Skype From outside the US

figmentfan2009

Mouseketeer
Okay... time is winding down (just over 23 days) and I have questions...

If I get skype... and pay a monthly fee for a subscription... can I call any US phone from China for that monthly fee? I'm actually ashamed of myself... I am a geek and I "get" VOIP... but I've never used Skype... I think I should be able to call my mom from China via skype and that should be covered by the monthly fee... but has anyone reading this done skype from overseas? Has anyone done skype to a cell phone or landline from overseas?

This is well worth the price of a subscription if I can do this...

Details would be most welcome

Thanks!
ff2009:woohoo:

We are currently in China and have been using Skype very successfully. We got a three month subscription and can call land lines, cell phones and of course computers. It has been a very useful too. I highly recommend it.

My older son was shooting a film in Japan recently and called almost every day via Skype. It was like he was in the next room. All three boys used it often from Italy. The monthly fee was very inexpensive but the nightly Internet fee in Sorrento was quite high! I've been avoiding opening up my charge card statement...

Dotti

My mom will be so thrilled that I can call 'home' from there. I will know to get another 'subscription' next year when we go again.

thanks everyone... now I can play with my headsets and see which set works best.

We just got back from China and used Skype every day except when we were in Shanghai. The Hilton is the only hotel that charges for internet. I did go next door to the ecafe in Shanghai and use my iPhone Skype app to call my DD who stayed at college, who also has an iPhone, at no cost. I chose not to do a subscription because my mom was the only landline I was calling. I had to put $10 in my Skype account and it cost me 2 cents a minute to talk to her. I talked almost every day and still had money left when we got home. I don't think you need to do the subscription unless you plan on talking a lot to people on landlines. Computer to computer is free as long as they have downloaded Skype to their computer.

Have a great trip!

ETA: I called my husband's cell phone from our computer when he was away from home. So yes, I did use Skype for computer, cell phone and landline calls. It was fantastic! I even video chatted with my daughter while I was in China. It was great to be able to see her while I was gone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter