overly crowded we usually walk a couple more minutes on the path to the other one and there is usually no one there.

We also like the smoking area near Big Thunder Mountain. It's off to the side right by the water.

I don't like the one by the entrance to Adventureland, it's always too crowded and too much traffic.

That SM location is a good one, it's nicely hidden and non smokers rarely go back there so they usually don't walk into a surprise they weren't looking for. If you follow along that back path there, there is also another smoking area along it. If this first location is overly crowded we usually walk a couple more minutes on the path to the other one and there is usually no one there.

We also like the smoking area near Big Thunder Mountain. It's off to the side right by the water.

I don't like the one by the entrance to Adventureland, it's always too crowded and too much traffic.

I agree on the SM location...I wish I'd have found it sooner. Is the 2nd location back there to the left...I think it's the walkway between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland? Our time was so short (6 days but SO much to see/do during the Holidays :faint:) I never had a chance to check that out. I thought there was a DSA by Thunder Mountain but wasn't sure so didn't want to say anything. We rode BTMRR as a family and I will not make my girls wait for me while I take a break so I didn't get a chance to try that one. I will say, like I've said many times before, I meet the most interesting/fun people in the DSA's! I SO enjoyed visiting with my "new friends"! :thumbsup2 :tink:

At the resorts, I saw people smoking in areas that were not DSAs but were away from other people. In the parks, the smoking areas were pretty busy. I saw people vaping everywhere, including places that were not DSAs.

I agree on the SM location...I wish I'd have found it sooner. Is the 2nd location back there to the left...I think it's the walkway between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland? Our time was so short (6 days but SO much to see/do during the Holidays :faint:) I never had a chance to check that out. I thought there was a DSA by Thunder Mountain but wasn't sure so didn't want to say anything. We rode BTMRR as a family and I will not make my girls wait for me while I take a break so I didn't get a chance to try that one. I will say, like I've said many times before, I meet the most interesting/fun people in the DSA's! I SO enjoyed visiting with my "new friends"! :thumbsup2 :tink:

Yes, the second location is on the walkway between tomorrowland and fantasyland, no one is ever back there so it's nice and quiet but we rarely use it because we never use that walkway. We were also just there for 6 days and we only used that location once. The BTMRR one is nice, it's there but it's not obvious what it is at first and you can just look at the water. While we there I actually spotted my first MK alligator! I agree! We always meet such nice people, and sometimes people even from where we live back home. At our resort we would have a cigarette in the morning before we left for the day and every morning we would see the same older woman who was so nice and so sweet, she was staying for 16 days by herself and we loved talking to her.

Now, what confuses me (and I don't know "vaping") is the ban in e-ciggs. Isn't what comes from those little more that flavored (or infused) water vapor?

e-cigarettes are not banned, they just fall into the anything that creates a vapor/smoke must be used at designated area rule. I carry one with me that is still in the package unopened just in case. It has nicotine in it, it's not just water vapor.

I just happened to look up on the park rules and it seems the refillable ones are no longer listed under prohibited items. the "vaping" ones are usually the flavored liquid and and just water vapor but they also look very toy like (and might fit under the weapon like ban), especially the bottle of liquid that you don't know if it's really that. I really don't mind that ban, there are alternatives which, to me, don't look like a toy that might influence a child.

These were the only 2 DSA's I found in the MK.

The commonly available 2 you are missing are back by BTMR (the dock/seating area just left of the tom sawyer boats). The back path between barn stormer and space mountain. there's a dog walking area with seats, that is also a smoking section.

Also sometimes the space mountain one moves to the seating area on the other side. (Usually that is during the MNSSHP where the path is used for trick or treating spot).

Folks, please keep this thread on topic. These FAQ threads get long enough, and difficult to navigate, without off-topic conversation and photos.

FAQ threads are not like other board threads. This FAQ was created to help guests who are planning Disney resort stays to understand Disney's smoking policies at the resorts, and find the designated smoking areas at resorts. If a post doesn't specifically relate to either of those topics, it doesn't belong on this thread and will be deleted.

Since the Theme Parks board doesn't currently have a FAQ for discussion of DSAs and smoking in the parks, I'm willing to leave the posts about the MK DSAs here for now. If the TPAS mods create a FAQ for their board, that discussion will move over there.

Do the resort gift shops sell cigarettes....or where can I purchase them on property?

Do the resort gift shops sell cigarettes....or where can I purchase them on property?

Usually under the counter in the hotel gift stores. They can also be purchased (under the counter) at some of the Disney owned gift stores.

I believe they still do, however they are extra expensive!

Crazy expensive AND limited selection. You would be better off stopping at the Speedway Gas Station (near BWI or at Disney Springs) You can walk to the station near BWI.

Yes, find the gift shop that sells alcohol. That register has a drawer with a small selection (marlboro: red, light, menthol, newports and sometimes others like Parliament blue). They were $11 a pack last time I purchased (and I'm from NYC so it was a discount since it's normally $14.50 here).

My post #3 has some more information and how to get them lower at the couple gas stations you can get to by walking if you have the time. Basically from disney springs or boadwalk. http://www.disboards.com/threads/smoking-at-disney-resorts-faq-new.3436049/#post-54216966

I have a Garden view booked at POFQ (didn't necessarily want garden view, but that was all that is available). What should I request to be close to a DSA? And preferably also close to main building and bus stop? But DSA is top priority.

I have a Garden view booked at POFQ (didn't necessarily want garden view, but that was all that is available). What should I request to be close to a DSA? And preferably also close to main building and bus stop? But DSA is top priority.

I would word your request as "Close to DSA". POFQ is so small and compact that every room is what I would consider close to the main building and bus stop.

Bummer about vaping being included, but I suppose I understand it. Makes the rules simple when you don't have to worry about exceptions. That said, I don't particularly want to smell like smoke, so I guess I won't be vaping down there. :)

Any changes to smoking location to DT Disney/ Disney Spring. I pick up cigars at Sosa's and usually sit out side at House Of Blues or Bongo's.

I loved POFQ, very good smoking areas when we were there in September. Our room was steps from smoking area by game room.

Just checked in today and all the maps are wrong. POFQ completely redid the smoking sections and most of them are gone. I ahven't walked the entire resort but the ones I found are near the arcade, outside by the entrance closer to the buses, all the way in the back on the dock between building 5 and the pool and next to building 4 on the parking lot side. All the others as far as I can tell have been removed. This is probably not the only resort with a major overhaul of smoking areas.

We just got back. I must say that the Polynesian seems to have more DSA's than any other resort we've stayed in. There is one near almost every building, one near the marina, the entrance to the Great Ceremonial Hall, and probably more I never found. There are 2 listed at AK, but I only used the one back by Dinosaur! and it was a very nice, shaded spot. At MK, didn't know about the one by Space Mountain, but I like the one on the trail between Tomorrowland and the Circus area. EPCOT has, by far the most. My two favorites are one behind a kiosk between Japan and Morocco and one between China and Norway. HS has a few, but my favorite is right next to The Great Movie Ride. It is an AWESOME place to sit and people watch! I did see several people walking around the resort smoking and I felt that was wrong. All in all, it may take a bit of planning, but Disney does attempt to put these DSA's in a pleasant area.

We were at Sports last week, and they only had two listed on their map (the side entrance of the food court and walking towards the hoops section), but there was another one at the end of the football field. So, there is one at each end of the field essentially (the one from the food court is on the other side of some bushes).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter