skin allergies - sheets towels

Ariel620

DIS Veteran
Anyone have any experience with really bad skin allergies? Kids are ok with using detergent like Dreft or any "free" detergent like All Free. But most traditional detergents, make them break out really bad.

What do you do in those situations? Pack your own sheets, towels? But it would be hard when flying to fit it in luggage?
Or.... I know disney is great with food allergies.... so do they have a way to accomadate this if requested (Like do they have a storage of sheets/towels washed in Dreft or something?)

Let me know if anyone has dealt with this before. Thanks!

I don't really know the answer to this, but I have pretty sensitive skin and I only use "free" or unscented detergents. I'm really sensitive to "smelly" stuff and can detect it pretty quickly in clothing, bedding, etc. I just returned and didn't detect any scent in the towels or bed linens nor did any of them give me any issues all week.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that most things are laundered in a very neutral detergent base.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that most things are laundered in a very neutral detergent base.

Now that you say this, I'd probably have to agree. Most of the scented detergents make me want to throw up (I can only handle the ones with genuine lavender or citrus oils if there is any scent - I literally gag and sometimes do actually throw up with highly scented ones) and I never detected any scent at WDW resorts on the sheets.

I've never really thought about it either, but I have to use free and clear at home or I get itchy due to allergies. Four stays in disney hotels last year and I didn't have any problems.

I've actually been to one of their laundry facilities. Wash, dry, fold all done in one fell swoop right in the same building.
They did not show us the detergent being used but there is no scent at all in the facility.

DD gets eczema anytime she comes in contact with a fragrance. I have asked mouse keeping on her first visit....they assured me all are fragrance free. She didn't develop an eczema rash, so I believe them☺️. Have a great trip

I agree. No issues with Disney sheets. My oldest has had severe skin allergies since birth. We have to use All Free & Clear at home so it was something I was concerned about.

I suffer from bad skin allergies (I swear Lyral is going to be the death of me). I usually call and request to have an allergy cleaning of the room due to my allergies. I cannot have any scents or I may have issues. I have forgotten at times and not had issues with the detergents used on the sheets and towels. Maybe request the additional cleaning for the allergies with no scents. That is a guaranteed request.

I have crap skin and had a allergic reaction on my trip earlier this year. But I was silly and used the soap from the dispenser in the shower which was a body wash type one. Plus we washed clothes a few times using the little boxes you buy in laundry. I have a trip planned next year and will be smarter. I will take my sensitive soap for shower, laundry detergent in little bottles.. I'm also thinking of buying sleeping bag liner (like sea to summit ones) and wash it a few times before taking it to sleep in

I have crap skin and had a allergic reaction on my trip earlier this year. But I was silly and used the soap from the dispenser in the shower which was a body wash type one. Plus we washed clothes a few times using the little boxes you buy in laundry. I have a trip planned next year and will be smarter. I will take my sensitive soap for shower, laundry detergent in little bottles.. I'm also thinking of buying sleeping bag liner (like sea to summit ones) and wash it a few times before taking it to sleep in

Yeah, as much as I am tempted I do not use the H2O products at all. I bring my own shampoo/conditioner from home as well as my own bar of Dove Sensitive Skin soap. This year, I also brought along some All Free N Clear Laundry Detergent Pods.

What do you do in those situations? Pack your own sheets, towels? But it would be hard when flying to fit it in luggage?
Lots of good replies in this thread, but if you're really concerned, you could bring your regular detergent and wash the bedding and towels.

I usually travel with a sleeping bag liner/sleep sack and bring my own pillowcase. It packs up smaller than regular bedding so it does not take up too much extra room in my luggage. You can get them relatively cheaply on Amazon or at Bed Bath and Beyond.

I usually travel with a sleeping bag liner/sleep sack and bring my own pillowcase. It packs up smaller than regular bedding so it does not take up too much extra room in my luggage. You can get them relatively cheaply on Amazon or at Bed Bath and Beyond.
This is what I do for my daughter. She has severe skin allergies and eczema, and some hotels (not Disney) have sheets that are very problematic for her. She’s fine with however the sheets at Disney are laundered, but the sleep sack has made travel at other hotels much more comfortable for her. Ours packs very small and isn’t heavy at all. I think it’s made from lycocel. I’d highly recommend looking into these!

DD gets eczema anytime she comes in contact with a fragrance. I have asked mouse keeping on her first visit....they assured me all are fragrance free. She didn't develop an eczema rash, so I believe them☺. Have a great trip
I'm the same way! Anything with a fragrance gives me eczema. The sheets and towels didn't bother me but the hand soap and shampoo did. I bring my own soap now.

I'm the same way! Anything with a fragrance gives me eczema. The sheets and towels didn't bother me but the hand soap and shampoo did. I bring my own soap now.
I have to bring all of the baby Cetaphil products for her.....so much to pack!

Vanicream bar soap and CeraVe cream here. I was OK at Disney but my face was not happy at a hotel elsewhere. I think I am going to start bringing my own pillowcase when I travel.

After about 3 days I typically break out. I few trips ago, I bought soap with Calomine ( sp ) lotion at Basin. I wash my face daily with the soap and I greatly reduced the redness and break out.

Vanicream bar soap and CeraVe cream here. I was OK at Disney but my face was not happy at a hotel elsewhere. I think I am going to start bringing my own pillowcase when I travel.
just do not being plain white ones. don't ask why I say this

I have never had issue at Disney, but I have requested a deep clean in December for other reasons. However, I learned that I must have “allergy” linens at the hospital. In that case, I don’t think it was a scent, I think it was a harsher cleaning or bleach solution used to kill germs. After 2 days of complaints and extra Benedryl, my surgeon requested the linen change and I was fine within a couple hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter