Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Yes, it's believed that it will be complete by the time SWL opens. I would guess Disney would try to get the cabling installed and other mechanics installed during the winter when the gondola companies are less busy.

I was thinking they could probably get a sweet deal if they did something like this...

I think you missed what he did there.

On topic, I think these will be neat but I don't think my wife will. I need to read back through the last dozen or so pages of the thread, but plans are still no-AC, right? I would like a transportation option that isn't standing in a deep freeze.
Correct current rumors say no AC.

The whole thing does seem to have gotten kind of stale information wise. Hoping some sort of formal announcement is released, so we have some new material to play with.

Hello
Not sure if this has been asked or posted anywhere but I have a few questions about the Gondola Transportation

Are gondolas the same as ski lifts?
Will they be closed in? Safe for a 1 year old?
Will it cause room rates to increase at CBR, POP and AoA?
Tell me everything you know about them!

Our next visit is November 2018

Well, we don't know too much at this point, especially as far as rates and such (though my bet is they will go up a bit more than normal). The gondola cars will be large and enclosed. I think they are supposed to carry about 20 to 30 people. They should be totally safe for any age to ride in.

I can't wait to learn more about them myself.

Hello
Not sure if this has been asked or posted anywhere but I have a few questions about the Gondola Transportation

Pop over to the News and Rumors forum. There is a entire thread dedicated to this very subject!

A number of gondola systems are "quickly" installed during short building seasons in ski areas... but there is a lot of planning and prep work before "construction" begins.

This video gives a detailed look at the current gondola cabin offered by the company with which Disney is rumored to be in negotiations.

Here's an 8-seater in operation. Note the flush, no-step boarding, the loading of wheelchairs & strollers, and the roof-mounted solar panel on each cabin.

The systems above are suspended from a single cable. Larger cabins use a 3-cable system, which appear to be more complex and undoubtedly more expensive:

Last edited:
If these are built, what is the situation during thunder and lightning? Will the shut down for lightning? Seems like that could really be an issue if they do close for lightning.

If these are built, what is the situation during thunder and lightning? Will the shut down for lightning? Seems like that could really be an issue if they do close for lightning.
Ive had to take busses instead of Friendship boats from DHS and, I think monorails also shut down for lightning, so gondolas wouldn't be different than those.

Though further back in the thread it was reported that many of the gondolas can still run in bad weather. However, Disney may choose not to do so because of guests' fears/perceptions of unsafe conditions.
Whichever way they handle bad weather, the main thing is that this is not some new, cutting-edge technology that will need a learning curve. These are in use all over the world, so someone, somewhere will know what they can do in bad weather - for sure. We're just the ones left in the dark, for now...

Whichever way they handle bad weather, the main thing is that this is not some new, cutting-edge technology that will need a learning curve. These are in use all over the world, so someone, somewhere will know what they can do in bad weather - for sure. We're just the ones left in the dark, for now...
There are plenty of examples of gondolas running in bad weather. We aren't in the dark on whether they can or not, we are in the dark on how Disney will choose to handle it, from which system they purchase to whether they will decide to keep it running in common Florida summer storms.

Hello

Not exactly - gondolas are enclosed, while "ski lifts" are open air.
Of course it will
More than likely yes, but since rates go up every year anyways it may not be noticeable. I don't think it would be a lot.
Sorry - but I say 'read the thread' at this point.
Unlikely to be in place by then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!