• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sinus Infections at WDW?

mrsapalm

<font color=FF0099>WDWWDS COO & Senior Exec. VP<fo
I am a newbie here, so hello to everyone! I have a health-related question and would appreciate any advice...
I always get a sinus infection when I vacation at both DL and WDW. I have gone to WDW when it was hot outside, so all of the buildings are nice and frosty. I went to DL when it was cool/chilly and the buildings were warmed up on the inside. I have heard that the drastic temperature changes trigger these sinus infections. I take a sinus medication in advance to ward off any impending yuck, but it always happens without fail and I end up spending the rest of my trip sick and miserable. Help!!! Does this happen to anyone else? What should I take? (yes, I am always willing to risk extreme sickness to visit The Mouse-crazy, huh?)

-Mrsapalm
9/00 Honeymoon Grand Floridian
5/01 Disneyland Hotel
7/01 WDW Contemporary
11/01 Paradise Pier

We go to see the mouse every year and for the last three without fail my son get's an ear infecton. I've gotten smarter and the last two years we go see the pediatrician before we go and he gives me an antibiotic before we leave. Moms always know best and we know when our kids are getting sick. Knock on wood the last two years we have warded off serious illness before it took hold and ruined our vacation.

I always get sick on vacation. Starts with a cold, turns into a sinus infection. One trip, after returning, I was sick for 2 months, sinus/throat/ear infection, and my hearing still has not returned to what it was. I now start taking antibiotics a couple days before and take them through the whole trip and a few days when I return. I also drink tons of orange juice and other fluids. If I feel something coming on, I add some cold/sinus medicine (non-drowsy of course). Sounds drastic, but worth it. Last 3 trips doing this, haven't gotten sick (except a minor cold one week after returning from one trip). Good luck!!

Is it possible you are allergic to something at WDW? I ask, because I have suffered for all of my adult life with chronic sinus infections. Finally, after years of misery, I was diagnosed with severe allergies. Armed with my prescription antihistamines, I braved WDW this past Feb. For the first time, I didn't suffer while I was there, nor did I come home sick. Turns out I'm allergic to summer weeds, which are in season pretty much year round in FL.

Good luck. Perhaps a call to your MD might lend other suggestions as well.

Are you flying or driving? A lot of people can experience sinus trouble because of the recycled air and air pressure changes in the cabins (the same with ear infections). I always take sudafed before and during flights. Also drink tons of water - It helps to flush out all the nasties and keep your sinuses moist.

If you are driving, there is a good chance you are allergic to something that grows in FL, and not where you live (or grows better). I've suffered with sinus problems ever since we moved to the midwest, but not when I lived in PA. Go figure?

Since you know it happens, I think it's great you have a doctor willing to help you out (not all will). Good luck and Good health to you this trip!

Since I am sitting at home today with the beginnings of just another sinus infection due to the lovely changes in our weather up here - I can relate. This year has been the worst. And I have problems in hotels - because they are so dry and then going in and out of air conditioning. Temperature changes definitely set mine off - on top of having allergies. I wish there was some miracle cure or prevention because it takes the fun out the vacation. I always take a decongestant before going on a plane. And saline gel for my nose - though I was told also to try bacitracin on the plane.

I too, have chronic sinusitus, and get frequent sinus infections. I'd gotten sick on almost all vacations (a few days into vacation) for many years.

Recently, I've done a couple of thigns that seem to have helped me.

1. At least two weeks before going on vacation, I start taking a zinc supplement in addition to my multi vitamin.

2. One the plane, I use a Sharper Image person ionic breeze; it provides not only purified air (to help keep you from breathing the germs from other people), but I also has a small filter to put water, so you can breath humidified air. I got mine through the Sharper Image auction area, and paid less than 1/2 the regular price .

3. I do nasal flushes on a regular basis. I've just ordered a kit that has a bottle, premeasured saline solution; you just fill up the bottle with warm water, and flush away (do this in the shower where it's less messy!).

Steps 1 and 2 have kept me from getting sick on our last 5 vacations in the last two or three years.

None of these will help if you are actually allergic to something in FL, but they may help if you're not.

I also carry a small bottle of non-water cleanser - use it on my hands whenever I'll be touching my face or nose, or eating. Again, helps keeps the germs away from you.

Hope these suggestions help for your next trip!

I used to live in Indiana and moved to Tennessee - I had sinus surgery the spring before we moved, and don't have a problem with my allergies or sinuses at all - except when I go home to visit. My Dr. told me the drastic change in temps is what causes it - and the fact that everything is different - the air, pollen, mold etc. Basically, even if I take loads of medicine, I still end up with one. The only time I didn't was just a few weeks ago. I had to go home for a funeral, came back, and had a sinus infection. I was put on antibiotics (as usual) for 10 days, and when I went back home for a scheduled visit just 1 week later, I never got sick. This was only because I had antibiotics in my system.

If anyone learns of anything to do, PLEASE let me know too!! They are terrible, and make you feel like your head will explode, not to mention that blowing your nose is SO out of the question - atleast with me it is. :eek:

Chronic sinusitis here, too. Jeleebeene, moving from the frozen north here to Tennessee is something dh & I have discussed, just to get away from the radical weather swings we have! I'm glad to know it's helped you!

Two things that seem to have helped me avoid infections (suggested by my doctor) are taking Vitamin C with rose hips (I buy them in capsule form at the health food store) and a prescription for Flonase nasal spray. If I have sinus junk coming on, I use the Flonase (once a day) and it really seems to beat down the infection before it gets to the point of needing antibiotics.

That's what works for me...YMMV. ;)

Chronic Sinusitis,Polyposis,Severe Mixed SleepApnea(kept complaining of all the symtoms and it took passing out to get the diagnostic tests),2surgeries in 2001,(trying to ward off additional surgery) survive on a CPAP breathing machine and get sick of sucking so much salt water to keep the sinuses moist from our dry air.:( I do much better in the humid air and have a heated humidifier on the CPAP. There is more pollen in our desert air than there is back East, at most times of the year.(olive trees,oleander,mulberry are the worst).Spending a lot more time in FL now.
1. Everyone is different but one word of caution if you have full sinus/ear block,you will know it.Won't need to be in the air to tell.It is extreme pain like you never felt. DO NOT FLY IF YOU CAN HELP IT.DO NOT BLOW OUT HARD HOLDING YOUR NOSE.YOU WILL RUPTURE AN EARDRUM.(sorry to shout)
2. Another vote for Flonase. It is a decongestant type spray that works well for me It does not have a rebound effect.Most decongestants do and end up making your condition worse in the longrun.
3. I would suggest like some of the other posters did, to have allergy testing.Not fun,but a lot of peoples problems are caused by an obscure allergy.Definitely have the testing first before considering having any type of sinus surgery.I was hoping it was the source of thy problems but no such luck.Its bad when you hope for an allergy.;) Mike

Thanks to everyone for helping me out. I got some really great advice from you guys so I will be taking my next trip (October 2002) fully prepared. You guys rock!!

-MrsAPalm

9/00 Grand Floridian Honeymoon
5/01 Disneyland Hotel
7/01 Contemporary
11/01 Paradise Pier:sunny:

I'm glad you brought this up. I've thought about bringing this up for awhile because I ALWAYS get sick at WDW. I do have chronic allergies and frequent sinus infections, so that doesn't help things. But there are SO many people at WDW, and with crowds like that, you're bound to encounter lots of germs. I've gotten Strep there a couple of times, and almost alway an upper-respiratory infection. My kids always get sick there, too. It really aggravates me because it puts a damper on things. I'll have to talk to my Pediatrician next time we go and see if I can get some pre-emptive antibiotics. I think my own doctor will be cool about giving me something because she knows how susceptible I am to getting sick.

I too am I sufferer! The Dr. told me that this is what you need to do... because I have had surgery for cronic infections. Because the air is recycled on the plane the person sick in 24c will give you his air in 3d gross if you think about it, and any and all germs rotate through. That combo , with the cabin pressure breeds illness. sooo.
1. Take an antihisitme like dimetapp or benydrl about 30 min prior to your flight.
2. Take a shot of Afrin in both nostrils. This helps keep them open during the flight.
3. Swab the inside of your nose with a Q-tip of Vaseline (just a little) this helps lubricate the nostrils, that is how infection takes hold, small cracks in the nasal lining and the bacteria get in.
4. Drink plenty of water, before and after the flight.
5. When you get settled in the hotel, before bed,rinse your sinius with warm water and salt. It sounds gross , the Dr made me do it. But it take out a
all the junk and impurities. A bowl of water and a teaspoon of salt. Snuffle it up like an elephant and blow it out into the sink, or shower.
If you do all these things you can almost promise yourself a good NOSE vacation.

I also bring along a pack of clorax disenfectig wipes so when I check in the hotel I wipe down doorknobs, light swithes, TELEPHONES and faucets. Those are all places germies love and NEVER get cleaned by houskeeping! Have a healthy vacation!

On the way in i purchase a can of Lysol to spray the bathroom and the bedroom. I really don't know how much it helps but knock on wood we haven't had a major illness on vacation. Now that i made mention of this someone will probably get sick on vacation in August. Oh no!

OoughtOh you jinxed it now.;) Don't even want to think about all the germs out there.IMHOIf you are going to get it, you are going to get it.:( But every little bit of prevention helps to increase the odds that you don't get ill. Let us hopefully leave the germs at home and breeze through a wonderful stay

Does anyone know of a good sinus forum? Here is one I belong to for sleep apnea/sleep problems if anyone has that condition as well: http://www.sleepnet.com/apnea/apneainf.html
Thanks Mike

For those of you that always get sick at WDW: Do you fly?

Airports are one of the worst breeding grounds for infections and germs. Add to that recycled air in the planes, and close confined seating, especially on long flights, and you have perfect conditions for spreading germs. And, if you are a smoker, you are more likely to become ill.

Double up on the Vit C, Echinachea, and bacterial wipes for your hands. :):D:)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Here's another vote for Flonase. I used to have chonic sinusitis and it is really misrable. I was allergic to my house. I moved and started using Flonase on a regular basis and it is as if I have no allergies. You do not get that awful feeling that you get when you take other allergy medicine. You do have to use it for a while (a week or two) before it starts to work so many people don't want to do it.

I do wonder if is not the hotel rooms or FL, but the flying. We usually drive to FL (my DH does not like to fly) and I don't usually get sick but when I flew in Nov. I felt terrible the first two days. I am convinced that it was the plane, it drive my crazy to be on a plane and hear some kid cough and sneeze through the whole flight. I am just convinced that I am going to get what they have. I know I am crazy.

Sharbear

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter