>> Smoking at Disney Resorts FAQ <<

Prior to the pool refurbishment at Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House I wrote to the resort manager about the poor condition of the smoking areas at the resort (perished,leaking fabric on umbrella/lack of shade and space for number of people using the limited space etc). We had 10 days of torrential rain in May and smokers were basically sitting on wet seats while the rain dripped through the canvas or were trying to cram 10-12 people under a small area of canvas. From my room at the far end of the resort, it was a 5 minute walk to either of the two smoking areas and then a miserable, wet experience as I dripped back through the hotel. The manager assured me this would be looked at in the refurb. Has anyone been to Jambo House recently who can confirm if they have upgraded the two smoking areas (one by the pool/gym and one by the bus waiting area)? If they haven't, I might have to drop him another e-mail.

I love cigars. That’s all I smoke. When at the resorts I will goto a bench and enjoy a cigar. At pop this is always by the lake. No one has any issues and I’m away from the pool lobby area. The bench’s by the hour glass lake is a great place to enjoy a cigar or just unwind.

I posted this in the CBR thread but figured I'd put it here too.

Not sure if this has in impact for most, but there were no smoking areas on the map they gave me (they are listed in the app). When I got my room ready text I looked at the map and didn't see any mention of smoking areas on it. So at one point when we were in the food court I went to the front desk for a map. They gave it to me, and had no smoking areas. I asked, and she said you can smoke anywhere there is a bench and a garbage can. It felt odd because there were no marked garbage cans for smoking anywhere. I ended up asking another worker at one point later, and she said the same thing. I mostly smoked in the parking lot as it was close and I was away from people. Although the first in the morning and last at night happened on the bench with garbage can beside it (listed on the app as a smoking area) 20 feet from our room. I know a lot of people hate us smokers, but some of us are considerate. I really tried to be where I was supposed to, but had no idea where that was (at the resort, the parks were well marked).

I could be off base - but lacking any other data? I would consider the MDE app DEFINITIVE. If the app shows a DSA, it's a DSA.

Else? WDW needs to tell us all "WHAT is the DEFINITIVE authority for a DSA?". PICK something. We'll all adhere to it :).

We ran into issues during our 2017 visit due to relying on the MDE locations being displayed. The one in front our our room (4111) showed in Jamaica 41 courtyard, there was no ashtray but the CM we spoke to said it would be okay to still smoke there since it showed on the app. Having an 8yo take naps, we requested a room close to DSA so we could sit outside, talk, have a smoke, and still see and be seen from our room. So two days of no one saying anything, we kept our butts picked up so no littering, 3rd day we have a CM stop by and said they had someone complain to the resort we were smoking in an area not meant for smoking and it was coming in their room. I used MDE and literally stood on the DSA according the MDE location, showing it to the CM. The CM said we needed to find an ashtray and use that area to smoke in (closest one around the corner no sight line to the room) . Apparently even following MDE isn't always reliable either.

I have found any bench kinda away from stuff Is fine. No issue no fuss. At POP. The bench’s near the bridge are all great. The main thing is if the bench is away from buildings. And away from pool. There is a 99.9% chance. It’s a smoking area. When we stay st POFQ. The benchs randomly around resort away from building. Are all fine. Just not near pool and etc.
I will confess...I don't smoke cigarettes. Only cigars and that smoke is a whole lot better smelling than a chemical laced cigarette. Pipe smoke is just plain fantastic to smell..

Last edited:

Smoking improvements at the All Star Music. In back in August 2016, the All Star Music Resort had the strangest smoking area. It was just past the laundry by the pool closest to the main building. It was about 40' away from the Calypso rooms and 40' from the main building. Weird, it was right out in the open.

As of Dec 2018, they had two. One on the far side of the resort, near the rooms with the giant Boot. It was a nice shaded place with tables and benches. The other was on the corner of the main building, near where the staff entrance is. Both were really nice.

I love cigars. That’s all I smoke. When at the resorts I will goto a bench and enjoy a cigar. At pop this is always by the lake. No one has any issues and I’m away from the pool lobby area. The bench’s by the hour glass lake is a great place to enjoy a cigar or just unwind.

But it is not okay if not a DSA. As you may be unaware, someone with astma or other respiratory issues, will be unaware of your smoking outside of a DSA and it could trigger an asthma attack or worse and really hamper their vacation. Please stick to the DSA's for other folks health.

Just a heads up, but as of May 1st, Disney just announced no more smoking inside any theme park, water park, espn complex or downtown disney california.
Designated areas still exist at disney springs.
Also designated areas will be arranged outside all of the parks.

This truly stinks, but I guess I will be spending less time in the parks and spending less money on adult beverages which typically spark my desire for :smokin:. I wish we would have been given the heads up though--may have changed my plans for May and October--but I am committed because we rented DVC points.

Just a heads up, but as of May 1st, Disney just announced no more smoking inside any theme park, water park, espn complex or downtown disney california.
Designated areas still exist at disney springs.
Also designated areas will be arranged outside all of the parks.

Here’s the official word from Disney:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-before-you-go-tips-for-your-next-park-visit/

I’d like to remind everyone that this FAQ thread is for discussion of smoking areas at Disney resorts at WDW, which are unaffected by this policy change. If you’d like to comment on the new policy, please post on the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies board or the Disneyland board. Posts on this thread that do not pertain to smoking policies at resorts will be removed without comment.

Here’s the official word from Disney:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-before-you-go-tips-for-your-next-park-visit/

I’d like to remind everyone that this FAQ thread is for discussion of smoking areas at Disney resorts at WDW, which are unaffected by this policy change. If you’d like to comment on the new policy, please post on the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies board or the Disneyland board. Posts on this thread that do not pertain to smoking policies at resorts will be removed without comment.

Thanks for that bit of information; I was under the impression DSA's in resorts would also be moved. Makes the new policy a lot "easier to take" as I usually only take time for a couple of breaks while I'm in the park but I LOVE starting and ending my day sitting quietly at the resort contemplating the day or remembering the fun. Like most smokers, I strictly "follow the rules" and resent the complaints of non-smokers who still manage to complain about DSA's. Once again, thanks for the info. :tink:

Was watching Passport to the Parks yesterday as he was broadcasting from CB about the gondolas and there was a guy behind him just walking around and smoking. He was totally ignoring the rules about smoking in the dedicated areas and actually walked into one of the accommodation blocks whilst still smoking! It is people like him who you have to blame for Disney tightening up on the rules and totally banning all smoking in the parks.

So i dont smoke ciggs, but i do enjoy a nightly cigar. Last year we went to the poly, and it wasnt too bad to grab a drink, and then walk over to a DSA bench. The only real complaint was that it limits your cigar choice to a 1 drink length. It is honestly not a big deal as i only head over after family is bedding down for the night anyway.

The real question i had was around my next stay. I am heading to GF next June for a 2 week stay. I was excited reading that there was a balcony nearby to Mizner's to grab a drink, and go sit down for a cigar. I was curious if anyone else has done this in the evening, and if there are any unforseen hassles around it?

The second part of this question is that I heard Mizner's is getting a remodel, and if the answer to the above is "yes it is a great place to enjoy a great stick to wind down the day", will it still be that after the remodel?

i know it is a long shot, but there is very little info around this out on public boards.

anyone know where the DSAs are at the new riviera resort and at Wilderness lodge? thanks
An honest question....

Always check MDE - "Resort Hotel", "Guest Services", "Designated Smoking Areas", "Find on Map".
Zero in on where you are. MDE is the OFFICIAL reference for all things WDW.

WL has TWO DSA's - one just around the Water Tower at GP, one at BRV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!