Single or double stroller for 7 and 3

RyanSweeney

Earning My Ears
We're surprising our girls with a December trip to Disney. It'll be the second time for DD7 and first for DD3, unless you count that my wife was pregnant with DD3 the last time we were there. LOL

Anyway, we know we're going to get a stroller for DD3...my question is, should I spend $20 more and get a double in case DD7 wants to ride? I'm thinking yes...but wanted to hear your thoughts on double strollers. Yes, I know some of you say "a 7 year old should be able to walk the parks" and you're right. And I'm sure DD7 could handle it for the most part. She might wear down by evening time, and we're going to the parks for 6 days.

I'm going to be pushing a stroller anyway...so is it that much more trouble to have a double?

I would do a double or 2 singles. I always did 2 singles when my DH came and a double when he didn’t. You can always park one and pick it up later. My kids always hopped in the stroller at that age, although we are rope drop till night time park goers and we criss-cross the parks a lot to avoid lines.

I know many people on here have 3 year olds that can walk 25 miles a day but that wasn’t always the case with my kids. Sometimes they like to climb in just to get some shade or get out of the crowds. Also, if they are snacking and your trying to make a fast pass it’s much easier with a stroller.

I am a big believer in the double stroller. Children's legs are short and any thing that helps them be less grouchy at the end of the day is worth it !

Without hesitation, I would say get the double. We had our kids using strollers at WDW a long time, and glad we did. We have twins, so the double was always fantastic. Yes, it's a little harder to maneuver, but if you get a relatively compact one it's not all that bad. The only time it's really hard is in some of the stores that have narrow aisles, but we normally didn't bring it in there anyway.

Double-avoid conflict between siblings! Disney often means long days and lots of walking and there shouldn’t be a problem with allowing both kiddos a break

We went with a 6 and a 2.5 last time and brought an extra stroller in case the older one needed it but she ended up being fine. The double strollers are harder because if they are next to each other, they are almost impossible to get through a normal sized door frame. Thats why we didnt get a double when we went. ODD ended up not needing one anyway, she preferred to walk, she felt like she got the chance to see more stuff anyway. I know they have double strollers that sit one behind the other but it just seemed like more trouble than we needed, especially to fold and carry on the buses. So we stuck with our normal single from home and it worked out just fine.

Double! We went last year when our kids were 7 and 2. The two year old is big, so the double was pretty heavy, but it's worth it to not deal with a tired complaining kid. The 7 year old is my DD and she may win the award for slowest child on the planet...and we like to accomplish a lot at Disney.

Were going for a short trip in September and just doing a single stroller for the 3 year old. If it were longer I would rent a double again. I'm excited to not have to deal with a double, but worried about my 8 year old waking at the speed of a snail. But it will be hot and we only have 3 days in the parks so we probably won't be running around quite as much. Hopefully we don't regret the single :)

So, I didn't get one single alert that anyone replied to my thread...so thanks to everyone who did!

Without hesitation, I would say get the double. We had our kids using strollers at WDW a long time, and glad we did. We have twins, so the double was always fantastic. Yes, it's a little harder to maneuver, but if you get a relatively compact one it's not all that bad. The only time it's really hard is in some of the stores that have narrow aisles, but we normally didn't bring it in there anyway.

Did you use a side-by-side or a one behind the other version?

We went with a 6 and a 2.5 last time and brought an extra stroller in case the older one needed it but she ended up being fine. The double strollers are harder because if they are next to each other, they are almost impossible to get through a normal sized door frame. Thats why we didnt get a double when we went. ODD ended up not needing one anyway, she preferred to walk, she felt like she got the chance to see more stuff anyway. I know they have double strollers that sit one behind the other but it just seemed like more trouble than we needed, especially to fold and carry on the buses. So we stuck with our normal single from home and it worked out just fine.

What time of year were you there and how many days? We're going in early December and will be there a week.

I'd just do a single for the 3 yo and let the 7 yo walk. The weather in early December isn't going to be drainingly hot. Last August on a 12 night trip, it was sweltering and DD7 was totally fine without a stroller during 10+ hour days. The not quite 2 year old even walked quite a bit whenever we got away from the crowds. Single strollers are just much easier to navigate and we liked that DD had enough energy to get back to the room, but was ready for bed when we got there.

Single. Last time we went (also early December), our girls were 2.5 and 5.5. We just brought our single for the 2.5 year old and the 5.5 year old walked just fine. If the younger insisted on walking at some point, the older would hop in for a bit but we never had any issues with her wanting to ride at the same time as her sister. The only time we used it for the 5.5 year old on a regular basis was at park close- I wore the 2.5 year old and DH pushed the 5.5 year old just to move through the crowds more quickly (and not lose her!) to get to the buses. We’re going this December and our girls will be 5.5 and 8.5 and no way are we bringing a stroller. I can’t wait to experience Disney stroller free again!

What time of year were you there and how many days? We're going in early December and will be there a week.

We were there for 9 days, 8 nights. One was MNSSHP which was a 2am night. It was Late September/early October in 2016. Park levels, according to TPs, was 6-8 depending on the park. My bestie went this year for a week coming home December 18th, and they brought a double, but not a side by side. Her double was useful in the airport she said, her kids were 2 and 5, but she wished that she had brought the single into the parks because folding it for the bus every night or to hop was more difficult than it would've been with a single. We usually do a 10am park day start and we close the park in the evening. We also do not do a midday break, but my friend does, so what probably made it more frustrating to fold up the stroller significantly more times per day.

I just wanted to comment that we've rented a double once before, and had 0 issue fitting anywhere. The side by side is a far easier stroller to push than a tandem, especially if your kids are "older" (mine at the time were 6 and almost 3). Aside from being a bit heavier, we really didn't have any issue with collapsing, pushing, steering, etc. That said, our kids are now 8 and almost 5, and we're doing 1 stroller this time. If nothing else, I'm elated to not have to referee the two of them picking at each other while in the stroller, lol.

It's been years since I've needed a stroller. Are the double strollers still those hard plastic ones? I'll have a 3 year old who, hopefully, will nap in the stroller during the day. We'll also have a 5 year old. He's probably fine walking but I'd prefer to put him in a stroller too.

My kids are 4.5 years apart. The younger turned 2yo during his first trip and the older was 6.5yo. We used a single stroller. When the younger needed to nap, we used a good carrier (he slept longer in the carrier than the stroller) and the older would hop in, but otherwise didn't even ask for the stroller.

Six months later took the older by herself for a 7th birthday trip. She hung from rope drop to park closing and never even asked for a stroller (it was July and we did take midday breaks in the pool).

I wouldn't get a double. If it isn't an option, it won't be missed.

It's been years since I've needed a stroller. Are the double strollers still those hard plastic ones? I'll have a 3 year old who, hopefully, will nap in the stroller during the day. We'll also have a 5 year old. He's probably fine walking but I'd prefer to put him in a stroller too.
I was at DW in March with 2 grandsons, 4 & 5, they haven't been in strollers for a while. We researched "Magic Strollers" and the ones you rent right at Disney (yes the plastic ones). We have been many times with babies....and strollers and the bus system. My adult children say they will not go back to Disney until there are NO strollers on the bus.
The Disney rental was the best, we had hopper passes and just passed in the stroller and got a new one AFTER we got of the bus at a new park(one price per day or extended stay) So much more manageable. Double, we had no maneuvering issues AND both boys, who were quite confused that they'd be in a stroller? at first....hopped in every single time it was picked up. They never walked anywhere except on to rides and the bus. It was the best spent money of the whole trip. No carrying or grumping about being tired at all. Do it!

I was at DW in March with 2 grandsons, 4 & 5, they haven't been in strollers for a while. We researched "Magic Strollers" and the ones you rent right at Disney (yes the plastic ones). We have been many times with babies....and strollers and the bus system. My adult children say they will not go back to Disney until there are NO strollers on the bus.
The Disney rental was the best, we had hopper passes and just passed in the stroller and got a new one AFTER we got of the bus at a new park(one price per day or extended stay) So much more manageable. Double, we had no maneuvering issues AND both boys, who were quite confused that they'd be in a stroller? at first....hopped in every single time it was picked up. They never walked anywhere except on to rides and the bus. It was the best spent money of the whole trip. No carrying or grumping about being tired at all. Do it!
Thanks. Did they nap at all in it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter