SLO to Grants Grove in Kings Canyon to Hollywood?

nerakmai

Earning My Ears
We are thinking about changing up one of our travel days and wonder if it makes sense to leave San Louis Obispo in the morning, drive to Grants Grove in Kings Canyon National Park and see some sequoias, namely the General Grant Tree, and then travel south to a hotel in Hollywood to arrive in the evening?

It looks to be about 4 hours travel time from SLO to Grants Grove and then another 4 hours travel from there to Hollywood? What is minimum amount of time needed at Kings Canyon to see some sequoias and walk the General Grant Loop Trail?

Hi neramai,

It usually takes me about 4-5 hours to go from Giant Forest (Sequoia) to the Los Angeles area, and 45 minutes to an hour to get from Grants Grove (Kings Canyon) to Giant Forest. I've done the drive from Yosemite through Sequoia (3-hour detour) to Los Angeles. It makes for a long day, but worth it in my opinion, since I don't mind the drive, and I love the mountains.

I recommend leaving early - between 5am-6am, and that should get you to Grants Grove by 10am/11am. You can walk among the trees there, as they have a nice little trail, and you'll see the Fallen Monarch, big enough to have a cavalry of horses stand on it. From there, if you're interested, you might visit Sandy Cove on Hume Lake, where you can swim in the little lake there. There is a Christian camp that rents kayaks/rowboats to the public, as well as have a place to have lunch there. You can spend a couple of hours there (stop at a sandwich shop from San Luis Obispo to Kings Canyon). After visiting Hume Lake (or skip it), drive to Giant Forest. You'll pass a small grove of sequoias called The Lost Grove. In Giant Forest, there are a few places to visit: General Sherman - one of the largest living things on Earth, Crescent Meadow, with a really nice little walk/hike (easy to moderate) around some meadows - you'll see Tharpe's Log there, and Moro Rock, where you can walk up some stone steps to the top, if you wish.

You'll get a full day of the sequoias by visiting these popular spots. Note that in Giant Forest you'll probably have to park at the Giant Forest museum, then take the shuttle to the General Sherman, Crescent Meadow, and Moro Rock. I've also done the little hike from General Sherman to Crescent Meadow, and really enjoyed it.

I recommend any or all of the above, which can be done in a long day. I would also call your lodgings in Hollywood and ask for a late arrival. If you are not traveling in an RV, but a normal car, you can take the 198 through Visalia, that will take you to the 99, and where you'll go south. Visalia is 3 hours from Los Angeles, and Bakersfield is 2 hours from LA. We usually get a bite to eat in Bakersfield on our way home.

Enjoy your trip!

PS ~ If you don't want to spend THAT much time, and just want a taste of the sequoias, you can do that by visiting Grant's Grove, then taking the 180 back down the mountain, and catch the 99 south towards Los Angeles. Plan on a 5-hour drive for contingencies.

Ouch! That is a looooonnnggg day! Those sequoias are beyond amazing though. We still smile whenever we see our photos.

We had almost the same itinerary but spent 3 nights in the Kings Canyon area. It was a highlight for us. We stayed at San Luis Obispo too (LOVED Pismo Beach!) Then drove to Kings Canyon staying at a cheap hotel (Comfort Inn?)outside the park. Next morning we drove in, did the famous hike and then extended it to a much longer one. Even my non-hikers loved it as we marveled at each giant tree. That night we went for the all u can eat BBQ in the park and it was so much fun. Wrapped it up staying in a tent cabin in Kings Canyon.

Next day we were off to Hume Lake to stay a night at the Christian camp. Rooms are cheap, food is cheap (their meal plan is a good deal) and they had so many fun kids activities that cost way less than here at home. My son went paintballing and we rented stand up paddleboards. My DD and I went on a 5 hr hike in the largest sequoia grove nearby and it was awesome.

I remember that it was a long and dusty drive to Hollywood. Not particularly scenic. We broke it up again staying at a cheap hotel along the way. Did the hike to view the Hollywood sign the next day and gawked at some mansions before making it to Anaheim :)

Thanks for bringing back memories of our trip! California was awesome and Sequioa/Kings Canyon was a huge highlight.

The best grove is the Redwood Mountain Grove. It's the largest sequoia grove anywhere. The trails are completely unpaved and none of the trees are identified. They might not be as big (although the tallest known sequoia is there) as in other groves, but it's a more primitive experience than Grant Grove or Giant Forest. It's technically in the small part of Kings Canyon NP, but that's kind of an artificial distinction. It used to be part of Sequoia National Forest until it was added to the NPS boundaries.

It wouldn't be suitable for someone on time pressure or who isn't willing to hike. But visitors are allowed to walk off trail and even touch the trees. When there's pavement there's a requirement to stay on the trail and behind fences.

Hi neramai,

It usually takes me about 4-5 hours to go from Giant Forest (Sequoia) to the Los Angeles area, and 45 minutes to an hour to get from Grants Grove (Kings Canyon) to Giant Forest. I've done the drive from Yosemite through Sequoia (3-hour detour) to Los Angeles. It makes for a long day, but worth it in my opinion, since I don't mind the drive, and I love the mountains.

I recommend leaving early - between 5am-6am, and that should get you to Grants Grove by 10am/11am. You can walk among the trees there, as they have a nice little trail, and you'll see the Fallen Monarch, big enough to have a cavalry of horses stand on it. From there, if you're interested, you might visit Sandy Cove on Hume Lake, where you can swim in the little lake there. There is a Christian camp that rents kayaks/rowboats to the public, as well as have a place to have lunch there. You can spend a couple of hours there (stop at a sandwich shop from San Luis Obispo to Kings Canyon). After visiting Hume Lake (or skip it), drive to Giant Forest. You'll pass a small grove of sequoias called The Lost Grove. In Giant Forest, there are a few places to visit: General Sherman - one of the largest living things on Earth, Crescent Meadow, with a really nice little walk/hike (easy to moderate) around some meadows - you'll see Tharpe's Log there, and Moro Rock, where you can walk up some stone steps to the top, if you wish.

You'll get a full day of the sequoias by visiting these popular spots. Note that in Giant Forest you'll probably have to park at the Giant Forest museum, then take the shuttle to the General Sherman, Crescent Meadow, and Moro Rock. I've also done the little hike from General Sherman to Crescent Meadow, and really enjoyed it.

I recommend any or all of the above, which can be done in a long day. I would also call your lodgings in Hollywood and ask for a late arrival. If you are not traveling in an RV, but a normal car, you can take the 198 through Visalia, that will take you to the 99, and where you'll go south. Visalia is 3 hours from Los Angeles, and Bakersfield is 2 hours from LA. We usually get a bite to eat in Bakersfield on our way home.

Enjoy your trip!

PS ~ If you don't want to spend THAT much time, and just want a taste of the sequoias, you can do that by visiting Grant's Grove, then taking the 180 back down the mountain, and catch the 99 south towards Los Angeles. Plan on a 5-hour drive for contingencies.

This information is great! When you mention the little hike from General Sherman to Crescent Meadow, are you speaking of the Congress Trail.

Also, does it make sense to just focus on Sequoia since we will pressed for time, or is Grant’s Grove not to be missed?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter