Skyliner breakdown and BWVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've owned at BWV for more than 20 years. Short lines at the IG are certainly nice, but we don't feel entitled to them, nor would we begrudge guests of other resorts a bus ride home from the Boardwalk bus stop when the Skyliner is unavailable. Sorry to read other DVC Members might.

The difference is that the three resorts you reference are on the monorail and have been since they opened. They have always been busy unlike the Epcot resort area which is a little off the beaten path.

For many years, Disney ran buses between the BoardWalk and other resorts to attract patrons. The BW used to operate 3 night clubs on a daily basis (including ESPN) before lack of interest forced them to cut back.

Disney always intended for the BoardWalk to be a bigger draw. It wasn't, and they responded accordingly by scaling back services. But there should never have been any assumption that it would forever remain the relatively lifeless destination it had become in the last few years.

The difference is that the three resorts you reference are on the monorail and have been since they opened. They have always been busy unlike the Epcot resort area which is a little off the beaten path.

As far as Chef Mickey's is concerned it is located in the Concourse area of the Contemporary hotel this is a very large area that also has the monorail running through it. What else would you expect?

People lining up at Trader Sam's? That is in the lower level of the resort and doesn't really cause much of a problem unless you didn't get there early enough and can't get in... I do agree that the crowds lined up for 'Ohana's is a bit much but again that has been around for a long time, so no surprise there.

People napping in the lobby of the GF? How do you know they aren't guests of the GF just resting while part of there party is shopping, in the restroom or just walking around the lobby? Again this resort is on the monorail and has been from the time it opened so no one should be suprised when this resort has lots of sightseers.

This is really like the neighborhood over from me, where they are all shocked that a plat near them that has been zoned a certain kind of commercial for 20 years is being developed... and it's being developed commercially according to its zoning. So the trees and open field will be gone, and they're wringing their hands about how this ruins everything.

It's been zoned for this for decades. And the reality is that Disney could have been redeveloping the back of Epcot for decades as well.

It is very easy to see the guests who park at BWV to walk to Epcot. If you have a standard view villa that overlooks the parking lot, just watch after the fireworks end. It was a sea of people walking to their cars and exiting the parking lot. No stalking required, just had to be outside enjoying the balcony.
How do you know they were not eating dinner at one of the several restaurants on the Boardwalk?

. I know someone who is DVC and gets rental car and parks at all the resorts to do whatever they want (SSR to walk into DS, BW/BC to walk into HS or Epcot, Poly to monorail to MK). They do it on the regular and never have issues. Have different lies they give. Only place they won't try is CR/BLT as they have been turned away there.
They have been cracking down on this to some degree, particularly at monorail resorts, during busier times, although I do not think its something they can really stop. I have been turned away when I have literally been going to the resort for something at the resort. Actually happened to me twice at the Poly. I think it all depends on the gate house attendant.

Companies regulate parking and access to buildings everywhere. It would be very easy for Disney to do it. Obviously for the parking lot just put in regular parking take a ticket booths. We were staying at a hotel in nyc a few months ago where there was someone at the door clearly making sure guests in the lobby had a reason to be there. There isn’t even a restaurant at boardwalk. There is just a puny lounge. There really is no reason for anyone not staying at BW to be in the hotel proper. Disney also needs to send out cease and desist letters to bloggers like AJ who advertise that hotel lounges and lobbies are good places to take naps for people not even staying at the hotel. That is not the purpose of a hotel lounge. That is called loitering.
The Boardwalk is more than a hotel.... it’s an entertainment area. Where would you suggest guests park for an evening at Jellyrolls?

I saw tons of people coming and going in ubers for hours on a Saturday night last October. I think food and wine related. That tone of year the guard gatekeepers are more strict. It’s when there’s a mass exodus right after Epcot at times ithere that food and wine closes that I think it’s people parking for easy entrance/exit to Epcot.

The Boardwalk is more than a hotel.... it’s an entertainment area. Where would you suggest guests park for an evening at Jellyrolls?

I did not actually specifically comment on the parking situation. I was commenting on non-guests using guest facilities. I do not consider the stores, restaurants, and bars on The Boardwalk to be part of the hotel, so I personally do not care who uses them. I do care if more non guests start to use the Boardwalk hotels and villas. There is already a problem with this.

But... here is my take on the parking. First,I am not sure what you mean about the boardwalk being more than a hotel. Boardwalk hotel and villas is only a hotel. The Boardwalk proper, that happens to have the same name, is separate. What portion of Boardwalk Hotel parking is designated for hotel guests verses jelly roll guests? No idea. Is that where Boardwalk visitors are supposed to park? Or are they supposed to park at the TTC? No idea. But my feeling on the parking is like parking anywhere. If guests staying at the hotel have to pay for parking, then I think it is only fair that other people using the parking lot should also have to pay. Why should one group have to pay, while another group does not? It is a weird situation, honestly, and it sounds like it will get worse with the Skyliner. But paying guests at Disney resorts and dvc owners should not be subsidizing non guests.

Once the Skyliner stabilizes, it would make more sense for those wanting free parking with quick/easy access to EPCOT and DHS to park at CB or Riviera, since parking at those resorts is less likely to be restricted ( at least for awhile).

I predict lots of complaints re non-guest parking ( and maybe re morning & evening lines at the Skyliner stations will come from guests staying at the CB& Riviera resorts (and less from BWI/BWV guests).

Once the Skyliner stabilizes, it would make more sense for those wanting free parking with quick/easy access to EPCOT and DHS to park at CB or Riviera, since parking at those resorts is less likely to be restricted ( at least for awhile).

I predict lots of complaints re non-guest parking ( and maybe re morning & evening lines at the Skyliner stations will come from guests staying at the CB& Riviera resorts (and less from BWI/BWV guests).
MTE. Parking near the Skyliner stations ar CBR and RIV will be a much shorter walk than leaving the IG and walking to the BWV or YC/BC lots.

However, I am not looking forward to the increased foot traffic that the Boardwalk will see as a result of the new ease of access the Skyliner provides.

I do care if more non guests start to use the Boardwalk hotels and villas. There is already a problem with this.

I don't understand what you mean by non-guests using the hotel and DVC? So, in what sense are you thinking non-guests could possibly use the hotel and villas? Are they going to commandeer a guest room? Are they going to walk through the lobby, or maybe have a seat in a chair in the public lobby area? And since the main entry to the actual boardwalk is usually through the lobby for most people, unless they are coming from the IG, and that the ADA requires access for disabled to the public area, and the elevator is inside the hotel/lobby area...

Last edited:
I don't understand what you mean by non-guests using the hotel ad DVC? So, in what sense are you thinking non-guests could possibly use the hotel and villas? Are they going to commandeer a guest room? Are they going to walk through the lobby, or maybe have a seat in a chair in the public lobby area? And since the main entry to the actual boardwalk is usually through the lobby for most people, unless they are coming from the IG, and that the ADA requires access for disabled to the public area, and the elevator is inside the hotel/lobby area...

I touched on this in another post. By non guests using the hotel, I mean using hotel facilities. Non guests should not be using the pool, the work out areas, using the dvc paid for community hall, should not, frankly, be hanging out in the lobby or using the already undersized belle vue lounge. If Disney wanted the belle vue to be a public area, they should have made it much, much larger. I have been in many hotels where bars and restaurants draw outsiders, but those bars and restaurants are appropriately sized. But no hotel allows and encourages non guests to use pools or facilities that are designed for paying guests—- except Disney.

If Disney directs non paying guests through the resort via the bus or parking, then guests will continue to use facilities that they have not paid to use. And they will do so exponentially. People who pay for expensive hotels expect to be able to get a drink somewhere in their hotel at the end of the day should they desire. I don’t want to walk into my $600 or $1000/ night hotel and not be able to get to the bar because it is overrun by people not even staying at the hotel. I do not want to walk into my $600 or $1000/night hotel and have people sleeping on lobby couches or have hoards of people crowding around on their way to the bus stop. It is unpleasant. The parks are wild and crowded, but people pay to have a refuge away from the parks, not to have the parks brought into their hotel. I have no problem with hoards on the Boardwalk, but not in the hotel/villas. Disney has to start guarding the privacy and relaxation of their paying hotel guests. Disney certainly doesn’t let guests into their parks for free.

Way too many people is how.
I simply have never seen the masses of people that others have, and I’m there quite often at that time.
Regardless, there is just no way know for certain each persons business. ESPN, Jellyrolls, Abracadabar, the restaurants... that’s quite a few people. The guard does a pretty good job screening the folks upon entry, but I’m sure some may over stay their dinner reservation to watch the show.

I touched on this in another post. By non guests using the hotel, I mean using hotel facilities. Non guests should not be using the pool, the work out areas, using the dvc paid for community hall, should not, frankly, be hanging out in the lobby or using the already undersized belle vue lounge. If Disney wanted the belle vue to be a public area, they should have made it much, much larger. I have been in many hotels where bars and restaurants draw outsiders, but those bars and restaurants are appropriately sized. But no hotel allows and encourages non guests to use pools or facilities that are designed for paying guests—- except Disney.

If Disney directs non paying guests through the resort via the bus or parking, then guests will continue to use facilities that they have not paid to use. And they will do so exponentially. People who pay for expensive hotels expect to be able to get a drink somewhere in their hotel at the end of the day should they desire. I don’t want to walk into my $600 or $1000/ night hotel and not be able to get to the bar because it is overrun by people not even staying at the hotel. I do not want to walk into my $600 or $1000/night hotel and have people sleeping on lobby couches or have hoards of people crowding around on their way to the bus stop. It is unpleasant. The parks are wild and crowded, but people pay to have a refuge away from the parks, not to have the parks brought into their hotel. I have no problem with hoards on the Boardwalk, but not in the hotel/villas. Disney has to start guarding the privacy and relaxation of their paying hotel guests. Disney certainly doesn’t let guests into their parks for free.
Whoa. I stopped reading your post when you said guests should not be allowed to buy a drink at the Bellevue Lounge. That floored me.

Okay, after reading the remainder....
Disney does not allow or encourage non-guests to use the facilities, unless under the poll hopping policy.
Also, I have yet to see someone leaving Epcot to catch a bus at BW and decide to stop for a quick workout in the weight room.

Whoa. I stopped reading your post when you said guests should not be allowed to buy a drink at the Bellevue Lounge. That floored me.
That’s not what I said. I said that if Disney wants to encourage people who are not paying guests to go to places like the belle vue lounge that they should have made it much larger. It is not fair for Disney to bring non paying guests into a hotel and effectively push out paying guests.

I do not know of many hotels that limit their bars to guests of the hotels (and if its like BLT, BWV members do not own Belle Vue Lounge).
Boardwalk pools are available for pool hopping - to DVC MEMBERS only (at least in theory).
You can make the argument that you should be able to get a sit down meal at such an expensive hotel without having to book it 180 days out (but thats usually not the case at Disney).
I don't think you can change someone 25$ to park that wants to go to Jelly Rolls. Ample Hills is not owned by Disney, they owners would probably be unhappy if Disney started putting a 25$ parking fee on the parking lot for it.

Now loitering is a totally different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!