Skyliner breakdown and BWVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am talking about Flying Fish being specifically for BWV guests or V+A being held specifically for GFV guests. Yes hotel guests get 180+10 but I wouldn't really book that anyways for anything ever. Basically out V+A Chef's Table, Fireworks timing at Cali, and Cali Brunch I don't think anything else requires that +10 if you really want the reservation.

My whole point is it would be nice to have more flexibility when staying at the resort to get things last minute. Even if it was still limited seating (even a single table in certain restaurants).
So nobody else should be able to book the restaurants?

I am talking about Flying Fish being specifically for BWV guests or V+A being held specifically for GFV guests. Yes hotel guests get 180+10 but I wouldn't really book that anyways for anything ever. Basically out V+A Chef's Table, Fireworks timing at Cali, and Cali Brunch I don't think anything else requires that +10 if you really want the reservation.

My whole point is it would be nice to have more flexibility when staying at the resort to get things last minute. Even if it was still limited seating (even a single table in certain restaurants).
You are aware of what you bought I assume...
you bought a timeshare that entitles you to a room (within the booking guidelines).
You did not buy priority for restaurants or priority for anything else. Disney gives onsite guests a restaurant booking priority, but you certainly don’t expect those restaurants to be exclusive to DVC... at least I hope not.

So nobody else should be able to book the restaurants?

No not what I said. 90%-95% of the restaurant is like it is today. Just a small sliver is held for guests at that specific resort.

you bought a timeshare that entitles you to a room (within the booking guidelines).
You did not buy priority for restaurants or priority for anything else. Disney gives onsite guests a restaurant booking priority, but you certainly don’t expect those restaurants to be exclusive to DVC... at least I hope not.

This wouldn't be exclusive to anyone who owns timeshare though. This is specific to each resort and the restaurants they have onsite. Sorry I just said BWV but it would be everyone staying at BWV/BWI would have priority access to that tiny allotment of held tables. This would also extend all the way down to Fort Wilderness with Hoop De Doo.

No not what I said. 90%-95% of the restaurant is like it is today. Just a small sliver is held for guests at that specific resort.

This wouldn't be exclusive to anyone who owns timeshare though. This is specific to each resort and the restaurants they have onsite. Sorry I just said BWV but it would be everyone staying at BWV/BWI would have priority access to that tiny allotment of held tables. This would also extend all the way down to Fort Wilderness with Hoop De Doo.
What about offsite guests? Or local folks like me that frequent the restaurants?
Am I shut out?

I patronize those restaurants more than most here, but I’m not a Disney resort guest.

You did not buy an all inclusive vacation.
You pre- bought a room.

Last edited:

sethschroeder is talking about 5-10% of the total availability at a given location not the entire restaurant. I do see where this could become controversial to many who might want to eat at a given location but can't get a seat thinking the reason is due to the saved share of seats for the resort guests.

I guess my question would be what if you have 25% of availability being booked at the 180 mark and all of those tables are for guests staying at the resort where the particular restaurant is located. Would you agree that the 5-10% has been filled?

I do long for the days when it wasn't necessary to make dining reservations 180 days out. I like to be spontaneous. Who knows where you want to be or eat 180 days from now?

What about offsite guests? Or local folks like me that frequent the restaurants?
Am I shut out?

I patronize those restaurants more than most here, but I’m not a Disney resort guest.

You pre- bought a room.
But we spend so much on those rooms that we should get some perks. Lets look at the Universal hotels. Super expensive but perks are extra hour in morning and express pass. Makes it hard NOT to stay on resort. Their sister, off property, hotels do not get all those perks. As it should be. Cause folks paying all that $$$ to stay on property should get some extra perks out of it, no? Now Disney is giving the 60 day FP window to the DS off property hotels. And they get busing to the parks and can go to the limited EMH (and they limited EMH to sell pay extra hours that anyone can buy something that should be a perk for resort guests). Why do we spend the over priced cost on Disney resorts then? Stay at the Holiday Inn at DS like my niece just did and get all the same perks. I am sure some will reply how much better it is to be on Disney property and well worth the extra $$ even if you don't get any perks. I don't really get it but okay.

Next they will be asking for FP+ based on resort. It is crazy. You want exclusivity where you don't have to compete with everyone else for a dinner reservation join Club 33 for $33,000 and pay the $15,000 a year dues. That is what that kind of exclusivity cost.

But we spend so much on those rooms that we should get some perks. Lets look at the Universal hotels. Super expensive but perks are extra hour in morning and express pass. Makes it hard NOT to stay on resort. Their sister, off property, hotels do not get all those perks. As it should be. Cause folks paying all that $$$ to stay on property should get some extra perks out of it, no? Now Disney is giving the 60 day FP window to the DS off property hotels. And they get busing to the parks and can go to the limited EMH (and they limited EMH to sell pay extra hours that anyone can buy something that should be a perk for resort guests). Why do we spend the over priced cost on Disney resorts then? Stay at the Holiday Inn at DS like my niece just did and get all the same perks. I am sure some will reply how much better it is to be on Disney property and well worth the extra $$ even if you don't get any perks. I don't really get it but okay.
Technically those hotels are on property. The land is owned by Disney. It is actually pretty similar to Universal where the hotels are actually operated by Loews.

Am I shut out?

You pre- bought a room.
Not every restaurant allows every table to be reserved.

One thing I dislike about Disney is the inability to eat at places when you have not made a reservation 3 months out. I dont think they should restrict restaurants to the resort guests, but it would be nice if perhaps they left more tables open to walk-ups, so you had a chance at eating at your resort.

Otherwise, if you have a resort reservation you have the 180+10 advantage, however, IMHO, this should be changed because the current ADR system gives 0 advantage to someone staying on property to make ADRs on the first day of their stay. Perhaps more like fast passes....staying on property, ADRs start at 190 days out. Everyone else, 180. (like fast pass 60 vs 30 days)

Right now you have people who may or may not even go making ADRs when you have a hotel reservation.

I will add that we tend to wing it as far as ADRs go and have decent luck. We make the tough to get ones, like Ohana, and then just look at app while at WDW and see what has availability when/where we're looking to eat. We go so often that we don't HAVE to eat at a set 7 must-do places. And now I am liking lounge eating as well.

But I just think resort guests, theoretically coming in from afar and paying good money, should get some leg up on booking things. Though I was much happier back when there were AM and PM EMH pretty much every day and paper fast passes in park. ADRs weren't as necessary then either. And the DP was a nice deal with tips and apps included....oh, the golden days (circa 2005). Those days were what led us to buy DVC in 2006.

Am I shut out?

You have 90-95% of the tables in the restaurant. If the seating capacity is 25 tables we are talking about 2-3 tables being held. I am not sure how that is "shutting you out".

The restaurants in the hotel were first and foremost with guests of that hotel in mind. They just happen to be open to all and marketed to all.

So? You can still go there as long as you get a reservation prior to the 90-95% capacity is hit OR if you choose to walk in and try your luck the night of.

You being there more often has nothing to do with this because you understand these restaurants are not stand alone entities right? They were designed as part of the resort they reside in.

And, honestly, I think most of the locals don't do TS at WDW. Not a lot. They can drive off and hit much cheaper and easier to get into places in Orlando area. Or likely even just eat at home. Not saying all locals but likely most. We had annual passes to the National Aquarium when we lived near. We'd go in and tour but not eat there or even in Harbor at all due to it being pricey. Would just eat at home.

Puleze.... cash guests spend more than a DVC Member. And you do get perks. You get a booking advantage.
You did not buy a vacation. You bought a room.

You have 90-95% of the tables in the restaurant. If the seating capacity is 25 tables we are talking about 2-3 tables being held. I am not sure how that is "shutting you out".

The restaurants in the hotel were first and foremost with guests of that hotel in mind. They just happen to be open to all and marketed to all.

So? You can still go there as long as you get a reservation prior to the 90-95% capacity is hit OR if you choose to walk in and try your luck the night of.

You being there more often has nothing to do with this because you understand these restaurants are not stand alone entities right? They were designed as part of the resort they reside in.
Local folks don’t get the booking advantage. That’s fine. That’s your perk.

Beyond that, we will have to agree to disagree.

Puleze.... cash guests spend more than a DVC Member. And you do get perks. You get a booking advantage.
You're not a resort guest you said, so you're not DVC?? Why are you in this forum then? And what do you know about what we spend? I have 450 points, 4 APs (for 4 family members), and a TIW card. We do 1-2 TS a day and many signatures. We buy bottles of wine and many other drinks. We do the parties at MK and have done tours and whatnot. We drop the $$$ like it's going out of style. The DVC alone, we had 750 points and paid $69,455 for. Sold 300 for $26,400. So we're currently in for $43,000. And will pay about $3600 in dues in January. At least $2400 for 4 AP renewals. TIW is what now?, like $150. My tab on last trip was like $2000+ for dining and stuff (9 nights for 2 people..need to go back and look as it was prob more...tab at Oga's was over $300 alone but was for several people). Honestly, CRO with free dining would be cheaper.

Last edited:
You're not a resort guest you said, so you're not DVC?? Why are you in this forum then? And what do you know about what we spend? I have 450 points, 4 APs (for 4 family members), and a TIW card. We do 1-2 TS a day and many signatures. We buy bottles of wine and many other drinks. We do the parties at MK and have done tours and whatnot. We drop the $$$ like it's going out of style. The DVC alone, we had 750 points and paid $69,455 for. Sold 300 for $26,400. So we're currently in for $43,000. And will pay about $3600 in dues in January. At least $2400 for 4 AP renewals. TIW is what now?, like $150. My tab on last trip was like $1800 for dining and stuff (9 nights for 2 people). Honestly, CRO with free dining would be cheaper.
I was a DVC Member for many years. Roughly 21 contracts and 2000 points. I sold a few years back for various reasons. That said, I wasn’t aware being a Member was a requirement to participate in the forum.

As far as money goes, I was simply stating that a cash guest pays more for a room as compared to a Member.
I was not talking about what an individual spends on their vacation.

I was a DVC Member for many years. Roughly 21 contracts and 2000 points. I sold a few years back for various reasons. That said, I wasn’t aware being a Member was a requirement to participate in the forum.

As far as money goes, I was simply stating that a cash guest pays more for a room as compared to a Member.
I was not talking about what an individual spends on their vacation.
But its the bottom line the mouse cares about. ANd selling DVC, a supposed deal on getting a room, is only to have us locked into giving over even more money to the mouse. As I said, cash rooms with free dining is the cheaper way to go.

And I just don't get your motivation for coming into a DVC thread and interjecting so vehemently. When the gondola impact at BWV has no impact to you. You don't own there nor stay there, right? We have 255 BWV points (and pay crazy high dues there) so I care...a lot.

But its the bottom line the mouse cares about. ANd selling DVC, a supposed deal on getting a room, is only to have us locked into giving over even more money to the mouse. As I said, cash rooms with free dining is the cheaper way to go.
Not sure about that. Free dining, last I knew, required full rack rate for the room.

That said, I was never a fan of the dining plan. Never did it, and know very little about it.

.I do not know why DVC members should get an advantage at say Flying Fish. However, if they wanted to give some advantage to all those staying at the resort a little more advance booking, that might not be wrong. Maybe EVERYONE staying at Boardwalk (Villas and Inn) book BW restaurants 10 days before others? Or at least to a portion of the table. I do not see this as a DVC thing however, I just contend that it is nice to be able to eat at your resort.

My comment/idea is not about DVC members. Its about all guests in that resort. Someone who is staying in Deluxe on a cash rate is likely going to spend more than a local or someone staying offsite as they will splurge on a lot of things that a local will bypass.

Like I said I doubt Disney would ever do it but having a tiny bit of flexibility for dinner would be a nice added bonus.

Also I don't view pools to be any different than the restaurants. They are both a part of that specific resort primarily for those resort guests. To be VERY clear I live in a huge tourist area with various resorts. They specifically hold reservations for resort guests but they only do roughly 25% of the inventory. As a local I see no issues with this as I have ultimate flexibility that someone visiting does not.

You can talk anywhere you want it doesn't bother me personally. I think they are more annoyed simply because locals vs yearly guest vs once a lifetime guests will be 100% opposed to each other on topics. Does not make either right or wrong simply they are looking out for their own best interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!