sleeve gastrectomy 5 weeks before trip

I’m having this surgery next month and am not going to Disney until October. I would be very worried not to be close to my doctor at 5 weeks out!

I'm sorry you're in this situation. I'm confused why you are financially responsible for their portion of the trip. I understand that you may need to use your points, but they should be paying you back right? I just think it's a bit selfish of them to pu their needs above yours. I really hope your friend recovers well though. Best of luck!

I'm financially responsible because they are my guests. Yes, we planned this together and they've been very much a part of that, but of the reasons I bought DVC was to bring friends and family with me on occasion. And yes, I feel terrible for thinking about the DVC point "finances" under the circumstances. And on other occasions guests have paid (I suppose I run a 'pay what you can' operation!!) But points are weird and this is one of those circumstances in which being a DVC owner is stickier--cancellation. The amount a I pay to DVC for my points annually is nowhere near the market value of renting points from someone.

In this case, they were 'paying' me in their company, some babysitting, some groceries, and probably a drink or two.

Quick update: as of Tuesday AM she is still in the hospital, but has been able to keep her medication down. She's on a variety of medications stemming from her brain tumor aftermath that is also complicating things. She went 5 days with out that medication but today it stayed in.

I did ask how they were feeling about the trip and was told in no uncertain terms it was on. Honestly, I'm still worried, but I guess they are determined!

I'm financially responsible because they are my guests. Yes, we planned this together and they've been very much a part of that, but of the reasons I bought DVC was to bring friends and family with me on occasion. And yes, I feel terrible for thinking about the DVC point "finances" under the circumstances. And on other occasions guests have paid (I suppose I run a 'pay what you can' operation!!) But points are weird and this is one of those circumstances in which being a DVC owner is stickier--cancellation. The amount a I pay to DVC for my points annually is nowhere near the market value of renting points from someone.

In this case, they were 'paying' me in their company, some babysitting, some groceries, and probably a drink or two.
Oh ok. Yeah I really have no idea how DVC points work, so I didn't really understand the financial aspect. I guess based on what you just explained, I would just go with what you have currently booked and just hope she's recovered enough to go.

Man, sounds like your friend has been through a lot. Maybe to them that is why they are going on the trip no matter what. There is no rule that says you have be 100% healthy to go to Disney! Good luck to your friend recovering well. I hope you all have a wonderful trip!

Oh ok. Yeah I really have no idea how DVC points work, so I didn't really understand the financial aspect. I guess based on what you just explained, I would just go with what you have currently booked and just hope she's recovered enough to go.

Man, sounds like your friend has been through a lot. Maybe to them that is why they are going on the trip no matter what. There is no rule that says you have be 100% healthy to go to Disney! Good luck to your friend recovering well. I hope you all have a wonderful trip!
Thanks! DVC is definitely a different beast than other reservations.

For people who don't understand DVC, they have this illusion that you can cancel up to the time of your reservation with no consequences. Not so. If you cancel within 30 days of your arrival date, points go into "holding status" which has all kinds of restrictions for use. I've had points in holding... death in the family... and it is not something you want to deal with. Booking anything at all within 60 days is really difficult since availability is in many cases nonexistent... and depending on your use year, there is the pressure to use them before they expire!

When I had this surgery several years ago, I was blessed not to have complications in my recovery. But everyone is different. I'm hoping your friend has turned a corner and things will be smoother moving forward. As long as she can get there, your villa should allow her a place to relax and rest with a full kitchen to prepare what she needs for her recovery,

Fingers crossed for you!

Lots of people have trouble keeping down even liquids after weight loss surgery. I suspect she will be fine at 5 weeks out, but still on mostly protein shakes. That will be up to her to bring what she needs.

I did Disney just two weeks after gastric bypass and it went fine. Even to this day, I don't eat at Disney, my family does eat out at times, but I have no problem entertaining myself during that time. :-)

I’m with @Tallis here. It’s not uncommon to have some issues with fluids when first starting out. Which is why the doctors probably weren’t overly concerned beyond making her stay a bit longer then the norm. I had a minor hiccup after mine and by 5 weeks out I was wandering around DL no problem. I would not cancel your plans based on what is happening now. Only consider it if there is a serious issue. Liquids can be brought under control with time and practice and as the swelling goes down.

An update!!!

She's doing very well, with 13 days until our trip. There have been several neighborhood walks and her return to work in tomorrow. She even at 4 ounces of salmon over the course of yesterday. Her doctor says she'll be find for rides (!!) and if she feels discomfort to wear her binder or spanx. To be honest, the most shocking part of that conversation was that she owns spanx. It seems out of character...

Anyway, we talked through our grocery order today, and she requested unsweetened soy milk, tuna in water, EVOO, chicken breast, unsweetened apple sauce, and non-fat plain greek yogurt.

I fully expect a slow pace, but I'm so happy that she's going to be able to enjoy this trip!!!

I'll update on our return.

An update!!!

She's doing very well, with 13 days until our trip. There have been several neighborhood walks and her return to work in tomorrow. She even at 4 ounces of salmon over the course of yesterday. Her doctor says she'll be find for rides (!!) and if she feels discomfort to wear her binder or spanx. To be honest, the most shocking part of that conversation was that she owns spanx. It seems out of character...

Anyway, we talked through our grocery order today, and she requested unsweetened soy milk, tuna in water, EVOO, chicken breast, unsweetened apple sauce, and non-fat plain greek yogurt.

I fully expect a slow pace, but I'm so happy that she's going to be able to enjoy this trip!!!

I'll update on our return.
I was just thinking about you and your trip; I'm so glad things are looking up! It sounds like it will be a great time :woohoo:

We're home and I'm happy to report our trip was success!! She loved every minute!!

The particulars: she's already lost about 40 pounds, and said that she did more activity during our week than she had at any point since the surgery, and probably any week ever! We moved slowly but in general President's week is so crowded that you don't have much choice in that. She carried a protein shake but also had no trouble ordering in most places---it was not too hard to find restaurants/counter service with grilled chicken or fish. We had three very long days with early starts, two of those at her request (Galaxy's Edge and Universal for Harry Potter) and she plowed through, even with a 12 hour day at Universal!! On Friday she did rest all day though.

Thanks for the help and advice, all. She really did have a magical trip, and I knew my work was done when she cried at the end of Happily Ever After fireworks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!