Skyliner breakdown and BWVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, after reading the remainder....
Disney does not allow or encourage non-guests to use the facilities, unless under the poll hopping policy.
Also, I have yet to see someone leaving Epcot to catch a bus at BW and decide to stop for a quick workout in the weight room.
Since Disney does not stop non paying guests from entering the pool, they do effectively encourage it. Don’t give people ideas on the weight room. ;)

That’s not what I said. I said that if Disney wants to encourage people who are not paying guests to go to places like the belle vue lounge that they should have made it much larger. It is not fair for Disney to bring non paying guests into a hotel and effectively push out paying guests.
Well, if I’m not staying at at the hotel, yet buying drinks at the lounge, am I not a paying guest?

dvc paid for community hall
My understanding has been they are typically at DVC Resorts however they are open to all guests of the resort (for sure DVC says any DVC owner can go to any Community Hall, this was stated multiple times during my tours). In fact Walt Disney Resort's website lists them as recreation for cash paying guests. Also I'd have to look at who even own's the space of the community halls. My guess is they might be declared as part of the Association (though I'm not even sure about that) but actually owned by Disney (similar to TOTWL and pool bar at BLT and any other commercial space).

Edit: It does say that cash guests must be staying at the resort, I initially missed that. Though I wonder the policy for DVC guests of another resort...

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/community-halls/
Don’t give people ideas on the weight room
DVC members are allowed to gym hop, just thought I would throw it out there.

Last edited:
Well, if I’m not staying at at the hotel, yet buying drinks at the lounge, am I not a paying guest?
I see your point. And I agree to an extent, but what I am saying is that the bar should first and foremost accommodate people staying at the hotel. Since the belle vue is barely sized to do that, Disney should not be encouraging non paying guests to visit the lounge.

My understanding has been they are typically at DVC Resorts however they are open to all guests of any resort (for sure DVC says any DVC owner can go to any Community Hall, this was stated multiple times during my tours). In fact Walt Disney Resort's website lists them as recreation for cash paying guests. Also I'd have to look at who even own's the space of the community halls. My guess is they might be declared as part of the Association (though I'm not even sure about that) but actually owned by Disney (similar to TOTWL and pool bar at BLT and any other commercial space).

But the short answer is WDW seems to offer them as a recreation offer to cash guests.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/community-halls/
I am under this impression as well. But what I do not like is people not even staying at the hotel coming to use the community hall or other guest (dvc or cash) facilities. This does happen. And there are bloggers all over the internet encouraging people to do this.

As a BW DVC member I'm not real happy about this but I guess there isn't anything I can do about it. Disney owns the property and they can pretty much do anything they want.

Sweet Jesus, stop complaining about people being on "your property" and be glad that there was some direction in this incident. The whole thing was handled quite smoothly in my opinion. People with opinions like you are what make DVC owners look bad.

My understanding has been they are typically at DVC Resorts however they are open to all cash guests of that resort (for
I do not know of many hotels that limit their bars to guests of the hotels (and if its like BLT, BWV members do not own Belle Vue Lounge).
Boardwalk pools are available for pool hopping - to DVC MEMBERS only (at least in theory).
You can make the argument that you should be able to get a sit down meal at such an expensive hotel without having to book it 180 days out (but thats usually not the case at Disney).
I don't think you can change someone 25$ to park that wants to go to Jelly Rolls. Ample Hills is not owned by Disney, they owners would probably be unhappy if Disney started putting a 25$ parking fee on the parking lot for it.

Now loitering is a totally different story.

So we can agree on loitering. ;)

Nothing makes Walt Disney World more magical than policing who is allowed to congregate in a resort lobby or buy a coffee at the lounge.

I simply have never seen the masses of people that others have, and I’m there quite often at that time.
Regardless, there is just no way know for certain each persons business. ESPN, Jellyrolls, Abracadabar, the restaurants... that’s quite a few people. The guard does a pretty good job screening the folks upon entry, but I’m sure some may over stay their dinner reservation to watch the show.

You're correct about that. Disney created a resort area that encourages non-resort guests to visit the area at night. If that's something that bothers someone, Id say the BW is not a good resort for them. If someone was going to be nefarious about free parking its the easiest resort to pull that over on, because of the boardwalk area.

I thought guests are supposed to visit the BW by using resort transportation...not really parking. If you drove up to gate at BW and said you wanted to park to just check out the stuff on the BW I don't think they'd let you. You have to have a MB scanned for an ADR. Which doesn't account for just visiting CS/ice cream/bar/magic shows/carnival games/store/bakery/etc. as those places don't do ADRs. So it was my understanding they (Disney) wishes guests to get there by resort transport (boat, bus, walking from other places, Minnie Van, etc). It's never made sense to me but I do hate how tough the parking is at BW for us as a BWV guest. I mean they allow pool hopping, but again I think they use wording to the affect of 'you may pool hop via free resort transport'.

I thought guests are supposed to visit the BW by using resort transportation...not really parking. If you drove up to gate at BW and said you wanted to park to just check out the stuff on the BW I don't think they'd let you. You have to have a MB scanned for an ADR. Which doesn't account for just visiting CS/ice cream/bar/magic shows/carnival games/store/bakery/etc. as those places don't do ADRs. So it was my understanding they (Disney) wishes guests to get there by resort transport (boat, bus, walking from other places, Minnie Van, etc). It's never made sense to me but I do hate how tough the parking is at BW for us as a BWV guest. I mean they allow pool hopping, but again I think they use wording to the affect of 'you may pool hop via free resort transport'.
Well yes and no. Technically speaking, direct from the website:

Day Guests
Complimentary standard self-parking is available while enjoying select dining, shopping, entertainment, and recreation experiences at Disney Resort hotels.​

What I always took that to mean (and been told at resorts) is that it is fully up to the gate attendant to determine what qualifies (with likely some guidance from the GM). I personally have had no issues parking at resorts to pick up a quick gift in a gift shop or eat at a QS, always have asked the parking attendant if that was allowed since the policy does allow (if I'm told no I understand). I've also parked at BW to eat (with ADRs) but have not always had my magicband scanned. I think they limit what "select" means based on the availability of parking that day. I will say that they do request you leave the lot within 3 hours (might be 4 I always forget) when you park to explore/shop/eat a resort.

IMO, the easiest enforcement would be a "free" parking window and if you stay over X hours you are charged Y amount for parking (but this would require infrastructure to be built out). That way the parking is used to explore/eat/shop the resort and leave and not hop to a park with your car in the lot. And if it's more than parking at the parks it will certainly make people change their minds.

One resort that I yet to stay at that I really want to is the Poly. I will have to rent points, there is no other way. Maybe a couple nights during a trip in the future. But I really don't know how well I will like it being as being a registered guest verses being the dining guest, sight seeing guest, and such that we have been in the past. Not sure if I will like staying a such a crowded resort, but I will find out one day, I hope. But I am glad we have been able to dine there, hang out there and such. We have never pool hopped though.

We use MDE, so I have no skin in the game....... But why wouldn't Disney charge anyone parking an hourly rate to park in a parking lot that they charge Resort Guests to park overnight, maybe a prorated rate for under 2 hours, but shouldn't any one parking get charged the same rate per hour that hotel guests are charged! This would probably cut down on a lot of abusers, and actually be fair to the hotel guests. Plus would encourage people to use the mass transit systems in place.

We use MDE, so I have no skin in the game....... But why wouldn't Disney charge anyone parking an hourly rate to park in a parking lot that they charge Resort Guests to park overnight, maybe a prorated rate for under 2 hours, but shouldn't any one parking get charged the same rate per hour that hotel guests are charged! This would probably cut down on a lot of abusers, and actually be fair to the hotel guests. Plus would encourage people to use the mass transit systems in place.
This exactly was why so many were enraged at the parking fee. It did nothing to stop visitors from abusing the day parking & slapped a fee on an already expensive resort stay. Many of us cried cash grab.

I touched on this in another post. By non guests using the hotel, I mean using hotel facilities. Non guests should not be using the pool, the work out areas, using the dvc paid for community hall, should not, frankly, be hanging out in the lobby or using the already undersized belle vue lounge. If Disney wanted the belle vue to be a public area, they should have made it much, much larger. I have been in many hotels where bars and restaurants draw outsiders, but those bars and restaurants are appropriately sized. But no hotel allows and encourages non guests to use pools or facilities that are designed for paying guests—- except Disney.

If Disney directs non paying guests through the resort via the bus or parking, then guests will continue to use facilities that they have not paid to use. And they will do so exponentially. People who pay for expensive hotels expect to be able to get a drink somewhere in their hotel at the end of the day should they desire. I don’t want to walk into my $600 or $1000/ night hotel and not be able to get to the bar because it is overrun by people not even staying at the hotel. I do not want to walk into my $600 or $1000/night hotel and have people sleeping on lobby couches or have hoards of people crowding around on their way to the bus stop. It is unpleasant. The parks are wild and crowded, but people pay to have a refuge away from the parks, not to have the parks brought into their hotel. I have no problem with hoards on the Boardwalk, but not in the hotel/villas. Disney has to start guarding the privacy and relaxation of their paying hotel guests. Disney certainly doesn’t let guests into their parks for free.

I've never seen Disney promote or encourage the use of the pool or gym to non-resort guests unless allowed under the rules of the pool hopping policy, although I don't believe it's effectively enforced, but that's a whole other subject. However, I do understand your frustration regarding the use of other amenities by non-guests such as the restaurants and lounges. I own at PVB and AKV. It's very difficult to get a reservation at 'Ohana due to it's popularity and we've often had difficulty finding a seat at Tambu Lounge when we want to grab a drink after a long hot day at the parks. I've never openly complained and have no plans to in the future, but it can be frustrating when amenities are being utilized by non-resort guests to the point were those of us who are spending our points or $$$ have very limited or no access.

I live 20 minutes away. My wife and I go to F&W and the other parks now and then, but mostly we go for dinner somewhere in the Boardwalk area.
I need to park somewhere.

All that said, we valet park 100% of the time so it’s a non issue for us. Others that do not valet...???

I touched on this in another post. By non guests using the hotel, I mean using hotel facilities. Non guests should not be using the pool, the work out areas, using the dvc paid for community hall, should not, frankly, be hanging out in the lobby or using the already undersized belle vue lounge. If Disney wanted the belle vue to be a public area, they should have made it much, much larger. I have been in many hotels where bars and restaurants draw outsiders, but those bars and restaurants are appropriately sized. But no hotel allows and encourages non guests to use pools or facilities that are designed for paying guests—- except Disney.

If Disney directs non paying guests through the resort via the bus or parking, then guests will continue to use facilities that they have not paid to use. And they will do so exponentially. People who pay for expensive hotels expect to be able to get a drink somewhere in their hotel at the end of the day should they desire. I don’t want to walk into my $600 or $1000/ night hotel and not be able to get to the bar because it is overrun by people not even staying at the hotel. I do not want to walk into my $600 or $1000/night hotel and have people sleeping on lobby couches or have hoards of people crowding around on their way to the bus stop. It is unpleasant. The parks are wild and crowded, but people pay to have a refuge away from the parks, not to have the parks brought into their hotel. I have no problem with hoards on the Boardwalk, but not in the hotel/villas. Disney has to start guarding the privacy and relaxation of their paying hotel guests. Disney certainly doesn’t let guests into their parks for free.
Haven't all the Disney pools been gated, with a magic band coded for guests staying at that hotel required to open the gate? DVC Pool hoppers should be the only non-BW guests in the pool area. Work out room should also be electronically coded. I'm not familiar with BW community hall, what is there to draw in non-BW guests, most community halls like the one at OKW, only have specific activities, arts and crafts, tastings and so forth, some are free to DVC Members some have a reduced charge for members over non-Members staying at the resort. Community halls aren't something the general public would be anxious to use, are they?

Haven't all the Disney pools been gated, with a magic band coded for guests staying at that hotel required to open the gate? DVC Pool hoppers should be the only non-BW guests in the pool area. Work out room should also be electronically coded. I'm not familiar with BW community hall, what is there to draw in non-BW guests, most community halls like the one at OKW, only have specific activities, arts and crafts, tastings and so forth, some are free to DVC Members some have a reduced charge for members over non-Members staying at the resort. Community halls aren't something the general public would be anxious to use, are they?
They had to unlock the pools for emergency services, right? Of all the resorts we stayed at, the Yatch and Beach Club were the only ones we were carded at the pool.

All that said, we valet park 100% of the time so it’s a non issue for us. Others that do not valet...???

Being local, I would assume you have the TiW card for dinner and valet parking. (Do they still get free valet when dining? I haven't had a car at Disney for a few years) I really haven't found it really inconvenient going resort to resort using Disney transportation, but it is time consuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts