small island near MK with birds/animals

renda460

Mouseketeer
Can anyone give me any info about a small island near magic kingdom that contains birds and other various animals? I think it may have been called Discovery Island.

I went to there about 5 years ago, but I am not sure what it is called or if it is still around. I remember it had several beach areas with hammocks that was a nice break from the parks. There was also a huge bird sanctuary and a lot of other animals like alligators, snakes, etc.

I am asking because I dont remember them ever checking our park passes to enter, and we are looking for something to do the day we arrive without using a day of our passes.

Any info would be great!

Discovery Island is no longer open to the public.

The island used to called Discovery Island and it no longer open to the public, but I wonder about those who rent boats? are they allowed to go there? Also if you are looking for something to do the day you arrive, you should just enjoy the grounds of the WL it has a great pool, the nature trail winds down to the campground where there is a small petting zoo, and along the trail sometimes you get to see some deer, especially in the morning and the late afternoons. The WL has alot to offer, early in the morning and sometimes during the day you will see the ducks and their babies also enjoying the pool! You can also rent bikes there and go for a bike ride on the trail.
:cat: :cat: :cat: :fish:
keiki,binky&mouse my 3 beautiful white kitties!

Yes, it was discoverey Island and it is no longer open.:( It used to be one of our favorite things to do ,it was very relaxing and a nice break from the parks. It actually closed when Animal Kingdom opened and they moved all the animals there.

We just got back from WDW and did a wishes cruise. The CM said that there has been talk recently of re-opening Discovery Island--and he said that the impression he got was that it would happen, as a lot of guests have continually asked about the island.
The AK was thought to be far superior to DI, and it was thought that no one would have an interest in DI once AK opened. Management found out they were wrong.
Anyway, that is what we were told.
I would like to see it reopen.

to hear any talk of re-opening DI because when we were staying at FW last summer, two separate MK boat operators told my DH that the place was quite overrun with gators. This is part of the reason for the many, large signs forbidding boat renters to disembark there for a stroll.

On boat ride from MK to FW,that he heard talk of rehabing it.Then reopening as Honeymoon Island.Would be special resort for honeymooners and also do weddings.Let me stress this is not offical just talk right now,sounds cool use of island though.:wave2:

Just rode a mouseboat out to the old Discovery Island this past week from WL marina and there is NO way I would have gotten out for a stroll!! I have toured it in the past when it was open, but now it is very overgrown and is overrun with TONS of white birds - I mean tons of them. There were several other birds out there, but the white ones were abundant. Didn't notice any gators, but it looked like a place they night want to hang out.

I miss DL too. We made a point of going there every trip!

renda460 -- You could also ride the boat from WL over to the MK and then do a monorail ride, stopping to visit the resorts if you wish. If you're not tired of it at that point, ride the Epcot monorail, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter