Site won't remember my ID and password

That is probably because you had an earlier version installed and forgot about it. :)
If you clicked on my link, it brings you to the Beta site. Your goal is to install the Beta, not the regular version. Basically, you updated your old version and that is great.

For other users: When you install Chrome Beta, notice the little window I posted with the text circled in red. Honestly, it is very hard to see it and you can miss it easy, that is why I circle it. Before you press the button Start Google Chrome, take your time and find the circled text. :)

From now on, you will not have anymore any login issues, not to mention that you will experience faster browsing, and enhanced web experience and better protection against hacked sites.
Congrats on deciding to go into right direction.

As with any new product, it takes a little time to get used. Once you discover how useful Chrome is, you will ask yourself why you did not started using it earlier. :)

This is frustrating me too! I had the issue but the cookie clearing thing fixed mine and now I can't recreate it no matter what I do.
Try this
Log out
clear cookies
log back in
If it still doesn't work could you post your
Operating system (windows xp, vista, windows7, snow lepoard etc)
Browser (Internet explorer 7 or 8, Safari, Opera etc)

Webmaster Alex, I am running on Vista and I believe Internet Explorer 7. My husband and myself are NOT computer savy people so trying to download chrome makes me totally nervous.

Any other ideas?

Webmaster Alex, I am running on Vista and I believe Internet Explorer 7. My husband and myself are NOT computer savy people so trying to download chrome makes me totally nervous.

Any other ideas?

I agree. I did follow the link and installed Chrome Beta (as recommended) but freaked out when I couldn't get to my favorites normally. And it took away my weather channel toolbar (which I love). And I didn't know where everything is. I'm not big on change. Logging in all the time is a hassle. Having to learn a new system is far more stressful! I then went and uninstalled it. Sorry.

I was one of the original posters having problems. Clearing my cookies didn't help. But, I started to notice other little things that seemed odd about the behavior of my desktop.

So, on a hunch, I ran a full scan using all three of my protection programs. It uncovered a couple bits of malware an a virus. Once those were quarantined and eliminated, I'm back to normal and haven't had any issues for a week.

Any other ideas?

My mom is 75, I'm 40. I emailed her the link to Chrome and told her to open the program and play with the options at her own pace, she cannot break anything on it, no matter what she tries. At first, she was not comfortable and she went back to Internet Explorer. But every day she played with Chrome and started to learn it on her way. Now, she uses Chrome on a regular basis and it amazes me how well she does it.

Chrome is actually a lot easier to use then Internet Explorer. You just have to take your time to get used to it. If my mom did it, you can do it also. :)

Is like getting a new slow cooker or TV. It has a million options, so you have to read the manual and learn about it. There is nothing wrong with it and should not make you nervous. You cannot break it by playing with its remote.

There are advantages with other browsers. BUT a site should work with IE.

edited to add going to the control panel, clicking on the java icon and clearing the cache seems to have solved it.

Clearing the java cache did not work for me. This is really annoying. What changed here at DIS that caused this? Any tests run recently? Any updates? I know that when things go wrong with my company's site, it invariably gets blamed on the user or their system, only to discover later that something "broke" during an update that wasn't supposed to cause any problem. I'm not about to clear all my cookies and try running a different browser, just to fix one web forum. I'd sooner give up on this place, if the problem can't be identified and corrected.

Clearing the java cache did not work for me. This is really annoying. What changed here at DIS that caused this? Any tests run recently? Any updates? I know that when things go wrong with my company's site, it invariably gets blamed on the user or their system, only to discover later that something "broke" during an update that wasn't supposed to cause any problem. I'm not about to clear all my cookies and try running a different browser, just to fix one web forum. I'd sooner give up on this place, if the problem can't be identified and corrected.

I know....It's sad!:confused3

Since this is only happening to me at work, I figure I should complain. I suppose I'll get more work done. :sad2:

I keep trying things and nothing seems to work for long, I've cleaned out my cookies so often there aren't any crumbs left.

The problem is that we have people with all combinations of operating systems and browsers where it works fine. We also have a lot of people who had the issue and fixed it by clearing cookies (myself included).
Not being able to stay logged in is a cookie problem 99 percent of the time. Since we can't control the cookies on your machine, which is a good thing, it's a bit tough to diagnose. Other boards have had this issue with the upgrade but nobody has come up with a fix where I can replace a file or change a setting and clear it for everyone.

The problem is that we have people with all combinations of operating systems and browsers where it works fine. We also have a lot of people who had the issue and fixed it by clearing cookies (myself included).
Not being able to stay logged in is a cookie problem 99 percent of the time. Since we can't control the cookies on your machine, which is a good thing, it's a bit tough to diagnose. Other boards have had this issue with the upgrade but nobody has come up with a fix where I can replace a file or change a setting and clear it for everyone.
Alex, I am a self-admitted technodope but to me it's strange that it started happening all of a sudden. I mean it just started. So what event happened that now all of a sudden it's occurring. Am I thinking right or is it just a coincindence? :confused3

No, it all started the morning after the upgrade a couple weeks ago (I could look up the date if it makes a difference). DIS was down for a couple hours upgrading and the next morning, I had to log in on both my phone and computer for the first time in ages. Since then I've stayed logged in on the iphone, but have to log in every few minutes on the computer. Alex - I know you were asking for what system people were on and I was seeing a definite trent with the IE7/8 and Vista. Is anyone having this trouble NOT running one of those?

I've been on the site for over a decade and this is the first time with the trouble, "coincidentally" after an upgrade and "coincidentally" with many other people. I refuse to believe it's just my cookies.

It did start after an upgrade.
During this upgrade they increased the security of the software against hackers
(geek translation- they increased the salt size for the encryption)
Basically what it did was invalidate all old cookies
Unfortunately some folks have cookies stuck on their machine, possibly corrupt so it's not being replaced properly.
This can happen for a million different reasons. I did make a change about an hour ago that might force your machine to create a new cookie but the problem here is I have no way to reach into your machine and rip out the old cookie.

Alex - thanks for putting it into words some of us non-geeks can understand! I have no doubt it's something on my computer (or in our specific OS or whatever) and certainly have no idea of how to fix it. I tried the suggestion of running a scan and restarting and clearing cookies and all the obvious things, but I also don't know how to rip out those old cookies either! :confused3

It did start after an upgrade.
During this upgrade they increased the security of the software against hackers
(geek translation- they increased the salt size for the encryption)
Basically what it did was invalidate all old cookies
Unfortunately some folks have cookies stuck on their machine, possibly corrupt so it's not being replaced properly.
This can happen for a million different reasons. I did make a change about an hour ago that might force your machine to create a new cookie but the problem here is I have no way to reach into your machine and rip out the old cookie.

I appreciate you trying to fix this. It must be very frustrating trying to figure this out.
If nothing else I will remember my password :rotfl:

Hmmm...that makes sense. When I cleared my cookies, I still had the problem. But, when I ran a full scan using my anti-malware software, it picked up a whole bunch of stuff. I went back and checked the log and it looks like there were several corupt cookies and registry items in there. Once quarantined and removed, I haven't had the problem reoccur.

Maybe the answer here is to run a full scan on your computers? BTW - my normal everyday anti-virus software didn' find any problems. It took a "deep cleaning" to fix it.

I manually deleted 4 disboard cookies. I'll let you know if it worked. I don't want to get rid of all my cookies.

I'll update my post after I determine if the fix is lasting. I anyone else wants to try what I did
Tools--Internet Options--Browsing History--settings---view files use big search toolbar near top---search for disboards Delete each item one by one.

Doing a full scan won't hurt but everyone having a problem doesn't have an issue with malware.

Another thought I use Avira AV. It recently had flagged some items as possible threats. Sometimes a false positive can cause problems probably not in this case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter