Skyliner breakdown and BWVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or the folks who park at BW just to walk into Epcot or HS. Every time I am staying there, I watch folks do it. The parking is limited already.

I agree these lounges need to have more space and definitely need more staff. I don't know why BW resort can't use the Attic as another lounge. It's for booking events and not used regularly. They could have that space as a full time lounge.
I don’t believe it’s possible to watch folks do it without completely stalking their every move. You don’t know if they checked in days prior.
We are locals and consistently valet at BW and visit Epcot. Do you watch us? We are legit as we valet and present a tables receipt when picking up our car. Do you follow us throughout the night?

I don’t believe it’s possible to watch folks do it without completely stalking their every move. You don’t know if they checked in days prior.
We are locals and consistently valet at BW and visit Epcot. Do you watch us? We are legit as we valet and present a tables receipt when picking up our car. Do you follow us throughout the night?

It is very easy to see the guests who park at BWV to walk to Epcot. If you have a standard view villa that overlooks the parking lot, just watch after the fireworks end. It was a sea of people walking to their cars and exiting the parking lot. No stalking required, just had to be outside enjoying the balcony.

Companies regulate parking and access to buildings everywhere. It would be very easy for Disney to do it. Obviously for the parking lot just put in regular parking take a ticket booths. We were staying at a hotel in nyc a few months ago where there was someone at the door clearly making sure guests in the lobby had a reason to be there. There isn’t even a restaurant at boardwalk. There is just a puny lounge. There really is no reason for anyone not staying at BW to be in the hotel proper. Disney also needs to send out cease and desist letters to bloggers like AJ who advertise that hotel lounges and lobbies are good places to take naps for people not even staying at the hotel. That is not the purpose of a hotel lounge. That is called loitering.

First thanks for the photos, very sad to see. This really upsets me, this was my biggest fear that IG would be a mess with all the new traffic. I'm hoping that in time and at the time of year we travel these crowd will level off. If not this is a real kick in the B__t to those guests staying at resorts in the Epcot area. People paying cash pay a premium to stay in this area with one of the big bennies being IG. Those of us who own DVC at the Epcot area resorts will also be negatively affected not to mention the added traffic on the BW itself. Very upsetting. I guess we will have to wait and see...
I was at Boardwalk from 9/28-10/1. This was just not the case. No wait for IG any day that I was there. Don't panic, people. ;)

Do any of them do 30 a minute, consistently, minute after minute, during that 2 hour rush you reference? Sure doesn't seem like it.

FYI, as part of the Skyliner station addition, the number of security checkpoints and park entry gates expanded. They have no less than 5 bag check points with metal detectors at the International Gateway. If they can’t get an extra 30+ people per minute thru there efficiently, it’s a staffing issue not a “the IG isn’t big enough for all that traffic” issue.

After a long flight with rooms not being ready until after 3 (cash resorts) or 4 (DVC) people do fall asleep in the lobby while waiting. I don't get park tickets for the first and last days of a trip. I've fallen asleep in Papa's Den at OKW after an early morning flight. Sometimes I go to Disney Springs while waiting, sometimes not.

Last edited:
I was at Boardwalk from 9/28-10/1. This was just not the case. No wait for IG any day that I was there. Don't panic, people. ;)
Exactly, the sky is not falling. We went on the Skyliner from HS to Epcot on 10-2-19 at 9:00 AM. There was a short line at International Gateway. This was mostly due to a group that had some issues entering. If the Skyliner is running, BW people should notice only a sight increase at IG. If it’s down then BW will be busy, due to the detour bus route. How often will this happen? Probably not to often.

Nah. But we have watched folks go to gate (not the arm where we, guests, use our band to get in) and talk for a bit, park in the lot where we park and then walk down the stairs next to portico that go down to boardwalk. Maybe they are guests...but then they'd use band to get in but I suppose they might have forgotten band but then they couldn't get back in room. They could be just arriving. BUt then you'd think they need to go into lobby to check in or use rest room before walking down to BW. Maybe not though. I know someone who is DVC and gets rental car and parks at all the resorts to do whatever they want (SSR to walk into DS, BW/BC to walk into HS or Epcot, Poly to monorail to MK). They do it on the regular and never have issues. Have different lies they give. Only place they won't try is CR/BLT as they have been turned away there.

It is very easy to see the guests who park at BWV to walk to Epcot. If you have a standard view villa that overlooks the parking lot, just watch after the fireworks end. It was a sea of people walking to their cars and exiting the parking lot. No stalking required, just had to be outside enjoying the balcony.
This too. My standard view balcony just overlooked that portico and not only saw this but saw those lovely gondolas stopped a lot last week. Most of the time it was briefly stopped...until that one night :rolleyes:

I was there 9/27 to 10/6 and we waited going in...not too badly but was not as swift as before (before I could literally walk right in pretty much, now there is a line...maybe not a party line at MK at 4pm but a line nonetheless). Though leaving, in the evenings, was a nightmare. They had one skinny shoot for all those folks to pour out of. They have construction going on with an area walled off still (the IG expansion is not done...it is pretty much the same turnstiles and security as we had in March and last Oct...just now they have all open but the expansion is not done yet). I posted the pics.

Oh and one of the last days we went into Epcot the CMs weren't calling for us to use fingerprint. All we had to do was tap our Mickey to Mickey. They were trying to make it quicker so as not to build up crazy lines is my guess. There were small lines at all the turnstiles.

After a long flight with rooms not being ready until after 3 (cash resorts) or 4 (DVC) people do fall asleep in the lobby while waiting. I don't get park tickets for the first and last days of a trip. I've fallen asleep in Papa's Den at OKW after an early morning flight. Sometimes I go to Disney Springs while waiting, sometimes not.
Do u take off your shoes and put your bare feet on the furniture and lie down on a sofa? Or are you sitting upright in a chair having trouble keeping your eyes open? There is a difference. If you are using the lounge as a bedroom, that just is not cool period.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many of those could be people that had earlier dinner reservations at one of the restaurants at the Boardwalk that then headed over to Epcot? I am not sure what could be done about that group.

I think the biggest issue with the crowds going forward for the next couple of years at the IG will be the busses from CBR, POP, AOA and RIV dropping off at BW for Epcot in addition to Skyliner traffic. I think this is the plan from Disney to relieve stress at the front entrance while all the construction is going on at that end of the park more than to direct purchases at Boardwalk businesses. The extra sales at Boardwalk would just be a bonus.

Exactly, the sky is not falling. We went on the Skyliner from HS to Epcot on 10-2-19 at 9:00 AM. There was a short line at International Gateway. This was mostly due to a group that had some issues entering. If the Skyliner is running, BW people should notice only a sight increase at IG. If it’s down then BW will be busy, due to the detour bus route. How often will this happen? Probably not to often.
Okay...we'll see. Had 1.5 hour shut down and then that 3 hour one in just the very first week of operating. My hopes aren't that high that this thing won't shut down too often.

Last edited:
I know someone who is DVC and gets rental car and parks at all the resorts to do whatever they want (SSR to walk into DS, BW/BC to walk into HS or Epcot, Poly to monorail to MK). They do it on the regular and never have issues. Have different lies they give. Only place they won't try is CR/BLT as they have been turned away there.

That makes no sense at all. DVC, like ALL onsite guests, can park for free at the theme parks. I often drove to the parks with Mom because of her using her personal wheelchair. The exception was MK, where it was always better to use a bus from OKW than to park and walk under the road to the TTC. Now that she is gone, I use the busses for everything, unless we have a character breakfast at a resort, then I use a Minnie Van.

Do u take off your shoes and put your bare feet on the furniture and lie down on a sofa? Or are you sitting upright in a chair having trouble keeping your eyes open? There is a difference. If you are using the lounge as a bedroom, that just is not cool period.
Only if I'm wearing socks :rolleyes1

I really don't see how "people paying a premium to stay in the Epcot area" should have had any expectation of it staying quiet.

See also: People paying a premium for Contemporary and having the traffic for Chef Icky and Cali Grill.
People paying a premium for Poly and having lines out the door for Trader Sam's specialty mugs, and people all over the lobby at every hour for 'Ohana.
People paying a premium for Grand FLoridian to have people taking a nap in the lobby mid-day.

The difference is that the three resorts you reference are on the monorail and have been since they opened. They have always been busy unlike the Epcot resort area which is a little off the beaten path.

As far as Chef Mickey's is concerned it is located in the Concourse area of the Contemporary hotel this is a very large area that also has the monorail running through it. What else would you expect?

People lining up at Trader Sam's? That is in the lower level of the resort and doesn't really cause much of a problem unless you didn't get there early enough and can't get in... I do agree that the crowds lined up for 'Ohana's is a bit much but again that has been around for a long time, so no surprise there.

People napping in the lobby of the GF? How do you know they aren't guests of the GF just resting while part of there party is shopping, in the restroom or just walking around the lobby? Again this resort is on the monorail and has been from the time it opened so no one should be suprised when this resort has lots of sightseers.

Quiet, not busy is not going to happen often at WDW anymore. If it does, such was the case of Artist Pointe at Wilderness Lodge, then Disney will do what is necessary to be bring in more people. Be careful what you wish for.

I don't understand what your point is. Are you suggesting they would have closed down IG? I think that is highly unlikely, if they did they would have to bus all the guests in the Epcot area resorts to the front of Epcot...or are you suggesting they would have closed the resorts in the Epcot area? Again very unlikely, too much $ invested and it's a very popular area that brings in lots of $. So again I don't know what you mean when you say "be careful what you wish for".

So the Skyliner wasn't constructed to move guests more efficiently to-and-from 5000+ hotel rooms, rather it was so they could sell a few more scoops each day at Ample Hills?
Went to Ample Hills once, that was enough. Beaches and Cream better

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!