Site layouts/Dimensions

jwo1976

Mouseketeer
Hello all! We have camped several times now at the fort. But this upcoming trip (12/27-1/3) we have some friends joining us. We have a 34 ish foot travel trailer but they will be in a tent. We have a premium site booked. Does anyone have any pics or copies of the book they have up front that shows the layout and dimensions for the sites? I know fort wilderness princess has many pics but they are from the roan and hard to tell how the layout is. Also what ar ethe specific rules regarding a tent with a travel trailer?

You can pitch a tent on the same site as an RV/travel trailer.

I wish I had a copy of that book they have at the Outpost, that would be awesome.

That site also lists the widths and lengths for each site along with a layout of the entire loop, although I can't vouch for the accuracy on all the site dimensions. We've always found the pics useful, what specifically are you looking for? We usually have a tent along with our trailer, I dont think there are many rules, except the tent shouldn't be off the back of the pad. Like setting it up in the dirt behind the pad in the shared space wouldn't be allowed (although I've seen it done)

ETA: yes, that book would be awesome to have

There are specific rules in this case.

In the case of a trailer, you are allowed ONE (1) tent also. (not that the rules are followed or enforced). So you're fine.

The official Disney website, in its description of the Premium campsites, lists the dimensions ("on a concrete pad") of UP TO 18'x60'. (I call phrases like "up to", "possibly", "may be" by a clear term: WEASEL WORDS).

You are also going during the busiest time of the year (between Christmas and New Years) when the campground is normally completely booked. Therefore, you will be placed in a site that "most likely" (another pair of weasel words) has a guest departing the morning that you are arriving. So you don't have your pick of all Premium sites. You can only be assigned (naturally) whatever is available on check-in day.

Info in "The Book" (which does exist) has been on the web and apps in various states of having info updated, operating systems updated, etc. But since you won't know your site number until it is READY for you to set up, site specific data is useless IMO.

The best thing you can do is a 2-step process:

1. Call the WDW Reservation line and ask that a note be added to your reservation stating that you will also have a tent of "X-by-Y" dimensions. "The Book" has information for each Premium site if a tent has space to set up adjacent to the concrete (or if bushes, trees, utilities block a tent) on the dirt/pine needles.

2. Arrive as early as you can at the Fort, go into the lobby and check-in in person (or use the drive thru booths (don't use Online early checkin) and talk to the CM in person to reiterate your need for a Premium site that can also support a tent. The CM may be able to "sprinkle some pixie dust" to make it work. Example: you and me both arrive on the same day with a Premium reservation. The system randomly assigns me a Premium site that HAS space for a tent and a site for you that DOES NOT. As long as I/me haven't checked in yet and you arrive first, the CM can swap you to my site and me to yours and I/me, arriving later, will never know the swap occurred. But if I/me or others have checked in before you, the option to swap with us is naturally gone since we now occupy the site.

As a final word, I am an avid tent camper in all shapes and sizes. At the Fort I normally camp in my trailer but I am embarrassed to admit how MANY different tents I have. Tents where I sleep on the ground (that normally have stakes in the ground), canvas wall tents with a self-supporting standing frame used with cots, or some mix. Free standing tents (no stakes required) if that's what your friends have can stand on the concrete (tuck a ground cloth under the edges of the tent) give you leeway to use the concrete pad so any Premium site should work; but if they have a tent that needs to be staked out in dirt, then your choices become limited. You can only be assigned a site that is available that arrival day - and of all the sites available on arrival day, only some might be able to handled a staked down tent easily.

CM's do review the notes on campsite reservations before arrival day so give them enough info to help them do what you ask and they are super about trying to make it happen. I often add a note requesting a certain loop and I've usually gotten it and the few times I didn't, I drove around my requested loop on the way to my assigned loop and, sure enough, every site was already taken in my requested loop. So I believe the CM's do try.

Bama Ed

We have called and added notes to our reservation. And we know nothing is guaranteed. BUt just want to be armed with information so we can make requests when we actually get there and see what is open. Last year when we arrived our assigned site wasn't ready but we got our golf cart and rode around and made a list of sites we liked in our given category and then went back up front. They were able to accommodate our request, actually the first one we liked. We wrote down several as options. Just hoping to have info so when we drive into the booth we can ask.
We're pretty flexible and will plan contingencies for securing their tent. Largely self supporting but would be nice to at least stake the corners. The rain fly is supported off the tent frame so that should be good.

We usually have a tent that is supposed to be staked, in the back in a premium site, behind the trailer. We use bean bag type dive weights on the inside corners, stake one side in the dirt off the back pad and tie a line from the front of the tent to the RV ladder :-)

I have used this web site to check various loops and sites that I may fit on (42ft + toad). If you scroll down on the page, it lists each loop and has a grid with site legth, dificulty and also has a photo. This may be helpful to go through the Premium loops to get an idea which sites may work. Many of the photos have RVs on the site, but you can get an idea if t might work. People will arrive with a list of site numbers and do what Ed suggested, seeing what may be available.

https://wildernessprincess.net/loop-site-details/

Here's an example on the website.

1703027060278.png

Site 1109

1703027122168.png
The other option is Google Street View. It appears all the Fort loops are documented now. Here is the 1100 loop. 1120 (the empty site on the left) is the one I was in for the DIS Meet a few years ago.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.402...kmbQxZIsW35kvonQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

j

Last edited:

I have used Ft. Wilderness Sites ap. It has dimensions, pictures, and general descriptions. It is a free ap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter