Should we go?

crj153

Earning My Ears
My wife and I are traveling to Europe next August and are wondering if we should go to DLP. We will be in Europe for about 30 days and will be visiting several countries. We are fairly big Disney fans; we took our honeymoon in WDW a few years ago.

Obviously, there are many things we want to see while we are in Europe, and we want to make the most of each day we are there. We are interested in visiting DLP, but we have a couple of concerns:
1. Similar rides. We realize that the "big" rides are somewhat different at DLP compared to WDW, we wonder if those differences are enough to justify a trip to DLP.
2. Number of rides. There seem to be a large number of walk-throughs.
3. Crowds. We would visit in early August.

I understand that everyone on this board is (justifiably) crazy about Disney. We want to make the most of our month in Europe, and need to know if DLP is a must-see. I would appreciate some relatively unbiased opinions concerning whether we should spend a day at DLP. Thanks.

crj153, I would definitely go while you're in Europe. The park is easily accessible from Paris which makes it a very doable day trip. My DH & I will be going to Paris in a few days to celebrate our 10th anniversary and we'll be spending one day at DLP. This is my first trip to Paris, but seeing Disneyland Paris was important enough to me to take one day away from the cathedrals and other monuments of the city. Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your trip!

DU :wave:

I would spend ONE day at the Disneyland Park, no more, IF you're not the type to stress about seeing EVERY attraction. And I wouldn't waste a day at the Studios. If you can get a park hopper, you might want to hop over to see the stunt show at the Studios. I don't know of any way to get a one-day park hopper, though.

I would say it depends on how many days you are planning to be in Paris, and if you have been to Paris before. If you are first-timers to Paris, I'd only go to DLP if you have at least 5 days to spend with other activities in Paris. But if you've been to Paris before, you may not need as much time there.

I've only done one day trip to DLP myself, with my DH this past August. I've been away from the boards for a while, but I will be posting a trip report soon. Hopefully that may answer some questions you have. I will say now that in early August, the lines were not unbearable, but with the exception of the first 45 minutes of park opening, there were very few walk-ons (the only one I can think of was for one Fantasyland ride).

I would definalely go to DLP if you are in the area. Having been to DLP a few years ago I was disapointed with some of the rides at WDW as the ones with the same name at DLP are much better IMHO. Some although the same in name are not really like each other in the two parks. Also the Indiana Jones ride, backwards is not available at WDW and I think it is a great ride. As for crowds we visited DLP for a day during August and the cowds were OK. We managed to ride Space Mountain 3 times in a row at one point.

By all means take a day from being cultured and have fun at DLP! And by the way, I think the do sell one day park hoppers - at least some times. I think they're 10 Euro more than the regular ticket.

We bought a combined ticket - RER round trip from Paris and the day's entry into DLP.

It's called the 'billet combine' for disneyland. It's available at the main metro stations in Paris. I don't think it saved any money but it didn't cost any extra. Then we didn't have to worry about waiting in line at the park to buy our entrance ticket.

By the way, the trains we were on between Paris and disney did not have any toilets. Be sure to use the facilities before you board.

Rhonna

Sorry - I should have been more clear. Our ticket was not a park hopper - it was only for the DLP park, it did not include the Studios park.

Rhonna

Originally posted by crj153
We want to make the most of our month in Europe, and need to know if DLP is a must-see.

Only you can decide.

I live in London, UK and have spent many, many vacations in European countries over the years. I love Disney too, but it is very much an american thing. If I want Disney, I vacation in Florida. I have bought into DVC because I go to WDW so often, but have never visited DLP. There is so much to see in Europe, I wouldn't waste a day visiting a little piece of America. But...

Only you can decide.

Andrew

Originally posted by Andrew Bichard
There is so much to see in Europe, I wouldn't waste a day visiting a little piece of America. But...

Only you can decide.

Andrew

I have to completely disagree. All of the Disney parks across the globe offer a totally unique experience, with some reminiscence to their home country. Disneyland Paris has stunning scenery and theming, a beautiful castle and some different attractions, along with some attractions which are generally the same, but still different - for example Space Mountain & Pirates of the Caribbean (which IMO are the best there are). I'm the opposite - IMO, if you're a Disney fan, it would be silly to visit France and NOT pay a visit to Disneyland Paris. How can you possible say it would be a 'waste' of day? If you're a Disney fan then no day spent in a Disney park is going to be waste.

I say go for it! It will be a highlight of your trip! :)

Richard.

I'm with Richard on this. I visit to DLP is, in my opinion, enhanced if you know the other Disney parks, not least because you can take great delight in seeing where there are differences and where there are similarities. Whenever I have a chance to visit a Disney park, even if it's only for one day, I'm more than happy to make time to see it.

Regards

Robv

I would like to thank everyone for their help. My wife and I have not had a chance to make our decision yet, but all of the great input will certainly help. Thanks again.

My wife and I have been to California, Florida, and Tokyo Disneylands as well as numerous times to Paris. If you are at all a Disney fan you owe it to yourself to see the other versions around the world to appreciate the differences. Like an earlier poster the Pirates ride is bigger and better than the others, the Space Mountain has its own Jules Verne theme, and I believe that the Peter Pan ride is slightly bigger and better as well. The Thunder Mountain is excellent. It has an Indiana Jones ride that is unique. It is based on the mining carts in the second film. Recently they changed it to go backwards and that made it scarier.

It does have a lot of walkthrough things, but they are great. Their is Hooks Galleon, and Skull cave, there is a a cave for a dragon, and a nice tableau of Aladdin. All things that Disney do well.

I get the overall impression of DLP that the Imagineers applied what they learnt in the other parks to Paris.

The Studio's does not quite have enough in it yet. It has flying carpets and Rock & Rollercoaster as Florida has. It does have the Armageddon special effects walkthrough which is specacular in a Universal's Twister kind of way.

Go if you're going to be in the area. Having been to both I would say some things are just the same and some are slightly different. We enjoyed it there, though not as much as WDW. Early August though will be BUSY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter