Single night at Universal, how to check in for express pass

persimmondeb

DIS Veteran
We are planning a trip in early September, and are planning to book one night at Royal Pacific, mostly to take advantage of the express pass/front of the line benefit. We'll have one day park to park tickets. We're planning to visit the parks on the day we check in. I'll probably book the tickets and hotel separately, because it doesn't look like I can book it as a package with one day tickets. We're planning to arrive bright and early from our previous hotel, and go more or less straight to the parks.

How I do this at Disney is we turn up at the hotel, let them know we are there, leave the car, and go off to have fun, having activated our tickets/dining plan. Does Universal work pretty much the same way? I can call them, but I thought it might be simplest to check here first.

Yes, usually the best prices are achieved booking separately.

With the deluxe resorts you get EP for both check in AND check out days (and all days in between). If you show up early enough on check in day you can get EP for the whole day, so if that's your plan show up as early as possible.

As to what the actual process is like at that time, well, everything is up in the air.

I would try and suggest taking full advantage of 2 days of EP and stretch your visit a bit. The cost of a 2 day base ticket is a marginal increase over a 1 day park-to-park.

Your room key is your express pass so you just check in as early as you want and that is it!

Excellent, that was what I was thinking. It's not going to be a problem when we turn up at 7:30 am, is it? That was my real concern.

Excellent, that was what I was thinking. It's not going to be a problem when we turn up at 7:30 am, is it? That was my real concern.
It will be fine at 7:30. They will give you the "key" cards to use as EP. When your room is ready, they will print you another set of cards.

I believe there is a fairly significant parking charge at the on-site deluxe hotels that have the EP. Also, I believe you still need a park to park ticket to ride the Hogwarts Express in case you consider 2 day base tickets vs one day park to park.

The last few times we've checked in during the 7:00AM hour. Usually done by 7:30ish, all have our room keys/EP, and head to the parks. last trip, we activated tickets the first time at the turnstiles, and that added some time for entry, but the hotel checkin was easy, and no big deal to do early in the morning!
have fun!!!

It will be fine at 7:30. They will give you the "key" cards to use as EP. When your room is ready, they will print you another set of cards.

We did not have to go back for another set of cards during our late February 2020 trip. They just texted me our room number, and the key cards worked when we got to the room.

You should also confirm which is the early open park that day as well. Depending upon what time you get there, you may want to go there or just head to the other park first if you miss it.

Then again, most touring plans are up in the air until we understand better what the process will be an if Hagrid's will have EP or not by then. .

This is our plan for our Thanksgiving trip. We fly in Tues night and arrive around 10:30pm. Will stay that first night at the Marriott($100/nt) just across the freeway from RPR and plan to get up and switch hotels before 7am, chck-in and get our EP tickets and then off to the parks for 3 days of fun on two nights at RPR.

The last few times we've checked in during the 7:00AM hour. Usually done by 7:30ish, all have our room keys/EP, and head to the parks. last trip, we activated tickets the first time at the turnstiles, and that added some time for entry, but the hotel checkin was easy, and no big deal to do early in the morning!
have fun!!!

We are getting a room for one night just for express pass benefits. I will want to go as early as possible to do early check in. Do they still do the pictures for the passes and so we all have to go to check in or can I just check in and get everyone’s express pad cards while they are eating breakfast or something?

You can sign in to ( register) and get the hotel room key card.
And you can get them for all in your party that’s on
your registration.

No pictures on the room key.
Name only.

We did not have to go back for another set of cards during our late February 2020 trip. They just texted me our room number, and the key cards worked when we got to the room.
They are supposed to be able to text your room number so you can go straight to the room, but we've unfortunately never had that work in all of our trips. Consider yourself lucky! The employee at the front desk even joked once that it only works some of the time and that I should plan on coming back to the desk to get our room number and have our keys programmed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter