Skype Interview Tips?

Dress like you would for the interview if you were there in person (not just from the waist up). My husband did a lot of remote interviews before he was done in the military and some asked him to stand up!

Make sure you have good, bright lighting. And not only from overhead where it can cast weird shadows on camera. You don't want to look like you have a double chin when you don't have one, or hollows under your eyes.

I would have suggested all of these and about half an hour before to give Skype a trial run, even if you use it all the time, just to make sure everything is working properly. Last minute dash because your mike isn't working properly would be super stressful.

Good luck!

Good to test ahead of time to make sure it is working correctly and you know how to use the controls. Sometimes getting it setup to work with your PC/wifi/etc. and setting the various configurations takes a few tries. You don't want to be figuring it out during the interview. Use a good quality microphone and camera. Nothing is more annoying then not being able to clearly hear someone when they are speaking.

Make sure you are in a quiet area of your house to eliminate all distractions, turn off the TV/radio, have the children/pets somewhere else. Turn off your cellphone or leave it somewhere else so it doesn't ring in the middle of the interview. Close out of all other PC applications so you aren't getting annoying sounds from new emails, etc. during the interview. Try to point the camera so there is a plain background behind you and not a lot of clutter that looks distracting on cam.

Last edited:
I just interviewed someone this week via Skype. My advice would be similar to other peoples:

Make sure the background is neat.
Do it somewhere quiet so there is no background noise.
Make sure you have a good connection. Call a friend first to make sure you don't have terrible latency.
Dress as you would for an in-person interview.
And a big one, don't look at the screen when you are talking, look at the camera. When you look at the screen as opposed to camera it looks to the other party like you are looking down. Eye contact is with the camera, not the face of the person you are talking to over Skype.

Dress like you would for the interview if you were there in person (not just from the waist up). My husband did a lot of remote interviews before he was done in the military and some asked him to stand up!
Haha! My DS21 just finished going through the campus job recruitment process at his university. He ended up with 3 offers and landed his dream job with a terrific starting salary. He did the first video interview for this job in his kitchen wearing boxers shorts on the bottom and his suit on the top! Thank God they didn't ask him to stand up!

If you are going to use notes for questions you want to ask, prop them up in a place where you can see them without looking too far off camera. Make sure pets if you have them our out of the room and that nearby rooms our closed off too. I had a team meeting once where my cat got into the bathroom that has a door into the office and howled her lungs out. Would have preferred that not happen.

As mentioned - do test calls for lighting, sound and what can they see around and behind you.

Otherwise I think the interview prep is essentially the same!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter