Shows and parades...

DeniseJH

DIS Veteran
We're planning our first trip to DL, and have been to WDW about 20 times, the last time being 3 weeks ago. We are two adults. I'm wanting opinions on what shows and parades are worth watching. I know people say Fantasmic is better at DL, but that's one we probably won't go out of our way for. Is World of Color really good? How about the nighttime parade? Thanks!!

Denise

We're planning our first trip to DL, and have been to WDW about 20 times, the last time being 3 weeks ago. We are two adults. I'm wanting opinions on what shows and parades are worth watching. I know people say Fantasmic is better at DL, but that's one we probably won't go out of our way for. Is World of Color really good? How about the nighttime parade? Thanks!!

Denise

Fantasmic is different because of the venue and the way some of the scenes are set, but on my one trip to WDW 11 years ago I enjoyed the seating for Fantasmic. Unfortunately seeing the amazing show at Disneyland is a bit of a hassle. I don't blame you for considering skipping it.

WOC is a cool show. It does require a FP and some time, but it feels less squished than Fantasmic. It is reopening soon.

The light parade they had for the 60th and last year was great, if that comes back when you are there I definitely recommend.

At the Princess Fantasy Faire there are two stage shows. Rapunzelle and Belle each play daily. The shows are humorous retellings of the movies. Also the Fantasyland theater has a great production titled Mickey and the Magical Map. Try to see that one. Frozen is playing at the Hyperion if you want a big stage production. It lasts around an hour and is well done. It is also inside and provides nice relief from the heat.

Both parks have streetmosphere and smaller acts worth seeing too. The best place to get information is the Disneyland website.

- I loved Fantasmic! Almost cried at the end! So far that is my favorite. Many people on the boards recommend getting a dining package. I just used a regular fastpass to see it, and was happy with that. Yes, you do have to sit on the ground, and yes, you do have to get there early to the Fastpass, but I'm not one to pay money for shows.
- I also really like Mickey and Magical map. It's a short 20 minute show at Fantasyland Theatre. It's a good way to relax midday. Such a cute show!
- Paint the Night isn't running, and I don't think anyone knows when it is coming back. But that was another fun one
- Frozen was also pretty good.
- I haven't seen WOC because it was broken for so long. But I think I will just walk up and see it, rather than do a dining package.

There are videos on YouTube of most/all of the DLR shows currently running. Try looking at a few videos to see which shows look interesting to you.
- F! is a classic. All our WDW friends like F! at WDW and love it at DL. The DL finale is magical. The dinlng packages have the best viewing areas with the least wait.
- Agree that Mickey & the Magical Map is a great afternoon break -- easy seating, very fun show.
- Soundsational is a charming daytime parade. Great time to enjoy your corndog/popcorn/Mickey ice cream bar/etc. while watching a very fun parade.
- Frozen is a fun show, professional effects, good a/c in the theater -- makes a great afternoon break.
- WOC is totally worth seeing. A unique experience and great show. The Dessert Party is a very fun luxury.
- All the live music acts around the parks and in DTD are very fun and worth stopping to see. They really add to the parks' atmosphere.

Thank you all for your responses. It looks like we'll probably catch World of Color and hope for Paint the Night. We just last night started watching some videos on youtube about DL, and Mickey and the Magical Map does get mentioned a lot. I'm sure we'll see that one, especially since it's so short.

When in September? DLR usually goes to the low/non-peak schedule by the end of August. (I say "usually" because no one knows yet how SWGE is going to affect things.) Low/non-peak schedule = shorter hours, lower staffing, more refurbs, rides running at lower capacity, less entertainment (so Mickey & the Magical Map may only run on weekends), nighttime entertainment on weekends only, etc. Halloween Time should start by mid-Sept. Mickey's Halloween Party will shift the schedule for nighttime entertainment for whichever park it's in. Rumor has it going to DCA this year, but there has been no official word on that. If that happens, WOC probably won't run for non-party guests on MHP nights, so watch the schedule when it comes out.

I suggest that you see World of Color. It's is unlike anything at WDW. Get the Dessert package so that you can sit and relax during the show. It's worth the cost.

If there are fireworks (not Mickey Mix Magic) on when you are there, go see them. In fact, if it is a nighttime thing, so see it. Disneyland does great nighttime entertainment.

I like Fantasmic! at Disneyland much better than WDW. They use the river craft and their dragon is SO MUCH BETTER (if she is out).

When in September? DLR usually goes to the low/non-peak schedule by the end of August. (I say "usually" because no one knows yet how SWGE is going to affect things.) Low/non-peak schedule = shorter hours, lower staffing, more refurbs, rides running at lower capacity, less entertainment (so Mickey & the Magical Map may only run on weekends), nighttime entertainment on weekends only, etc. Halloween Time should start by mid-Sept. Mickey's Halloween Party will shift the schedule for nighttime entertainment for whichever park it's in. Rumor has it going to DCA this year, but there has been no official word on that. If that happens, WOC probably won't run for non-party guests on MHP nights, so watch the schedule when it comes out.

We are going during the latter half of the month. Are there usually a lot of attractions down at one time?

We are going during the latter half of the month. Are there usually a lot of attractions down at one time?
You'll be there during Halloween Time. Will you be attending Mickey's Halloween Party? Dates haven't been published yet. When tickets do go on sale, the parties do sell out every year. So keep watching here for the announcement on dates and ticket sales. Halloween Time is a very busy time in the parks, but it is really fun. HM will be in full swing with the NBC overlay. SM will have the GG overlay. But the nighttime entertainment schedule will be affected by the MHP schedule, so make sure to check on that when the schedules come out. If the parties are at DL, there will be no F! and no fireworks on MHP nights for non-MHP guests. On party nights, fireworks are for MHP guests only. If the parties move to DCA, then we don't really know what will happen to the entertainment schedule, but WOC probably will be affected.

Last edited:
You'll be there during Halloween Time. Will you be attending Mickey's Halloween Party? Dates haven't been published yet. When tickets do go on sale, the parties do sell out every year. So keep watching here for the announcement on dates and ticket sales. Halloween Time is a very busy time in the parks, but it is really fun. HM will be in full swing with the NBC overlay. SM will have the GG overlay. But the nighttime entertainment schedule will be affected by the MHP schedule, so make sure to check on that when the schedules come out. If the parties are at DL, there will be no F! and no fireworks on MHP nights for non-MHP guests. On party nights, fireworks are for MHP guests only. If the parties move to DCA, then we don't really know what will happen to the entertainment schedule, but WOC probably will be affected.

No, we wouldn't be doing the Halloween Party. Sounds like we should avoid DL those days. This is our first, and probably only, trip to DL, so we are more interested in the ride type attractions than the shows. Would like to catch WOC if we can, but not if it means missing other things due to crowds/time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whichever park has the party will close early, forcing non-party guests to hop to the other park (which will get crowded). Since we don't yet know which park will have the party, we can't know which park you should avoid on party days. (And the mornings and early afternoons on party days are usually pretty good -- it's the early entry party hours and the evening hours in the non-party park that get crowded.) If you're not really into Halloween (and DLR does do the Halloween decorations and fun really well!) and know you won't be participating in the parties, then you might want to think about another time to visit or extend your trip so that you have more time to fit everything in no matter what DLR's hours end up being.
This superthread from last year will give you an overview of what went on during Hallween Time, when, and what were the pros and cons of visiting during that time frame: Mickey's Halloween Party and Halloween Time Superthread 2018!!.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter