SID help

mommy21angel

Earning My Ears
Hi
I am new to this forum and hope you don't mind me asking some questions
My 5 year old daughter has Sensory Intergration Dysfunction or SID.SID has alot of similarities as autism.Last year when we visited Disney at times she would become overstimulated and have meltdowns,these normally would occur when she was over tired or "crowded" while waiting in line.
Now to look at her she looks"normal"But she has alot of sensory issues.My question is I have heard that Disney could help accomadate such children.Can anyone tell me exactly what do I have to do to find out.Will they give a GAC for a child suffering from SID?And how exactly will the GAC help her.
Last year when we went we waited for 30 minutes on a line and a lady behind us kept pushing on her which in turn"freaked"her out.A CM shot us a look and we wound up just walking away embarrassed.I just do not want a repeat of last year.Any help and info would be so appreciated

Welcome to disABILITIES.
Here's some information that should help you.
The GAC isn't given based on diagnosis, so there isn't a "Yes, a child with SID will get one" or "no, they won't" answer; it's given based on needs.

To request a Guest Assistance Card (we call them GACs to avoid typing so much), go to Guest Services in any of the parks with the person with a disability and explain your needs. Just saying, "My child has ADHD or SID" does not help much, because some people with that diagnosis will have minimal problems waiting in line and others will have lots of problems. The CMs are not medical people and may not know what types of difficulties people with specific disabilities/conditions might have.
You need to be able to explain what sorts of behaviors/problems you expect to encounter. The GACs have different messages stamped on them, depending on what the needs are. GACs issued in one park are good in all parks and are usually valid for your entire length of stay (You don't need to get a new one each day). GACs are usually issued for the person with a disability plus up to 5 members of their party - there may be times when you are asked to split into smaller groups because of attraction capacity in the special needs area for that ride.

In general, people who use wheelchairs or ecvs don't need and won't be given a GAC because just having the wheelchair/ecv alerts the CM that they need an accessible entrance. If that meets the needs, you don't need a GAC. But some people need a quieter place to wait, a place out of the sun, a place away from other people or to be able to bring a stroller into line and have it treated the same as a wheelchair. The GAC is a tool to alert CMs of that sort of invisible need. It is not meant to (and usually won't) shorten or eliminate your wait in line.

And here's a website with a lot of helpful insites into touring with special needs people.

But some people need a quieter place to wait, a place out of the sun, a place away from other people or to be able to bring a stroller into line and have it treated the same as a wheelchair. The GAC is a tool to alert CMs of that sort of invisible need. It is not meant to (and usually won't) shorten or eliminate your wait in line

Thank you so much for the information.That is exactly what she needs.A quieter place to wait.We are not bad with waiting,the problem comes when people start to push on her or crowd her
Thank you for your help :)

Hi, I think any child can be overloaded at WDW, so you are not alone. My son also has lots of SI issues and one thing we did was to break up our days. A couple of hours at the park then back to the hotel for a swim. It really helped to work off alot of stress for him. Then when we went back in the evening he was much calmer and able to enjoy some of the activities. You should definately get a GAC. With fastpass you may not need it but it really does help if you need it. Take care.

I think breaking up your day is a good idea. There are so many ways for sensory defensive kids to become overstimulated...touch, sound, smell etc...plus the rides give added vestibular input!!!

I would also try to do some deep pressure activities before you come into the park or even before you get in a line...wall push ups or bear hugs can be beneficial...munching on popcorn or pretzels or even chewing gum can give some added proprioceptive (deep pressure) input with calming results. If you do have to wait in line, maybe your child could stand between family members, so others dont accidentally bump into them...also, a big factor can be recognizing that a melt down is coming before it happens...take a break to cool off or see one of the movie type attractions.

If you follow a brushing program or a sensory diet, I think you should keep doing that as routine as possible since almost everything else will not be part of a regular routine.

Do you think your child's doctor would write a letter of medical necessity for you? then the doc could explain the reasons why a pass may be needed....

I am a pediatric OT who works with SID kiddo's at a children's hospital.

have a great trip!!! ::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo

Do you think your child's doctor would write a letter of medical necessity for you? then the doc could explain the reasons why a pass may be needed....
A doctor's letter is not neccessary to request a Guest Assistance Card (the reason they don't call it a Pass is that most people think "immediate access" when they hear pass, and the card is not meant to provide that). All you need is to be able to explain what sorts of issues your child has and what sorts of things would help. For example, many children with autism or sensory difficulties do well with being able to bring a stroller in line. it's sort of like bringing a "portable safe place" into line with you. Also, kids who benefot from deep pressure often like the hard plastic WDW rental strollers. Besides being molded plastic, they have solid sides that cut down on stimulation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter