Single Rider Line Complaint DLP

cattywampus

DIS Veteran
We visited DLP on Christmas Day and I had a major complaint about the way the CMs use single rider on Ratatouille.

First though, let me say that in think SR is a good development. Though I rarely use it, I have seen it action for many years in Anaheim and Florida. Since we are frequently an odd number of riders and I volunteer to “ride alone” I have often ridden with SRs and had no complaints.

Here is my issue: I think SR is great if there are separate seats. I had a SR join me on Crush’s Coaster, Flight Force, and many other attractions with actual seats. I’ve had almost every conceivable SR configuration in Anaheim.

I do not agree with adding a single rider to a vehicle without separate seats, particularly if they are the third rider. It might be ok to add a SR to an unseparated bench if there is only one rider, but even then, I wouldn’t want a stranger sliding onto me during Thunder Mountain.

We had four for Ratatouille and the CM put us on two separate rows. Ok, that is logical but then she added single riders to both rows for a total of three. No thank you. That is way too cramped and call me a prude, but I don’t want thigh to thigh contact with a stranger on a cramped ride vehicle. I left the attraction and did not ride, which was likely my only chance unless it is added to Anaheim. It left a very bad taste in my mouth for the rest of the day.

I was legitimately concerned they would try and cram a third (SR) into our Haunted Mansion doombuggy — luckily, they did not.

I don’t see myself returning to DLP.

Having ridden Remy as both someone in the normal queue who had a single rider added alongside to our party and also then using the single rider line myself at a later date, I don't think I ever found that the seat was cramped with three people in it and I'm not exactly the smallest person in the world. But I guess your mileage may vary.

And there was no possibility of a person being added to your party on Haunted Mansion because that does not have a single rider line.

Did both of you (from your party) leave? Why not switch seats with the other person from your party in that row?

I ride public transit where you sit beside people without separate seats and find the single-rider add-ons no closer than that (often further separated than I am on the bus/MRT). But, totally your choice to decide not to ride it.

Wondering if this is the reason why there is no single rider line in WDW for Ratatuille?
I find that you can get more "intimate" with strangers in the bus or monorail ride at night after fireworks to go back to the resort at WDW. Ratatuille is not a big deal for me, especially because efficiency means a higher number of people can enjoy the attraction.

Having ridden Remy as both someone in the normal queue who had a single rider added alongside to our party and also then using the single rider line myself at a later date, I don't think I ever found that the seat was cramped with three people in it and I'm not exactly the smallest person in the world. But I guess your mileage may vary.

And there was no possibility of a person being added to your party on Haunted Mansion because that does not have a single rider line.
There was no way to know how cramped it would actually be but looking at the ride vehicle, it seemed cramped and it wasn’t worth the risk of being miserable for the length of the ride.

Did both of you (from your party) leave? Why not switch seats with the other person from your party in that row?

I ride public transit where you sit beside people without separate seats and find the single-rider add-ons no closer than that (often further separated than I am on the bus/MRT). But, totally your choice to decide not to ride it.
My seat mate was my 16 yo nephew and I wasn’t going to make him ride with strangers. When I decided not to ride, he moved up with his parents.

I guess I think public transit is a necessity (which coming from California I don’t really experience) vs paying a lot of money for something fun that is spoiled.

Last edited:

Wondering if this is the reason why there is no single rider line in WDW for Ratatuille?
I find that you can get more "intimate" with strangers in the bus or monorail ride at night after fireworks to go back to the resort at WDW. Ratatuille is not a big deal for me, especially because efficiency means a higher number of people can enjoy the attraction.
At some point, cramming more people on for efficiency creates a negative experience. Thinking of my example of Big Thunder, it’s not ok with me to have a stranger thrown against me due to centrifugal force.

Maybe my threshold is lower than others but my standard is a separate seat and I’m good with SR all day long.

After spending a lifetime at Disney (and a lot of dollars), these types of experiences are a turnoff and make me consider whether the value is there for me in the future.

I don’t want thigh to thigh contact with a stranger on a cramped ride vehicle.
How is it any different than Test Track for example? The seats don't really prevent touching especially when you hit the curve going more than 60mph.

Or boat rides like Navi, Pirates, it's a small world, etc where they will add additional members to a row with you and sometimes that is just a single person (or one person from a larger party). Or Safari in AK?

I am with you on the complaint but would put it more as if there wasn't actual room for an additional party or there wasn't a true need (as in the line was not super long). I don't think single rider is the problem. You're not really guaranteed your own row in any attraction. The CMs have to account for load restrictions, practicality (such as size of guests in the ride vehicle) and more but that doesn't mean you get your own row just because an attraction doesn't have Single Rider.

We had 2 additional people last year crammed into our Safari truck at AK in the first row and we found out later on from our CM friend (who was our driver) the person loading should not have done that. It was very cramped and no room to move your elbows even. Had we known that was not supposed to happen we would have spoken up but the CM loading the trucks also didn't stick around for us to say something. And they attempted to add additional members to our row on Navi that would have made for a very unpleasant experience.

How is it any different than Test Track for example? The seats don't really prevent touching especially when you hit the curve going more than 60mph.

Or boat rides like Navi, Pirates, it's a small world, etc where they will add additional members to a row with you and sometimes that is just a single person (or one person from a larger party). Or Safari in AK?

I am with you on the complaint but would put it more as if there wasn't actual room for an additional party or there wasn't a true need (as in the line was not super long). I don't think single rider is the problem. You're not really guaranteed your own row in any attraction. The CMs have to account for load restrictions, practicality (such as size of guests in the ride vehicle) and more but that doesn't mean you get your own row just because an attraction doesn't have Single Rider.

We had 2 additional people last year crammed into our Safari truck at AK in the first row and we found out later on from our CM friend (who was our driver) the person loading should not have done that. It was very cramped and no room to move your elbows even. Had we known that was not supposed to happen we would have spoken up but the CM loading the trucks also didn't stick around for us to say something. And they attempted to add additional members to our row on Navi that would have made for a very unpleasant experience.
I think you hit the nail on the head that the CMs don’t always use good judgement.

WDW is not my home park, so while I have visited WDW, I can’t comment on some of your specific examples. I think Test Track is the same vehicle as Radiator Springs Racers in Anaheim (my home park) which I have ridden many times with a third SR added. It’s a little cramped but there is a separation in the seat and a separate seatbelt. I’ve never felt I was having significant contact with the SR.

I have never had additional riders added on Pirates or Small World and would not find that acceptable unless maybe I was riding alone.

I have not had a SR added on any attraction that didn’t have delineated seats in Anaheim (or my two visits to WDW). Maybe I’ve been lucky or maybe they are getting more aggressive about cramming people in, but there is a tipping point where it’s no longer fun and my money is better spent elsewhere. My experience at DLP (for a number of reasons but the SR thing being the final straw) means I won’t likely be back or recommend it to others very highly. Others may feel differently.

I have never had additional riders added on Pirates or Small World and would not find that acceptable unless maybe I was riding alone.
Pirates at DL we had more I think it's because they fit more riders in per row than WDW but it has happened at WDW more than once. Normally WDW they are better at it but it still happens. Navi makes little sense to add more IMO because the rows are not big to begin with but they have tried to do that.

I can't find my photopass photos from our two DL trips in 2019 but I know we had some instances with additional people. I don't think they were just straight up single rider, I think some were just parties split up.
I’ve never felt I was having significant contact with the SR.
I have or at least what I've had to do is continuously keep my body away, like I said when you're going fast and jerking around with the ride vehicle (which is the same as RSR) like when you're in the inside portions being in those seats doesn't really mean much. The same was for us at RSR. Sure you're not touching from the outset like I was for Safari but you aren't completely able to prevent contact all the time either. But I can understand if the seatbelt helps create a better boundary for you
My experience at DLP (for a number of reasons but the SR thing being the final straw) means I won’t likely be back or recommend it to others very highly.
Well I can completely understand if it's a cumulative thing. I was more or less trying to give the experience that it can happen at various Disney Parks and that single rider itself isn't the cause. I think majority of people would love to have a little bit of breathing room so I can commiserate with you when you didn't get that in DLP to the same degree you had at other parks :flower3:

I think you hit the nail on the head that the CMs don’t always use good judgement.
It's a hard job so I don't want to knock the CMs too much here but sometimes it's really apparent when they may have tried to fit too many in.

But I give my experience as a 2 person party majority of the time so I think it's probably more common for them to want to stick more in when they think they can. My husband is also very tall at more than 6 ft 5 so for him his knees become the problem. If there is room next to us there's got to be adequate room because it's not uncommon for him to have his knees angled especially on boat rides. Now Remy (the subject of your initial post) that wasn't the case him needing to have his knees angled.

Pirates at DL we had more I think it's because they fit more riders in per row than WDW but it has happened at WDW more than once. Normally WDW they are better at it but it still happens. Navi makes little sense to add more IMO because the rows are not big to begin with but they have tried to do that.

I can't find my photopass photos from our two DL trips in 2019 but I know we had some instances with additional people. I don't think they were just straight up single rider, I think some were just parties split up.

I have or at least what I've had to do is continuously keep my body away, like I said when you're going fast and jerking around with the ride vehicle (which is the same as RSR) like when you're in the inside portions being in those seats doesn't really mean much. The same was for us at RSR. Sure you're not touching from the outset like I was for Safari but you aren't completely able to prevent contact all the time either. But I can understand if the seatbelt helps create a better boundary for you

Well I can completely understand if it's a cumulative thing. I was more or less trying to give the experience that it can happen at various Disney Parks and that single rider itself isn't the cause. I think majority of people would love to have a little bit of breathing room so I can commiserate with you when you didn't get that in DLP to the same degree you had at other parks :flower3:

It's a hard job so I don't want to knock the CMs too much here but sometimes it's really apparent when they may have tried to fit too many in.

But I give my experience as a 2 person party majority of the time so I think it's probably more common for them to want to stick more in when they think they can. My husband is also very tall at more than 6 ft 5 so for him his knees become the problem. If there is room next to us there's got to be adequate room because it's not uncommon for him to have his knees angled especially on boat rides. Now Remy (the subject of your initial post) that wasn't the case him needing to have his knees angled.
Interesting you mention the knees because that was part of it. I’m not overly tall but had been crunched in a “too small for our party and luggage” Uber minivan for 16 hours getting from London to Paris after our train was cancelled when the Chunnel workers went on strike. It had been several days but my knees were wrecked. The ride vehicle on Crush had already aggravated them and the thought of being crammed in a ride vehicle with no way to move was too much.

It might just be my issue but it is enough that if it were to be common in Anaheim to crowd ride vehicles to the point that I’m worrying that they might cram one more rider on Pirates or decide the Fantasyland rides could take three, it would likely be the end for me (after almost 50 years) of regular attendance. It’s a large investment (we regularly stay several days at the Grand Californian) and it needs to be really fun.

Walt Disney World is trying on some rides to have "Odd" and "Even" queues before the loading stations, thus eliminating the need for a single rider queue.

Given the original poster complaint about Ratatouille, I am shocked the same issue didn't happen at WEB Slingers. Bench seat, single rider queue and they will not let any single seat go empty.

I love single riders queues both as a park goer and from the cast member side, as it allows maximum capacity and slightly shorter lines as a result. When I worked on Space Mountain DLP, I and the team had to work extra hard to group people and even then, we always had many empty seats over an hour. Having a single rider queue then would have helped a lot.

Coming from a different viewpoint - I know OP is very specifically referencing a single rider line/experience, but the discussion seems to be spreading out encompassing other rides/experiences without single rider lines, and more along the lines of personal vs public space.

As a solo traveler, I am almost always delegated to space filler, even on rides where I am waiting in the same queue as "groups". I rarely get my own space or row, and never expect to - it is a public space and environment. It kind of astounds me how much people in groups seem to think they "own" a row, ride vehicle, space in the queue etc. I've had people look at me weird when I join the end of "their" row or back of "their" ride vehicle, people in groups spread out and take the space or seat assigned to me before I can sit down, always monopolize the better views or seats when an option of where to sit even if I was ahead of them in line, shove past me in line to "be with their group", block pathways, etc. I have just as much right and space to be in the park, the ride queues, and rides as them. If I am joining someone in a row or ride vehicle, I was assigned that seat. I waited just as long as the group I am riding with. Most rides don't have single rider options, and even then I only use specifically 'single rider' queues if I know it is short (I don't do well with undefined waiting periods)

A theme park is a public space. No one is guaranteed private access, seating, ride vehicle, place in line etc. unless possibly if you are paying for a VIP experience. I have just as much right to be there and be on that ride and seat as a group does, yet many groups seem to think they monopolize and own the spaces. If sitting next to a stranger is problematic for you, maybe a theme park is not a good choice of vacation.

Coming from a different viewpoint - I know OP is very specifically referencing a single rider line/experience, but the discussion seems to be spreading out encompassing other rides/experiences without single rider lines, and more along the lines of personal vs public space.

As a solo traveler, I am almost always delegated to space filler, even on rides where I am waiting in the same queue as "groups". I rarely get my own space or row, and never expect to - it is a public space and environment. It kind of astounds me how much people in groups seem to think they "own" a row, ride vehicle, space in the queue etc. I've had people look at me weird when I join the end of "their" row or back of "their" ride vehicle, people in groups spread out and take the space or seat assigned to me before I can sit down, always monopolize the better views or seats when an option of where to sit even if I was ahead of them in line, shove past me in line to "be with their group", block pathways, etc. I have just as much right and space to be in the park, the ride queues, and rides as them. If I am joining someone in a row or ride vehicle, I was assigned that seat. I waited just as long as the group I am riding with. Most rides don't have single rider options, and even then I only use specifically 'single rider' queues if I know it is short (I don't do well with undefined waiting periods)

A theme park is a public space. No one is guaranteed private access, seating, ride vehicle, place in line etc. unless possibly if you are paying for a VIP experience. I have just as much right to be there and be on that ride and seat as a group does, yet many groups seem to think they monopolize and own the spaces. If sitting next to a stranger is problematic for you, maybe a theme park is not a good choice of vacation.
Love this, I was in the single rider line at Radiator Springs Racers a few years ago and the cm assigned me a car with a family. The Disney mom WAS NOT HAPPY and tried to stop me getting in the car. She argued and argued but I got in the car. I whooped and hollered around the track, and put my arms up for the on ride photo. I knew I was getting evil stares from the back from the mom, but I didnt care.

Love this, I was in the single rider line at Radiator Springs Racers a few years ago and the cm assigned me a car with a family. The Disney mom WAS NOT HAPPY and tried to stop me getting in the car. She argued and argued but I got in the car. I whooped and hollered around the track, and put my arms up for the on ride photo. I knew I was getting evil stares from the back from the mom, but I didnt care.
LOL! Feel free to join "my" ride vehicle or row any time. That would have made for a great pic :)

I should also throw out that I've also had many great experiences as a solo when encountering others on rides/lines/vehicles, etc. Most interactions and experiences have been positive, but those few negative always cause a little bit of anxiety when boarding as I never know how people are going to react to me being there.

Walt Disney World is trying on some rides to have "Odd" and "Even" queues before the loading stations, thus eliminating the need for a single rider queue.

Given the original poster complaint about Ratatouille, I am shocked the same issue didn't happen at WEB Slingers. Bench seat, single rider queue and they will not let any single seat go empty.

I love single riders queues both as a park goer and from the cast member side, as it allows maximum capacity and slightly shorter lines as a result. When I worked on Space Mountain DLP, I and the team had to work extra hard to group people and even then, we always had many empty seats over an hour. Having a single rider queue then would have helped a lot.
Although it is “bench seating”, Web Slingers has individual seating designations, due to the scoring apparatus and has plenty of room. It was designed for four people. On my first ride on WS in Anaheim, my party of two was joined by another party of two. No issue whatsoever.

Once again, I have zero issues with SR or other parties joining me on vehicles that are designed with separate seats ( or bench seating like WS is designed for a certain number of riders). Similarly, if I were traveling solo, I would expect a party of two to join my bench on Pirates or IASW. I would not be happy with three or four adults joining me as that feels too squished, particularly for strangers. It is an issue of overcrowding a ride vehicle that is my complaint, not SR. People may define “overcrowding “ differently but if it makes me uncomfortable, I doubt I am alone.

That said, my Ratatouille complaint is with DLP not the SR. I have always been welcoming to other riders, making sure they didn’t feel weird, as I can tell some people are uncomfortable being added to an existing party. Even in my Ratatouille experience, I made sure to let the SR know that it had nothing to do with them that I wasn’t riding. They were doing as directed by the CM (who in turn may have been following direction from their supervisor).

Last edited:
Actually the benches at the Ratatouille in DLP are devided in three seats. You all have your own space, so it's an ideal attraction for a single riders line. I understand that when a stranger sits that close to you it can be very uncomfortable, but in my opinion it's not worse at Ratatouille than at any other attraction at DLP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter