Slinky dog @ rope drop

Tinkermom84

Mouseketeer
how long can I expect to wait for SDD if we are at rope drop. My husband has bad knees and we have a 5 year old so the only one able to sprint is me lol. It was impossible to get a do so this is our only option and I want to be prepared

how long can I expect to wait for SDD if we are at rope drop. My husband has bad knees and we have a 5 year old so the only one able to sprint is me lol. It was impossible to get a do so this is our only option and I want to be prepared

It really depends on what you mean by rope drop. Do you plan to "be there by rope drop" which will put you at the back of the original pack, or will you get to the park an hour early and be at the front of the pack? At the MK on 7DMT, the difference is about a half hour in wait time. At AK and FOP, significantly more than that. Who knows how SDD will be when everything levels out, but this morning at 7:10, a 45 minute wait was posted and touring plans was estimating it to be more in the neighborhood of 30, which puts it around 7DMT wait times right now.

Wow, that is awesome! I remember "back in the day" when TSM first opened and there was no FP plus. We saw four hour waits posted. We are going next month and can't wait to ride SDD.

Great post question, we are going the last week of August and couldn't snag a fastpass so am hoping to do rope drop - but am worried about a long wait as DS is heat sensitive

Just checked Lines app now - the park opened at 8:Am, it's 8:23 now and the wait is 95 minutes....yikes.

I have a Toy Story Mania FP+ reservation for 9:55am-10:55am. I was hoping to do slinky at rope drop and then this on right after. My thought was with my father with bad knees, 2 18-month olds and my antsy 4 year old we wouldn't be able to wait more than two hours to ride SDD anyway. Thoughts about this? Should I try to push it back a little further? We will be there on Saturday, September 15.

I would plan to be on it first thing. The waits will only get longer as the day goes on.

Or, plan B: realize that you simply can't do every ride. That was a huge realization for us on our first trip; it simply isn't possible to see and do it all. Best advice ever: don't give any one ride/attraction/show/whatever the power to "Make" your vacation. If you see that it's a 90 minute wait for SDD or some other ride you want, balance those 90 minutes on line vs what else you could be doing. Maybe it's worth it to you, maybe it's not. But if you don't see it this trip, you prioritize it next trip, that's all.

So much better to remember all the great stuff you did than the hot sweaty cranky 90 minutes you spent on line for a 3 minute ride.

I would plan to be on it first thing. The waits will only get longer as the day goes on.

Or, plan B: realize that you simply can't do every ride. That was a huge realization for us on our first trip; it simply isn't possible to see and do it all. Best advice ever: don't give any one ride/attraction/show/whatever the power to "Make" your vacation. If you see that it's a 90 minute wait for SDD or some other ride you want, balance those 90 minutes on line vs what else you could be doing. Maybe it's worth it to you, maybe it's not. But if you don't see it this trip, you prioritize it next trip, that's all.

So much better to remember all the great stuff you did than the hot sweaty cranky 90 minutes you spent on line for a 3 minute ride.
I love this idea. Especially with my kids being so young and us coming back again next year. It is better that they go on a lot of rides with shorter waits than to do "the" ride in which they have no clue that it is "the" ride.

My hope is that ~2 hour window will be enough to get on and off it. That even affords us a one hour wait if need be. Right now, 50 minutes after opening TP is showing a 53 minute wait which we would be able to do and that is after the park has been open for 45 minutes and in the "in season" right after the land opened. So my hope is this will work. I just have a very short window with such young kids before we need to take them back to the hotel for naps and pool so I would rather do a lot than do a specific ride. That being said, my 4-year-old LOVES slinky and would hate for him to miss this. Trying to make it all happen for everyone is sometimes challenging.

Let me throw another thought out there...Earlier in the week we have a 4:55 Hollywood and Vine reservation so from ~6 to ~8pm we have time for rides before the Fantasmic show starts. Maybe the Toy Story rides will have lower lines during that time of day? It will be Wednesday, September 13.

That's the thing. So many of us, as adults, try to make sure our kids see and do all the stuff we know they would love. When the odds are decent that one of the things they'll rave to their friends about is night swimming or the funny lady on the bus or something else.

As an aside, realize that in the MK, you can usually catch Woody and Jessie by the exit for Splash Mountain.

That's the thing. So many of us, as adults, try to make sure our kids see and do all the stuff we know they would love. When the odds are decent that one of the things they'll rave to their friends about is night swimming or the funny lady on the bus or something else.

As an aside, realize that in the MK, you can usually catch Woody and Jessie by the exit for Splash Mountain.
Thank you. I love positive, uplifting input. Very helpful, mostly to my nerves and stress over getting these times.

You're so welcome. This site is a double edged sword. There's so much wonderful info here, but it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking you have to see and do and experience it ALL. It's not possible.

Ignorance is bliss; they can have the time of their lives without all those experiences we try so hard to provide.

My advice to give yourself the best shot at a shorter wait line. Be ready to line up early at the park entrance turnstiles. Yes the park may open at 8am, but if there is EMH happening there are already some people in there. I was in line by 7:15 so I was in front of that crowd at least (that's a huge bonus when they open & people start having trouble reading their MBs & delays start). Once in the park keep walking! Don't stop for pictures or to window shop or explore. Do that AFTER the ride. It took me a solid 4-5 minutes of brisk walking from the gate to the SDD standby line. Doing that I had about a 13 minute wait. I then hopped right over to the Alien ride with minimal wait. After I rode I looked around, took pictures, took in the area.

And I will add they had CMs posted along the way telling people not to run & to control the flow of traffic. I don't know if that's every day, but it was that morning at least. You can't walk right up along the Great Movie Ride building anymore & use those ramps/stairs to get back there. They make you turn right in front of the street stage area & go thru the entrance towards the Star Wars Launch Bay area before you can make another left & continue to TSL.

Last edited:
As mentioned Rope Drop means many thing. Know what time the park is supposed to open and watch that closely as it does change. I would plan to be at the park 45-60 minutes before that time. It sounds like they are opening the park early or at least letting you get in line for the ride early (like they have done for Pandora).
Good luck.

Thoughts about this?
There is a 38” height requirement for Slinky Dog Dash. If your younger ones aren’t tall enough, they can go meet characters with GPa while you and DS are in line.

As an aside, realize that in the MK, you can usually catch Woody and Jessie by the exit for Splash Mount
Woody and Jessie only meet in TSL. They stopped meeting in MK over a year ago.

Wond
There is a 38” height requirement for Slinky Dog Dash. If your younger ones aren’t tall enough, they can go meet characters with GPa while you and DS are in line.

Woody and Jessie only meet in TSL. They stopped meeting in MK over a year ago.
Wonderful idea. Thank you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter