• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should we upgrade to AP's?

sleepyone

DIS Veteran
We have this year's vacation planned at CBR and we purchased the Park Hopper tickets. If we plan on going back to WDW in 11 mos. to stay at a monorail resort, would it be best to upgrade to Annual Passes? What kind of discounts are available for the resorts? How do you find out about the discounts? TIA for any replies.

APs cost $420.68. A MYW 10 day, park-hopping, no expiration ticket costs $366.36. So, the difference between the two costs is $54.32. As long as you get AP discounts amounting to $54.32 (whether it be room, dining, souveneirs, etc) you'll break even. We're going to Pop this June with an AP discount and have already saved the $54.32. I'd say as long as you'll be going to the parks for 10+ days you'd save. The dining discounts, World of Disney discounts and room discounts add up pretty quickly.

Remember, you only need 1 AP to get all the AP benefits for everyone with you, everyone else can get MYW tickets and save a little more money, unless your 2 trips do add up to 10 or more days then APs all around would be the way to go IMO.

Just to clarify, I also always thought it was 10 days to break even on the AP.
But with the new pricing and a little math it is actually 12 days.
$420.68 / 36.63 is 1.165 or 12 days. if you are comparing the 10 day MYW expire passes, it is 18 days. I always assumed I would definitely get the AP for my next trip but may not get them for everyone now since I ran the numbers.

We are getting APs for our upcoming trip in October - we figure if we already have the tickets it will be easier to plan an on the fly trip :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

If you can get a hotel discount, it can add up to substantial savings.

On a 8 day trip (with a party of 5 and 2 rooms) there was a difference of over 1k, with the hotel discount.

Dodie said:

Yes!! You Got it !! that is exactly what got me thinking again and adding it up. Sorry, I did add wrong and it was actually 17 days to pay the same per day as the 10 day MYW PH expire. So please help me out and take a look to see if I missed something else.

For my situation a 10 day MYW PH that does expire is the way to go vs the AP. We plan on 11-12 nights, 10 park days, a few "off" days for Richard Petty/spa day and MVMCP one night. I am not interested in pluses since we don't do water parks or DQ. If we go to PI it would only be once and I can get tickets for that elsewhere. so for 2 adults and 1 child my total AP price would have been 1199.20 vs. 699.71 MYW PH and I basically would save 499.49. more money for Mickey bars! :mickeybar

That said, I still may get 1 AP for the discounts if I would save more than 173.00. I'll be looking for that 1K Tongatoast! :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter