Shuttle service that can accept ECV?

Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre
I am staying at an Orlando timeshare beginning Dec. 6th, and when I called today to verify my (non-refundable) reservation, I was told that they no longer have a shuttle service to Disney parks. I had been planning to rent an off-site scooter from Gold Mobility or other company, but if I now have to drive a rental car to the parks I am not physically able to disassemble and reassemble a portable scooter. I do NOT want to rent an ECV at Disney parks because they have changed their scooters to be EXTREMELY slow, slower than a person walking! Does anyone have any suggestions --- are there any scooter rental companies that would deliver to the Disney parks instead of Disney hotels? Or is there an inexpensive shuttle company that makes the rounds of hotels and timeshares that I might be able to use? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!!

I suggest checking with Mears. They offer accessible taxis and may have shuttles. Or they can at least let you know an estimate of taxi cost for your timeshare location so you can budget.

I am staying at an Orlando timeshare beginning Dec. 6th, and when I called today to verify my (non-refundable) reservation, I was told that they no longer have a shuttle service to Disney parks. I had been planning to rent an off-site scooter from Gold Mobility or other company, but if I now have to drive a rental car to the parks I am not physically able to disassemble and reassemble a portable scooter. I do NOT want to rent an ECV at Disney parks because they have changed their scooters to be EXTREMELY slow, slower than a person walking! Does anyone have any suggestions --- are there any scooter rental companies that would deliver to the Disney parks instead of Disney hotels? Or is there an inexpensive shuttle company that makes the rounds of hotels and timeshares that I might be able to use? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!!

You may also find that a locally based car service might be able to help you out. Look in the Transportation forum here; I know that there are a couple of Orlando car services that are highly thought of by other DIS'ers. You could call them and ask if they could do daily drop off/pick up and help you with your rental.

Mears has vans which will easily accommodate an ECV. No additional charge, but it's the regular Mears taxi rate. It's not that hard taking apart some scouters. Are you traveling by yourself? Renting a speed limited scooter at the parks might be your cheapest option.

A long shot. Ask Gold Mobility if any SUV or mini van you might be able to rent will accommodate a scooter without the need to disassemble it. If so can either Gold Mobility or the rental agency loan or rent you whatever ramp is necessary.

Mears has vans which will easily accommodate an ECV. No additional charge, but it's the regular Mears taxi rate. It's not that hard taking apart some scouters. Are you traveling by yourself? Renting a speed limited scooter at the parks might be your cheapest option.

A long shot. Ask Gold Mobility if any SUV or mini van you might be able to rent will accommodate a scooter without the need to disassemble it. If so can either Gold Mobility or the rental agency loan or rent you whatever ramp is necessary.

If the OP needs assistance getting from TTC/the landing (or drop off) up through Security and to ECV rental (for example at MK) then a Parks scooter is not a good option, unless they bring a Rollator or some other assistive device to help them bridge that gap. It's still quite a distance at all 4 Parks from the closest drop-off point to ECV rentals. I agree that a flat $50/per day might be a cheaper option, but then the OP wouldn't have a mobility device if she decided to go anywhere else in Orlando (Universal, SeaWorld, Legoland, etc.) readily available to her.

Typically, mobility ramps are either heavy, or foldable, or both. Although a single traveler can (with enough time and patience) set up the ramps, line up the scooter and then push it up into the vehicle themselves, it's not quick, easy or intuitive, and the ramps can often weigh as much or more than the individual components of a scooter than can be taken apart and put in the trunk for travel. That's why units that disassemble into "chunks" or fold down are so popular with buying public, and you don't see many people using ramps. I'm not saying that OP shouldn't enquire - it could be that they have a system in place or some other solution none of us have thought of - just a general observation, based on lots of personal research and experience.

Shared shuttle services are not going to be a likely option. I expect at least part of the reason the timeshare discontinued shuttle service was social distancing on the shuttle- it was not cost-effective for them to run multiple shuttles, but to meet distancing needs, they could no longer run a single bus. Additionally, few shuttle busses can take more than two wheelchairs/ECVs simultaneously, and most only one, so a shared speciality service is t a big likelihood either, especially when traveling parties are often more than the wheelchair/ecvuser and a single companion.

I suggest checking with Mears. They offer accessible taxis and may have shuttles. Or they can at least let you know an estimate of taxi cost for your timeshare location so you can budget.
THANK YOU! Per your recommendation I looked online and also called Mears, and it is exactly what I needed! I have now scheduled roundtrip shuttle with them from my timeshare to the parks, and it is much cheaper than renting a car and parking at WDW. I am so glad you recommended checking with them!!!!

Jane Eyre,
I’m interested in hearing about your experience when you used the Mears shuttle with your ECV. Thanks!

THANK YOU! Per your recommendation I looked online and also called Mears, and it is exactly what I needed! I have now scheduled roundtrip shuttle with them from my timeshare to the parks, and it is much cheaper than renting a car and parking at WDW. I am so glad you recommended checking with them!!!!

@Jane Eyre - How did your trip go using the Mears shuttle?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter