Should we do the shuttle launch?

DH and I watched Endeavor take off from the causeway on Feb. 8, 2010 at 4:14 AM. We spent some time waiting in the Kennedy Space Center, saw the IMax movie before heading out on a bus to the causeway at about 1:00 AM. The launch was originally scheduled for 4:30 AM on Feb. 7 and was scrubbed with only 9 minutes until launch, so we spent 2 nights in a row from about 1:00AM until about 4:30. It was FREEZING when we were there otherwise the air of excitement on the causeway would have been a lot of fun. (And we are NOT all-nighters any more, not even on NYE!) Perhaps it was because we saw the last true night launch but the wait to get through security was a couple of hours on the first night (a Saturday night), almost no wait on the second night (a Sunday night). We tried many times to see a launch when we were visiting Disney but our timing was never right. I can't tell you how thrilled we are that we finally succeeded. I made a DVD movie and photo slideshow and a photo book. We will cherish this memory forever. Good luck in trying to make this happen for your family.

I think we are going to do it and we will drive to give us more flexibility. Yeah, 3 days in Disney and a launch!!!

I'm curious, the information from KSC said if you used your bus ticket and the launch was canceled, then you couldn't use it again. But it sounds like you were able to use yours the next night. Did I misunderstand it?

This thread isn't about theme park attractions and strategies, so I've moved it to the Theme Parks Community board. :)

I think we are going to do it and we will drive to give us more flexibility. Yeah, 3 days in Disney and a launch!!!

I'm curious, the information from KSC said if you used your bus ticket and the launch was canceled, then you couldn't use it again. But it sounds like you were able to use yours the next night. Did I misunderstand it?

We were on a tour. Our original price for the ticket and the bus transportation from WDW to the KSC was $114. (We didn't want to deal with traffic jams so we opted for the tour rather than drive our rental car ourselves.) For the second night we had to pay another $55 to go again. The return cost depends on where in the launch process the launch is canceled. I think most of our $55 went to the tour company to pay for the bus and guide. Check your documentation, check online or call KSC to see what your options will be if the launch is scrubbed. Good luck! I really hope that it all works out for you. You are a good parent to be trying so hard to make this happen for your kids.

Note mission number STS-131 = Space Shuttle Discovery Launch is targeted on April 05, 2010 at 6:21AM EDT.

NASA Causeway Launch Transportation Tickets - Launch Postponement –
Your Launch Transportation Ticket is labeled “VC LTT STS-131 ADULT (or CHILD).” This ticket provides transportation to the NASA Causeway launch viewing site. This ticket will be collected from you when you board the bus to the launch viewing site. If launch is postponed two scenarios are possible: 1) If you board a bus to the NASA Causeway and launch is postponed, all elements of this ticket are considered used in full. While you will no longer be able to access the NASA Causeway, you will be invited to return for the next launch attempt with your Visitor Complex admission ticket. Return viewing will be from the main Visitor Complex grounds. Please keep your vehicle placard to return for the next attempt. 2) If launch is postponed before you board a bus, your Launch Transportation Ticket will be valid for the next launch attempt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter