Single or double stroller???

ashleyteira77

Earning My Ears
We are heading to Disney next month and I really need help deciding if we should rent a single or double. My kids are 6 and 4. My 6 year old thinks he’s too big for a stroller but I can see him wanting to take a break from time to time. My 4 year old is a sensory seeker and always on the go but I think she will need a break at times too. Should we just do a single and let them switch on and off or just go for the double so they both have a resting spot? My husband hated lugging the city mini gt double on the buses two years ago. Should we just rent one from Disney so we don’t have to take it on/off the busses? Or rent from outside vendor???Please help!!

I think 6 is the turning point when a child no longer needs one, but since you do have a 4 year old it may not be a terrible idea to have a double so he doesn't get jealous. If he is saying he's too big and doesn't want to ride in one and your husband doesn't want to deal with a double, I think you should be ok with a single. A 4 year old can do some walking, too... It isn't like there will be an infant who needs to be pushed all the time so some sharing is possible in theory should it become necessary.

If your 6 year old is a pretty active 6 year old, he should be OK without the stroller for the most part. You might just want to plan a couple of rest breaks during the day and he should be OK. I went last year with a very active 6-year old boy and he had no problem keeping up with the adults as long as we took a break for lunch and snacks. These breaks were just sitting down at a table to eat, it wasn't going back to the resort for a nap sort of thing.

My last trip was with twin toddlers and we had a double stroller, so I can empathize with your hubby not wanting to lug around the double stroller! :)
Have a great trip!

Since your 6 year old doesn't want to use the stroller, I suggest you take the single. If he gets too tired and your 4 year old is using the stroller that you brought, you can always rent a stroller for him in the park. Better yet, take an ice cream break and see if that's enough to recharge his batteries!

Rent a double stroller in the park. Bring a backpack on the bus which you can the put next to the younger child in the stroller (when the older child is walking) to give your back a rest. Even though your older son said he doesn’t need a stroller, Disney can be a tiring place so let him take a break and ride in there if he feels like it.

I think it depends on the kind of trip you're planning. How many days, how long you'll stay in the park, how late you'll be up after the kids' typical bed time.

My 5.5 year olds didn't *need* the stroller during the day but fell asleep in it a few times at the end of the night. That said, we were on a 10 day trip and wanted to see night shows at all 4 parks despite it being after their bed time. We stayed for HEA on day 7 and they made it through that show but all three fell asleep in the strollers waiting for OuaT. Day 8 they made it through Illuminations and fell asleep on the walk out.

These are kids that, outside of Disney, had not slept in a stroller since they had sized out of their infant carriers. But, vacation excitement was waking them up extra early every morning so, by the time they sat down to watch a 20+ minute fireworks show, they were crashing.

We would bring a double stroller and beat tip for lugging on and off the busses is bring an empty foldable tote so when you reach the busses you stash all the random things that have accumulated in the tote. Also one of us takes the kids (6yo, 3yo, & baby) and the tote on the bus then the other takes the backpack and stroller. The more efficient the less overwhelming it has become over the years.

Last trip in June the 6yo liked having a place to rest FWIW and she’s a super active non stop sort of kid

Good luck deciding!

Get a double for sure. Even if 6 yr old just uses it at the end of the day it will be worth it. I would rather have a city mini double and deal with lugging it on the bus.

I took my 6 and 4 year old boys to Disney in January and rented a double out of an abundance of caution and we used it way more than I expected we would. Not because they couldn't handle the amount of walking, but because it was so much easier to keep them contained while getting from point A to point B since my children apparently lack an ability to walk in a straight line 😄

Well we decided to buy a used city mini double to take on the trip. Husband is happy because it cost less than renting. Thanks for everyone’s suggestions, I think we will all be happier with a double!!

Good choice, the difference between a single and a double at their widest points is circa 5inches, so not a significant difference. Good luck!

We are heading to Disney next month and I really need help deciding if we should rent a single or double. My kids are 6 and 4. My 6 year old thinks he’s too big for a stroller but I can see him wanting to take a break from time to time. My 4 year old is a sensory seeker and always on the go but I think she will need a break at times too. Should we just do a single and let them switch on and off or just go for the double so they both have a resting spot? My husband hated lugging the city mini gt double on the buses two years ago. Should we just rent one from Disney so we don’t have to take it on/off the busses? Or rent from outside vendor???Please help!!
husband doesn't like lugging double stroller on buses but what about lugging tired child at end of night. park strollers are no help getting to bus stop and no place to sit and wait for bus.what happens at resort and walking to room? I would offsite rent a double.

We used to use a stroller that had one seat in the front, and a step in the back that the older kid could stand on. This worked well for us.

When we went with two kids, 6 and 3, we got a double stroller, and it was worth every penny. It was an absolute life saver when the 6 yo’s legs got tired.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!