Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

superme80

DIS Veteran
Ok this is going to be brief report of my time there today. First off let me say I am super biased. I worked at that park for 3 years and hated it.

Ok number 1) It will always be Marine World to me. Still not happy about the name change.
So now that is out of the way here is what I experienced today.

Parking is $20. I find it very expensive, but all theme park parking is over priced.
The restaurants were extremely short staffed. I went to the BBQ place and waited 30 mins for my meal. I would have left, but it was pulled pork.

Here is the good.
The cast members, or employees, were phenomenal! Normally when I go they are rude or at best disinterested. Whoever is in charge of training has really worked on them. I found them up beat cheerful, helpful, and apologetic when they were unable to provide service.
I have 3 small children so we went to 1 show and spent the majority of our time at Tava's Jungle and Looneytoons Seaport. There is a lot of kid rides. I found the lines moved very quickly and the cast members were quick to assist. We had a couple of meltdowns, and they were very nice about us removing our children before the ride started.

The food was pretty decent. DH and I ate lunch at the BBQ place, and my boys ate at the mexican restaurant. There was plenty of food, and I felt it was worth the price. If you purchase the red refillable cup, you can get refills for $.99 all day. Or you can pay an extra $5 and get free refills all day. I paid the extra $5 and I got the free refills. It was very hot, so it was worth the money. There is a little doughnut place right next to Looneytoon's Seaport. They were outstanding. My boys inhaled them.

The parking lot is quite a ways away, so there is a tram. To the park, the tram was very fast. We were on and at the park within 10 mins. On the way back it was very slow. It was faster for my DH and dad to get the cars, and pick my mom, and my kids, and myself up.

So there is the park in a nutshell. I find it very accommodating and enjoyable for young children. There are a lot of thrill attractions for the older children and adults. There were a lot of shows, but we missed most of them. In the past I have found the animal trainers very polite and always ready to answer questions. I was surprised with my enjoyable visit. I went with extremely low expectations, and was thrilled they were surpassed.

I haven't been there since they installed thrill rides and still had a water ski show. Heck, I've probably been to their original location in Redwood Shores more than Vallejo. Kind of sad that they no longer have an orca (yeah I know there will be detractors).

I haven't been there since they installed thrill rides and still had a water ski show. Heck, I've probably been to their original location in Redwood Shores more than Vallejo. Kind of sad that they no longer have an orca (yeah I know there will be detractors).
I agree. When I worked there the trainers were very good to and with the animals. If you were caught in the stadium before a show time, you were fired on the spot. If you tried to put anything into the tanks, even if it was one of the dolphin's toys, you were fired on the spot. They took the care of their animals very seriously. The orcas were well cared for. They closed the ski show. I was really bummed by that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter