Signing up for Jedi training- how difficult is it?

Burgermom

Mouseketeer
We plan to visit Hollywood Studios the first Monday in February 2018.
My son would like to do the Jedi training.
I have a breakfast ADR for 8:10 so that I can do the sign up before breakfast (hopefully with minimal wait) but I'm not sure if it is worth it. My son sort of likes Jake from JAke and the neverland pirates...but he's five and kind of over him...
If I cancel my ADR, how hard would it be to get to HS early and sign up for Jedi on a Monday in early February?
Trying to cut back on costs... :)
FYI: I originally posted this on DInsey for Families and didn't receive any replies so thought that I would try it here.

You and the child can certainly arrive before Rope Drop and just walk directly to the sign-up area and sign up after they open the gates.

This will be easier in the first part of Feb.

Edit to add: There are a lot of conflicting reports in this thread.

Less busy dates- the wait and sign-up time will be less.
More busy dates- the wait and sign-up time will be more.

Thousands of guests sign up for JT by making a PPO breakfast ADR.
Thousands of guests sign up for JT without needing a PPO breakfast ADR.

Bottom line...
Without a PPO ADR-
Arrive early.
Head to the JT sign-up first.
The earlier in line you are, the sooner you'll be finished with the sign-up.

Last edited:
Early last month 11 of us got to DHS well before opening and got to the rope. The way to the left where signups take place was open so daughter SIL and 2 grandkids went right over, I couldn't see how many others were there but it wasn't a huge crowd. The rest of us walked on to TSM, did that and the Buzz Woody meet across the street, that took at least 20 mins., then we walked to ToT. We waited for some minutes before the Jeddi crew caught up. It was at least 45 minutes after they went to signup, probably more.

Bill From PA

Early last month 11 of us got to DHS well before opening and got to the rope. The way to the left where signups take place was open so daughter SIL and 2 grandkids went right over, I couldn't see how many others were there but it wasn't a huge crowd. The rest of us walked on to TSM, did that and the Buzz Woody meet across the street, that took at least 20 mins., then we walked to ToT. We waited for some minutes before the Jeddi crew caught up. It was at least 45 minutes after they went to signup, probably more.

Bill From PA

Yikes, that’s going to majorly mess up my touring plan! I have about 20 minutes allocated.

Going the the week after MLK day, we want an afternoon show, is it worth signing up at rope drop? Or can we go back about an hour later and still get an afternoon show?

We have signed up the last 2 visits, rope dropped the park (a bit before opening, but not silly early). First time it was a long wait, probably over 45 mins, the second time moved much quicker. On both occasions have had plenty of choice of training times to fit around FP and ADR. Glad DS has decided he is too old for it now though, it did take up a lot of time.

Yikes, that’s going to majorly mess up my touring plan! I have about 20 minutes allocated.

I have to imagine if you get there about 45 minutes before park opening and are one of the first guests to sign up (apart from the PPO breakfast people) you should be done pretty quickly. Its been awhile since we did it but we were done with signing up before the internal ropes dropped.

Arrive well before park opening and go right away to sign up. We did this in August and were done with sign up way before internal rope drop as well, so it didn't impact our touring time at all.

Going the the week after MLK day, we want an afternoon show, is it worth signing up at rope drop? Or can we go back about an hour later and still get an afternoon show?

We're actually going on MLK day, so I know it's going to be extra crowded that day. Jedi training is one of our only priorities that day, so we plan on being there early so we can sign up. I have like 2.5 hours allocated around noon, so hopefully I can get one of those slots. I figure since it's the "offseason", there won't be as many training time slots as there was during the busy times.

I think that would be risky. Just depends on how much your heart is set on it. We signed up well before opening on our last trip and the earliest slot was 12pm.

This was my experience November 27. The park was scheduled to open at 9.

Photo #1: This was taken at 8:15

jedi 1.jpg

They let us in just after 8:30 am. We were the 2nd group at the tapstiles furthest to the right. There wasn't a line at that one until around 8:25, we slid right over. We were 6th in line at the Jedi Training signups.

Photo#2: This was taken right after we signed up, time stamped 8:41, looking from the front of the line to the back, or so I thought.

jedi 2.jpg

Photo #3: Then when I got to the end of the above line, I looked left, and saw the rest of the line.

jedi 3.jpg

So, best advice, get there an hour early and be ready to go or snag a PPO ADR at Hollywood and Vine. Love they started signups before they opened so we didn't lose any park time waiting in line.

This was my experience November 27. The park was scheduled to open at 9.

Photo #1: This was taken at 8:15

View attachment 288355

They let us in just after 8:30 am. We were the 2nd group at the tapstiles furthest to the right. There wasn't a line at that one until around 8:25, we slid right over. We were 6th in line at the Jedi Training signups.

Photo#2: This was taken right after we signed up, time stamped 8:41, looking from the front of the line to the back, or so I thought.

View attachment 288357

Photo #3: Then when I got to the end of the above line, I looked left, and saw the rest of the line.

View attachment 288358

So, best advice, get there an hour early and be ready to go or snag a PPO ADR at Hollywood and Vine. Love they started signups before they opened so we didn't lose any park time waiting in line.

Just to clariy, in photo #1, is that a photo of all the lines waiting to get into the park? When you say you were in the line furthest to the right do you mean the line furthest from where you were standing when you took the photo?

I have never been to HS so not sure what it all looks like

thanks for your help :) this is very helpful

@John Marecek what time did you arrive at the park? These are really good pics and helpful info so thank you!

Also, if you were in one of the far right lines did you have to cross over a bunch of people to get to the left turn for the Jedi signups?

And to the OP, if you aren't on the dining plan, IMO it is not worth to pay out of pocket for the Pre RD ADR. The characters take a while to come around and we left early before we met all the characters so we could head to TSMM. Next March we are going to try arriving super early and do as the PP said.

Keep the ADR! Totally worth it to secure a spot Jedi Training at a good time! You can always choose to split your party up and just have one adult and the little jedi do the ADR.

Just to clariy, in photo #1, is that a photo of all the lines waiting to get into the park? When you say you were in the line furthest to the right do you mean the line furthest from where you were standing when you took the photo?

I have never been to HS so not sure what it all looks like

thanks for your help :) this is very helpful

Photo 1 was taken outside the gates, 45 minutes before scheduled park open. This photo was taken from the opposite side from where we eventually entered. I don't even see my family in the photo.

@John Marecek what time did you arrive at the park? These are really good pics and helpful info so thank you!

Also, if you were in one of the far right lines did you have to cross over a bunch of people to get to the left turn for the Jedi signups?

And to the OP, if you aren't on the dining plan, IMO it is not worth to pay out of pocket for the Pre RD ADR. The characters take a while to come around and we left early before we met all the characters so we could head to TSMM. Next March we are going to try arriving super early and do as the PP said.

We were there about 50 minutes before scheduled park open.

We were in a different line until a cast member appeared at what was a covered tapstile to our right. He took off the cover, we jumped over to his line.

We were the 2nd group to tap, so there weren't a ton of people to maneuver through. We did break up as a group to get there faster. My wife lagged back with the stroller while my 10 year old and I played Frogger through the humans to get back to the line faster. Sure it wasn't the easiest, but the right side had the shortest line originally, and we got lucky in the end. Even had we not gotten lucky. We were 7 or 8 groups back where we started, which at the time, was the last line on the right. The further left you went, the longer the line got.

If I do the 8:10am ADR at HV what time should I get to the park? Around 7:45?
What is the process with this ADR. Will they have a place to sign in and then once I'm in I can sign up before breakfast?

During Spring Break our 5 year old wanted to do it so we showed up right around rope drop. They had already dropped it early though and it took a loooong time to weave through.... We were at the very end of the line starting and have to go through the "tree trail" but still had choice of times when we finally made it. I thought for sure they would run out but nope...still had plenty.

The best part of it though were the Photo Pass pictures - they did a fantastic job and some really up close. Made it all so worth it! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!