Sister Wives

Unless she loses that in all of this!

I still don't get it either. If the reason was impending financial issues, why move to an area with a higher COL and rent 3 such expensive homes? I just can't make any of it make sense.
Like one of the grown/married daughter's said "There has to be a reason"

I just can't wrap my head around their move from Vegas to Flagstaff. And in the Tell All show they are suddenly all in love with Flagstaff when months ago most wives were freaking out. And yeah, the teens looked real happy on the couches. :(

I sort of get the why they moved. We left a few years ago after decades living there. We were children when we moved there. Met each other, had our kids, bought a house in the far NW part of town (saw Sister Wives very often out and about), friends and family, etc. there. DH was getting tired of the work demands, being denied work promotions, the weather, the huge uptick of home burglaries. I was getting tired of the schools, traffic, no work/life balance, & Vegas has indeed changed. We lived there before the population hit 1 million, Green Valley Ranch, Summerlin, & the 215 fwy didn't exist. It use to take 25 minutes to go from 95/Horse (now Skye Canyon) to Sunset, now it's a 45-90 minutes one way or you leave extra early or extra late to dodge the traffic.

A promotion in another State that is expensive compared to NV for DH came up and we said what the heck. Let's go for it. He got it. Then he got another promotion where we relocated again within our new home State and we're in love. Scared as heck leaving everything we knew before all this went down. Questioned how are our teens going to handle leaving all that they know behind. Yet now that it is all said and done, it's one of the best decisions we've ever made. We've done more living out of State then we ever did living in Vegas. Plus living away from Vegas gives us a reason to vacation there.

So I'm thinking for them, it's work (the show) and Vegas has changed.

I sort of get the why they moved. We left a few years ago after decades living there. We were children when we moved there. Met each other, had our kids, bought a house in the far NW part of town (saw Sister Wives very often out and about), friends and family, etc. there. DH was getting tired of the work demands, being denied work promotions, the weather, the huge uptick of home burglaries. I was getting tired of the schools, traffic, no work/life balance, & Vegas has indeed changed. We lived there before the population hit 1 million, Green Valley Ranch, Summerlin, & the 215 fwy didn't exist. It use to take 25 minutes to go from 95/Horse (now Skye Canyon) to Sunset, now it's a 45-90 minutes one way or you leave extra early or extra late to dodge the traffic.

A promotion in another State that is expensive compared to NV for DH came up and we said what the heck. Let's go for it. He got it. Then he got another promotion where we relocated again within our new home State and we're in love. Scared as heck leaving everything we knew before all this went down. Questioned how are our teens going to handle leaving all that they know behind. Yet now that it is all said and done, it's one of the best decisions we've ever made. We've done more living out of State then we ever did living in Vegas. Plus living away from Vegas gives us a reason to vacation there.

That's entirely possible. If so though, they did a terrible job of storytelling in the show since there hasn't been a hint of that before now. They even managed to hide those feelings from the adult kids who seem just as perplexed as the rest of us.

Yeah, but you had a plan. They clearly did not. It struck me as a whim on Kody’s part. No jobs, no homes and BIG mortgages with balloon payments coming due. To grab a shovel and dig yourself even deeper by buying essentially swamp land in a higher COL of area, renting obscenely large homes that cost thousands a month all while ripping your kids out of school (AGAIN) where by all accounts they were doing excellent is about way more than having a change of heart about Vegas IMO. Let’s not forget he’s done this multiple times over the years. Even his grown kids and wives (except Robyn burying her head in the sand about it) don’t believe this will be their forever home.

That's entirely possible. If so though, they did a terrible job of storytelling in the show since there hasn't been a hint of that before now. They even managed to hide those feelings from the adult kids who seem just as perplexed as the rest of us.

Agree. Probably shock value for ratings. They also seem they were extremely limited on episodes as well. Maybe the move was a last ditch effort on their part to save their show.

Yeah, but you had a plan. They clearly did not. It struck me as a whim on Kody’s part. No jobs, no homes and BIG mortgages with balloon payments coming due. To grab a shovel and dig yourself even deeper by buying essentially swamp land in a higher COL of area, renting obscenely large homes that cost thousands a month all while ripping your kids out of school (AGAIN) where by all accounts they were doing excellent is about way more than having a change of heart about Vegas IMO. Let’s not forget he’s done this multiple times over the years. Even his grown kids and wives (except Robyn burying her head in the sand about it) don’t believe this will be their forever home.

We sort of had a plan. We left with suitcases. Had the job, yet no home. Talk about stress. Never doing that again. Found a home. DH flew back for the movers and to ship his car. We questioned ourselves of what the heck did we do. We sold a house that barely had a mortgage left in Vegas and moved to a State where it’s double to triple what we paid for our home in Vegas. We’re still currently renting.

Yet it all happened so fast for us, our family and friends were shocked. They didn’t understand why. Where Kody and Sister wives the show right now is their main job and their bread and butter. So with their creative financing loans coming due and the possibility of losing their bread and butter, makes sense for them to move for the show to go on aka keep their jobs.

I'm kind of surprised Janelle went along with this financial sh*t show, I thought she was the "financially responsible" one of the bunch. She had to know this was going to be a huge financial problem.

I'm kind of surprised Janelle went along with this financial sh*t show, I thought she was the "financially responsible" one of the bunch. She had to know this was going to be a huge financial problem.
She said she knew it was when they went to go see the land. I think he can easily manipulate them one on one which is why he took each of them to AZ separately.

I wonder what they are thinking with the sizes of these houses too. Aren’t 6/9 kids left at home high schoolers? So they’ll likely all be out of the house in 4/5 years and down to one kid for Christine and 2 for Robyn at home? Wouldn’t one big house make so much more sense and just push through the big batch of graduates?

Also gobsmacked at the monthly COL for them.

But he screamed that he'll be 70 when his youngest graduates high school. How would he ever make it being older than 70 when the next one graduates high school?

not sure but i think it's somewhat common w/in their faith for the adult children to financially support the parents in the later years of their lives. mary is doing this with her mom (she said mom would live at the b&b but wasn't capable of running the place) and i seem to remember one of the other wive's mom living with them for an extended period of time.

not sure but i think it's somewhat common w/in their faith for the adult children to financially support the parents in the later years of their lives. mary is doing this with her mom (she said mom would live at the b&b but wasn't capable of running the place) and i seem to remember one of the other wive's mom living with them for an extended period of time.

He's not really hedging those bets of kids taking care of him in his old age by moving them every few years and especially in high school or when he uproots and moves away from adult children who deliberately lived in the area to be near family.

This move seemed to have happened in almost panic mode like when they left Utah. Who moves like that when nobody is chasing them? They all looked so unprepared. So much for their realtor telling them their houses would sell within a couple days. This family sure doesn't seem to do anything the smart way. They sure didn't seem to have any extra money sitting around when Meri was looking for help getting her mortgage on the Inn. How on earth are they all paying their bills when nobody seems to have a real paycheck besides TLC?

This move seemed to have happened in almost panic mode like when they left Utah. Who moves like that when nobody is chasing them? They all looked so unprepared. So much for their realtor telling them their houses would sell within a couple days. This family sure doesn't seem to do anything the smart way. They sure didn't seem to have any extra money sitting around when Meri was looking for help getting her mortgage on the Inn. How on earth are they all paying their bills when nobody seems to have a real paycheck besides TLC?

They’re not keeping up with their bills. It’s been reported that on 2 parcels of land in Flagstaff, AZ they haven’t paid their land taxes totaling a little over $4K.

I’m guessing they way overpriced those houses to try and compensate for what was coming due on them. Houses DO sell within a couple of days here but people aren’t going to pay ridiculous prices for them when they can get the one next door.

And I absolutely think they were running. The whole thing doesn’t make sense the way they did it. The house of cards was coming down. If they stood to lose those houses the smart thing to do would have been to move everyone into the two biggest and price the other two to sell ASAP. Give themselves some breathing room and come up with a viable plan. But no, no, wives need ginormous houses for themselves and god forbid any of the kids should have to share rooms.

:scratchin I’ve wondered how FLDS (or whatever they are) differs from orthodox Christianity. Is being honest and upright in one’s financial dealings not a “thing”?

:scratchin I’ve wondered how FLDS (or whatever they are) differs from orthodox Christianity. Is being honest and upright in one’s financial dealings not a “thing”?

They practice their own version of UAB, United Apostolic Brethren. I think all legit churches profess to be honest and upright, but that doesn't mean their members are perfect.

They practice their own version of UAB, United Apostolic Brethren. I think all legit churches profess to be honest and upright, but that doesn't mean their members are perfect.
Oh I certainly understand this - I’m far from perfect myself. But if I was the “national poster family” for a certain sect and held myself up to constant scrutiny, I think it would motivate my conduct in a certain direction - KWIM?

Some people learn from past financial mistakes and go on to make better choices. From what is portrayed on TV, it doesn’t seem like the Brown family has learned from their previous bankruptcy. They don’t seem to live within their means.

However, I am impressed with the maturity of their older kids. The Browns must have done something right parenting their kids because they seem mature and well spoken, much more than their parents actually.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!