SLOW ECV's at WDW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it so important that you be going so fast? And why is it that people seem to only be blaming the walkers for being distracted? On their phones ?
When you actually take a moment to observe videos of crowds at places like Disneyworld you see a lot of amblin' along people. The walkers are often moving slowly as they talk to each other, or keep up with the speed of small children with little legs.
Watching the behavior of people on scooters is interesting. They travel in a much different way than walkers do. They tend to have more of a focused way of getting through the park.
The difference in behavior is what causes the problems. People walking can all tell stories about the person on a scooter who blows past their group, or honks their horn to get you out the way.
There is just generally very little respect for each other happening.
I like to be able to travel the speed others in my group are walking which does not happen with Disney rentals. my group is stopping in walk way to wait for me to catch up or blocking walkers from pushing thru our group. the only person I have "hit" with an ECV at Disney walked into my stopped ECV while texting on her phone. she then began yelling at me for hitting her. her husband took her arm leading her away telling her I was not moving she ran into me not the other way around. even going as slow as Disney's you can still run into walkers as they push around you and stop right in front of ECV which can not be stopped on a dime as I have had many close call because of this. have had walker push a grandchild from in front of me so they could get past me cause I was going to slow for them. so yes it goes both ways

I like to be able to travel the speed others in my group are walking which does not happen with Disney rentals. my group is stopping in walk way to wait for me to catch up or blocking walkers from pushing thru our group. the only person I have "hit" with an ECV at Disney walked into my stopped ECV while texting on her phone. she then began yelling at me for hitting her. her husband took her arm leading her away telling her I was not moving she ran into me not the other way around. even going as slow as Disney's you can still run into walkers as they push around you and stop right in front of ECV which can not be stopped on a dime as I have had many close call because of this. have had walker push a grandchild from in front of me so they could get past me cause I was going to slow for them. so yes it goes both ways

The problem is everyone wants to blame the other side. Your view of how you travel sounds like you are the one being inconvenienced. The people trying to get around you might be more annoyed more by how much space the ecv takes up in the walkway. An ecv is takes up a lot more walking space than a single person walking. Add in your traveling group, and slow/fast you are a large obstacle to the walking groups.

The problem is everyone wants to blame the other side. Your view of how you travel sounds like you are the one being inconvenienced. The people trying to get around you might be more annoyed more by how much space the ecv takes up in the walkway. An ecv is takes up a lot more walking space than a single person walking. Add in your traveling group, and slow/fast you are a large obstacle to the walking groups.
as I have shared on this site I have had walking mother when I was using a cane precovid pull her daughter so close to me that I could not put my cane down and tell do not put that down on her. I looked at her and asked would you prefer me to fall on her as that would be the way I would be falling. it was her choice guess who moved her daughter fast. Ps it was only my husband and myself not a big group but is part of reason I like being around my big group

I agree that the ECVs should be set to go at walking speed. I see the issues at WDW though - so many ECVs in a theme park that was first planned out before ECVs existed. It's kind of like driving a car through a parking lot; the ECV drivers are responsible for watching out for the pedestrians just like any other motorized vehicle.

Can we test this with you as the guinea pig? BTW, I did not suggest limiting the ECV speed to slower than a walk either, just have it set/locked so it doesn't have the ability to go 45 MPH by accident.

My daughter witnessed a woman get flattened by an ECV while waiting for the parade. Operator of ECV throttled full into her. Imagine if it was going 45 MPH?

I get that making ECVs go faster is your thing in life. Do you make them so they have to be licensed vehicles because of the speeds they reach?
My husband was knocked to the ground while waiting in line by an inexperienced ecv driver who had it up high. My husband is 6’7” and was about 220 at the time (so not a small person). It ended up aggregating a back injury which sent us back to the hotel that day and he ended up having to use his cane the rest of the trip (he brought it just in case because he was nervous about some rides). We were thankful it was him who was hit not out 15 month old daughter standing next to him.
So while yes people should be able to use an ecv when they need one they also have a responsibility to those around them to know how to operate them safely and take responsibility for their actions.
The guy who hit my husband said oops sorry and then kept driving while we tried to figure out how to get my husband out of line (and deal with a scared toddler). I can only imagine the damage he would have done had he been driving at a much higher speed

I agree that the ECVs should be set to go at walking speed. I see the issues at WDW though - so many ECVs in a theme park that was first planned out before ECVs existed. It's kind of like driving a car through a parking lot; the ECV drivers are responsible for watching out for the pedestrians just like any other motorized vehicle.
Just like with any other motorized vehicle, pedestrians also have thier responsibilities. If you see an ECV coming, you do not step out in front if it and assume it will stop, just as you do not enter a crosswalk or cross through a parking lot if a vehicle is coming down the road. Most people assume pedestrians always have the right of way no matter what, but that isn't true. Pedestrians only have the right of way if they have a light, signal or are already in the road when a vehicle approaches, otherwise they are supposed to wait until it is safe.

yes drivers should look out for pedestrians but they should also not step right in front of one and expect it to stop as it could be too close. also they should not be walking and looking at phones and not looking where they are walking. had someone who was looking at her phone, her husband and kids all stepped around me, I was stopped waiting for them to clear me, she was looking at her phone and walked right into my stopped ECV. she starts yelling at me for hitting her. husband grabs her arm and leads her away saying I was stopped and she walked into me. the other one I had a problem with was behind me in line at a switch back and crowded me so close that her foot was under near back wheels of my ECV making the turn and I ran over her foot. should have her complain to CM that I ran over her foot. CM looked at her and asked how did she run over your foot when she was behind me. her answer was you said tom fill in all spaces so she got as close as possible because it took up so much room. CM was like sorry but it was your fault and if I move anyone I would be the one to the Fast Pass line. she had nothing more to say

Last edited:

I remember one time, being totally stopped on my ECV, and a child looking the other way walked right into me. The mother came over to get her child, who was hurt from banging into me, and mom gave me a dirty look. I understood, but what bothered me was I'll bet she went home and told people about how this lady on an ECV rode right into her child.

I'm going to close this thread. There is little helpful value in repeating negative stories. Incidents occur between ECVs and walkers on a daily basis -- sometimes one or the other is not paying close attention. I think we've all be there once or twice before, I know I have inadvertently walked into another person walking at WDW or at the local mall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!