Single Parents Rock!

jennasmommyinMS

Mouseketeer
I've been working on a project this week, and I got it done tonight! Well, I still have a little tidying up to do, but I ran out of daylight, so the rest can wait for the weekend. I got rid of my satellite dish a couple of years ago to save money--we use Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon instead. I had this little antenna that picked up a few broadcast channels, but I was missing some shows that we like. So, I got a new big antenna from Amazon, and I installed it on my roof myself. I used the J mount that my old Directv dish was on, and now I pick up 15 channels!

Except for my daughter handing me the antenna that I had mounted on the mast while I was standing on the ladder, I did the whole thing by myself, and I'm pretty proud of the job I did. The whole time I was working on this, my daughter kept wanting to knock on neighbors' doors to find a couple of men--nope, I didn't need any help! My son-in-law told me last weekend that he'd come out and do it for me--didn't need him, either....

So, what have you done around the house as a single parent that makes you proud? Did people doubt that you could do it?

antenna.jpg

Probably sounds silly but I replaced the flow valve in my toilet. I had to figure out first why it kept running all the time and it wasn't a normal toilet inside where I could have just replaced the floating ball. I managed to do it without anything leaking, and it works better than ever! I am so not handy, and I rent, so I could have called the landlord but for a $15 part I figured I could do it myself. Any way.

That antenna looks awesome, I wish I could do that but we don't have Hulu or amazon as options and Netflix is good but not the same as in the US, so I am waiting. I have cut my satellite bill, got rid of some channels and probably going to cut some more. I am hoping the new rules about buying only what you watch will come into effect sooner than later so I can just buy the few I like.

Gosh, I'm so impressed with all of you!!! I am not handy at all and, honestly, am scared to even try most of the time. My dad lives about 15 min away and is retired, so I usually call on him for everything.

My biggie, though, was removing my bedroom door. **Someone** coughDScough locked the dog in my bedroom. It was just one of those push button locks, but it was super old and bent, so it wouldn't unlock. I was able to take the door off the hinges, unlock it, and put it back on the hinges all by myself. It actually wasn't hard at all, but it's something I never would've attempted normally, so I was very proud of myself.

OP - How many channels do you get with the antenna? I've been thinking about getting rid of our cable package. Comcast is the only option in our area and it's gotten ridiculous. It's over $200 a month now. We mostly watch Netflix, but I do like to watch the news and we also watch Disney and Nickelodeon.

I'm picking up 15 channels with the new antenna, and one of those channels is about 70 miles away--I'm very pleased with it! In addition to the streaming services I use, I also use Sling TV. That's another streaming service, and through that I get CNN, ESPN, ESPN2, Disney, AMC, TBS, HGTV, Food Network, Travel Channel, History Channel, History Channel 2, Lifetime, ABC Family, and a few others. So, my monthly payments for all of my streaming services total about $40 a month. When I had Directv, I was paying about $140 a month. We now have plenty of tv options, and I know I'll never go back to satellite or cable.

One more thing about Sling--in addition to the main service for $20 a month, they have other packages that you can add to it for $5 each. They also provide HBO, but it's an additional $15 a month. Unlike cable or satellite, there's no contract, and you can cancel anytime.

I've been working on a project this week, and I got it done tonight! Well, I still have a little tidying up to do, but I ran out of daylight, so the rest can wait for the weekend. I got rid of my satellite dish a couple of years ago to save money--we use Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon instead. I had this little antenna that picked up a few broadcast channels, but I was missing some shows that we like. So, I got a new big antenna from Amazon, and I installed it on my roof myself. I used the J mount that my old Directv dish was on, and now I pick up 15 channels!

Except for my daughter handing me the antenna that I had mounted on the mast while I was standing on the ladder, I did the whole thing by myself, and I'm pretty proud of the job I did. The whole time I was working on this, my daughter kept wanting to knock on neighbors' doors to find a couple of men--nope, I didn't need any help! My son-in-law told me last weekend that he'd come out and do it for me--didn't need him, either....

So, what have you done around the house as a single parent that makes you proud? Did people doubt that you could do it?

View attachment 124398

OMG that's pretty freakin incredible! You SHOULD be proud!

Anytime I assemble something for DS (toys, high hair, car seat, etc.), I feel proud. when something says "assembly required", my brain shuts down. However, as a single mom, I didn't have a choice...I had to learn how to put stuff together.

That is awesome! The most handy thing I've ever done was installed my elfa closet from The Container Store.
elfa_Platinum.jpg
I actually did this while I was with my ex. I got tired of asking him to put it up, so I did it. It was easier than I thought! Those aren't my clothes, just a stock photo of what it looks like. LOL!

That is awesome! The most handy thing I've ever done was installed my elfa closet from The Container Store.
elfa_Platinum.jpg
I actually did this while I was with my ex. I got tired of asking him to put it up, so I did it. It was easier than I thought! Those aren't my clothes, just a stock photo of what it looks like. LOL!

Wow, that's your closet?!?! I wish I were that organized! That's awesome! You did a great job putting that together! I would live in that closet, if mine were that neat. Lol

I love the Container Store by the way. :)

That's not the exact one, it's just a picture from their site. LOL! But that is the one I put it. It's neat like that, but I barely wear the clothes in it. LOL!

I am pretty damn handy, I have re-roofed my garage as it was leaking, lined my garage with plasterboard, replaced all the guttering on the house and repainted the whole house. I have resealed the water tank under my house so now I have 50000 gallons stored water and I have just finished wiring in new lights for my garage. It helps that I work in the building industry.

I am pretty damn handy, I have re-roofed my garage as it was leaking, lined my garage with plasterboard, replaced all the guttering on the house and repainted the whole house. I have resealed the water tank under my house so now I have 50000 gallons stored water and I have just finished wiring in new lights for my garage. It helps that I work in the building industry.

Wow, I'm beyond impressed!!! You rock!!!

I think the ONLY thing I hate about being a single parent is assembling toys! I've been trying to assemble DS's car since 5:40pm. So far, I have 3 stickers in place and ONE of the back wheels on. Ugh!!!!

I wish these toy companies offered the option to pay more to have these darn toys shipped already assembled! I need a DRINK!!! But, I'm nursing, so no wine for me. :(

This vent has been brought to you by, a frustrated single mom. Lol

Today I installed a new back door! The old one was rotted at the bottom, and there was just no fixing it. Here's a photo of the door outside before I started working with it:

back door 2.jpg

Here's a photo of it from the inside after I put it in:

back door 1.jpg

I still have to get some new trim for the inside, and I have to paint it. I'll just get a gallon of paint so that I can paint my front door and shutters since they need it. I'm really loving those blinds between the glass--they're cat-proof!

Today I installed a new back door! The old one was rotted at the bottom, and there was just no fixing it. Here's a photo of the door outside before I started working with it:

View attachment 132231

Here's a photo of it from the inside after I put it in:

View attachment 132234

I still have to get some new trim for the inside, and I have to paint it. I'll just get a gallon of paint so that I can paint my front door and shutters since they need it. I'm really loving those blinds between the glass--they're cat-proof!

Can you come to my house and put my kid's car together???? It still only has 3 stickers and one wheel on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!