Skipper's Canteen....is it just me or do they get NO love?

dkrauss

Goofy Fan from Jersey
I was able to get a 12pm reservation @ Jungle Skipper's Canteen TODAY for August 7th. I was a bit shocked...….at being able to get a primetime lunch resi 78 days out. This restaurant should be sold out and it never is. The food, which can appear to be a bit exotic (in name) is actually just beef, pork, chicken, and fish.....and it tastes great IMHO.

We've dined there 4 or 5 times and have never had a bad meal...…….just don't understand why it doesn't get the love. I know Pete likes it!

Doug :goofy:

I agree that it doesn't get the attention it deserves. Skipper Canteen is one restaurant in MK that my whole family loves.

I kind of get why it flies under the radar. My meals there have always been good, but never great. I feel that it’s a solid option, but it’s certainly not in my must-do category.

While the food is great in your opinion, many people don't like it. I have several friends who feel it was over-hyped and won't go again.

I'm glad to see that the majority of the people here like it. It's on my agenda to try on my next visit this fall. Is the food spicy there? Don't like spicy. Any specific recommendations?

I am trying it in September. My DD(24) has been there before and LOVED it ( and she's a picky eater). It was on her list of must do this trip and actually doing it on our first day in the park.

I was able to get a 12pm reservation @ Jungle Skipper's Canteen TODAY for August 7th. I was a bit shocked...….at being able to get a primetime lunch resi 78 days out. This restaurant should be sold out and it never is. The food, which can appear to be a bit exotic (in name) is actually just beef, pork, chicken, and fish.....and it tastes great IMHO.

We've dined there 4 or 5 times and have never had a bad meal...…….just don't understand why it doesn't get the love. I know Pete likes it!

Doug :goofy:
When we were there we had to wait for our ressie and there were plenty of people. It's popular for a non-character, non movie-themed restauarant. Ressies in general are relatively easy to get midsummer. That's low season for WDW now.

Last edited:
It’s hard to know whether people don’t like what they read in the menu, don’t like the cuisine, or like the cuisine but don’t like the particular execution.

I’ve only been there once, and while I was disappointed that I had to settle for deep whole yellow snapper instead of lion fish, it was excellent.

I'm glad to see that the majority of the people here like it. It's on my agenda to try on my next visit this fall. Is the food spicy there? Don't like spicy. Any specific recommendations?
Nothing really spicy. I recommend just going with what looks good to you upon arrival. We did that & liked our meals there. Food is better than average for WDW.

I have read the menu several times, and it just doesn’t look appealing at all.

I ate there once. The server seemed very put out to serve me. I got the chicken and it was so dry that it was inedible. Took me forever to flag down the server to get it taken back. Told him that I did not want anything else, that I just wanted to leave. He charged me for the chicken. Had to get up and find a manager. Worst experience that I have ever had at a Disney restaurant in 23 years.

We're eating there for the first time in November. DH and I are looking forward to it, but we've never seriously considered it before because the menu isn't very kid-friendly for picky kids who are Disney adults.

We like it. We've eaten there at least 5 times. A few times we had to wait 20+ minutes to be seated, beyond our reservation/check-in time. I've seen it full more than once. For those asking about spicy, the hot and sour soup is very spicy.

I got a reservation there just recently for a trip that's less than 2 weeks away. I agree that some feel the food is too "exotic" and it also doesn't have the draw of characters or being movie-based or any over the top theme. So it sort of makes sense that it flies under the radar.

I've only been once and I thought it was great and I'm looking forward to dining there again in 2 weeks!

We like it. We've eaten there at least 5 times. A few times we had to wait 20+ minutes to be seated, beyond our reservation/check-in time. I've seen it full more than once. For those asking about spicy, the hot and sour soup is very spicy.

I've looked at the menu lately and it appears that the hot and sour soup is no longer on the menu. The soup is now an unnamed seasonal selection. The hot and sour soup was my main reason for going to Skippers' Canteen because it was so amazing. I always figured it wouldn't last, though, because it wasn't bland enough for the masses. I'll have to get my fix at Morimoto's, for as long as that lasts.

I have a lunch ADR for Skipper Canteen on June 6th and looking forward to this being our first visit there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter