Skyliner Resort Price Increase Anticipated?

The13thLetter

DIS Veteran
Just wondering if you guys thought that maybe CBR, Pop, and AoA room prices were going to eventually increase as a result of having access to the skyliner? If so do you think they’d increase right away (not sure if room rates have ever increased midyear) or wait until the 2020 room rates come out? Hopefully if there was an increase it wouldn’t price people out of those value/moderate resorts.

I don’t think the goal is to upgrade the resorts and place them in another category of rates. AoA is already mostly priced at the moderate level anyway. They would need to upgrade the services and amenities in those resorts to bump them up.

The point is to be able to move massive amounts of people to HS for SW:GE without putting the equivalent number of busses on the road and seeing them causing backups in the HS parking. Disney is also looking in stopping the growth of or reducing CO2 emissions from their WDW operations and it will certainly help in that regard.

Well, I think they will have a big increase during the next round of increases. But whether that will hit 2019 or 2020 bookings, I don’t know. They can raise rates anytime but I do not recall multiple across the board increases during the same year.

They could do small ones at just those resorts for 2019 and people probably wouldn’t even notice right away.

I was concerned enough that I already have my December 2019 trip booked at Pop. I was worried about a double whammy from The gondolas and SWGE. . .

I wouldn't be shocked--the Pop already is (imo, but seems like general opinion reflects this too!) much nicer than the other similarly priced resorts, so I think it was probably headed for an increase anyway.

Well, I think they will have a big increase during the next round of increases. But whether that will hit 2019 or 2020 bookings, I don’t know. They can raise rates anytime but I do not recall multiple across the board increases during the same year.

They could do small ones at just those resorts for 2019 and people probably wouldn’t even notice right away.

I was concerned enough that I already have my December 2019 trip booked at Pop. I was worried about a double whammy from The gondolas and SWGE. . .

I had booked rooms at CBR for our August 2019 trip with the same intention of beating the increase but if I change my package type when the discounts for the summer come out I am assuming that I wouldn’t get the % off the price I booked now, but rather the % off whatever the price is listed at when the discounts are announced (if that makes sense) so I don’t know if that will help or not (and subsequently changed our resecations to POFQ).

Last edited:

I don’t think the goal is to upgrade the resorts and place them in another category of rates. AoA is already mostly priced at the moderate level anyway. They would need to upgrade the services and amenities in those resorts to bump them up.

The point is to be able to move massive amounts of people to HS for SW:GE without putting the equivalent number of busses on the road and seeing them causing backups in the HS parking. Disney is also looking in stopping the growth of or reducing CO2 emissions from their WDW operations and it will certainly help in that regard.

I just don't think so....all of this.

I had booked rooms at CBR for our August 2019 trip woth the same intention of beating the increase but if I change my package type when the discounts for the summer come out I am assuming that I wouldn’t get the % off the price I booked now, but rather the % off whatever the price is listed at when the discoubts are announced so I don’t know if that will help or not (and subsequently changed our resecations to POFQ).

I don’t think the resorts will go up as much just due to gondolas as they will when SWGE opens. My guess is when they release rates next summer for 2020 we will see a big jump because the gondola hotels may be perceived as more convenient to DHS. I was more concerned about a potential lack of discounts for December 2019 if SWGE opens at that time. I booked a rate I am comfortable with and don’t plan to make any changes for that trip unless there is some great deal that comes up. I have not booked my May or September 2019 trips yet, hoping that some good discounts will be released (although I may book them as bouncebacks when I am there next month, as a backup).

I think in August, there will still be incentives to get people to visit before SWGE opens. Since they already released the rack rates for 2019, you may be fine as far as getting some sort of discount.

Aren't they trying to move away from the 3 resort classifications anyway? If the market will bear it, I fully expect higher than average increases for the gondola resorts.

I think you hit the nail on the head here; it all depends on what the market will bear. If guests like gondola resorts, more people will book them, squeezing inventory and driving prices up. It's another fun feature that Disney can use to market and differentiate these hotel experiences. So if I were a betting man, I would bet on increases.

I don't think there is any question that is Disney's intent considering all the plussing they have done to the Values "recently".

The only challenge I see when it comes from moving away from the three categories is room size. If a customer has the option of staying in a Pop size room for a similar price as a WL or AKL size room, which would you pick? I figure the monorail and Epcot deluxes will always have a location premium that Pop can't match, but WL and AKL are deluxes without that location premium, and of course, all the current moderates would also have larger rooms than Pop and only CBR can claim a gondola premium. If I can get more room for the same price, I am going with that larger room even if it means buses or boats instead of gondolas.

I wouldn't be shocked--the Pop already is (imo, but seems like general opinion reflects this too!) much nicer than the other similarly priced resorts, so I think it was probably headed for an increase anyway.

Pop has gone up significantly though already. I was getting AP discounted rooms for $95 only a year or two ago and this year the AP rate was from $125-150 for the same timeframe. $150 was what I paid for CBR with a discount just 2 years ago.

It will be pretty upsetting (though not surprising) if they hike it up even further. Especially, since the gondolas have zero appeal to me. I can't see myself ever using them as I'm much too afraid of heights.

Pop has gone up significantly though already. I was getting AP discounted rooms for $95 only a year or two ago and this year the AP rate was from $125-150 for the same timeframe. $150 was what I paid for CBR with a discount just 2 years ago.

It will be pretty upsetting (though not surprising) if they hike it up even further. Especially, since the gondolas have zero appeal to me. I can't see myself ever using them as I'm much too afraid of heights.

Even at the higher prices, Pop is still the most demanded of all the values, and having something new like the gondolas at CBR will likely drive up demand as well. I would prepare that prices are going to go up, but because people are willing to pay more. If these resorts are still filled just below capacity at the new prices, it's just supply and demand. I understand why that might feel upsetting though as nobody likes to pay more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts