SHOULD the industry deal with Covid?

Do you change the ships or wait it out?

• Total voters
In my opinion and my opinion only, these companies need to wait it out until a vaccine is widely available. Pfizer and Moderna both show their vaccines as 95% effective, which is absolutely great. Hopefully the other vaccines will show similar results. The problem as I see it is a PR issue. These ships cannot come back to port with a load of COVID positive passengers.

The cruise companies will need to require proof of vaccination to cruise and those who want to cruise and refuse to get the vaccine can buy a boat.

As for demand for cruising, Royal Caribbean received 100,000 volunteers to do the simulated cruises. Sure, they’re volunteers to do something free but that’s a lot of people.

100,000 sounds like a lot until you consider RCCL had 6.5 million cruise passengers in 2019. 100k isn’t even a week’s worth of passengers...for a free cruise. That should open some eyes if demand for a free giveaway is down 98%, their customer base is not ready yet.

100,000 sounds like a lot until you consider RCCL had 6.5 million cruise passengers in 2019. 100k isn’t even a week’s worth of passengers...for a free cruise. That should open some eyes if demand for a free giveaway is down 98%, their customer base is not ready yet.

Based on what I have read, it may be « free » but it doesn’t sound like it’s going to be a « fun » cruise as the passengers will be there to practice and test health measures, embarking, disembarking, isolating, evacuating, etc. My understanding is that it is more a simulation than anything else.

There's no way to make cruising safe if the virus is still around. No point in making these investments.

One of the biggest issues is how passengers are handled once a case is found on board. Right now the prevailing solution is to end the cruise early, with the last day or so having customers confined to their rooms whilst the boat speeds back to the pre arranged port. So, for me, I need to ask myself what is an acceptable risk for spending my vacation time and money in this manner...if half the cruises end this way?
One quarter? Both of those are too large a gamble for me.

Based on what I have read, it may be « free » but it doesn’t sound like it’s going to be a « fun » cruise as the passengers will be there to practice and test health measures, embarking, disembarking, isolating, evacuating, etc. My understanding is that it is more a simulation than anything else.
Yes, but to simulate a cruise correctly, they have to do all the activities they normally would. So it will be different, but fun can be had. Like going to a Disney park at the moment can be fun, with the measures.

I just read that the vaccines are said to have side effects that would require a lot of people to take a day off of work after the second dose.

It was from an article today at CNBC, linked below
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/23/cov...cts-from-shots-wont-be-walk-in-the-park-.html
How many shots have you ever heard of that make you have to miss a day of work? A lot of people will have to be forced to take them.

Last edited:

I just read that the vaccines are said to have side effects that would require a lot of people to take a day off of work after the second dose.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/23/cov...cts-from-shots-wont-be-walk-in-the-park-.html
How many shots have you ever heard of that make you have to miss a day of work? A lot of people will have to be forced to take them.
I can’t imagine a company not allowing folks to take a day off for the vaccine. Better one day off than weeks off for sick employees with covid

I can’t imagine a company not allowing folks to take a day off for the vaccine. Better one day off than weeks off for sick employees with covid
I don't even have to imagine. Given the number of companies that offer no sick time, let alone the number of workers stuck in the gig economy, more workers won't get time off for a vaccine than would get time off, at least in the US, without the active intervention of Congress.

I don't even have to imagine. Given the number of companies that offer no sick time, let alone the number of workers stuck in the gig economy, more workers won't get time off for a vaccine than would get time off, at least in the US, without the active intervention of Congress.
Exactly—Congress has intervened and required sick paid leave of two weeks for people sick or quarantined with Covid—so for employers who now have to provide that. the one day off for a vaccine is a good deal.

The problem with the side effects of the 1st injection, not just having to possibly take time off but they might get upset about the side effects that they won't want to get the 2nd NECESSARY injection which will leave them possibly at risk for infection. That's my worry we'd have many get the 1st and not want to run the chance of feeling sick from the 2nd that they'll pass on it. Making the whole inoculation program useless.

Exactly—Congress has intervened and required sick paid leave of two weeks for people sick or quarantined with Covid—so for employers who now have to provide that. the one day off for a vaccine is a good deal.
And still doesn't apply to gig workers. There are a lot.

And still doesn't apply to gig workers. There are a lot.
Who are technically independent contractors so it is up to them whether to take an unpaid day off of work (assuming they still have regular work every day, which isn't true for a lot of gig workers in Covid-times), and for those who are still working daily, it would be far more devastating for them miss two+ weeks of work unpaid because they are sick than it would be for an employee with regular sick leave benefits. So the incentive is even higher for gig workers to take the vaccine. Given the amount of disruption to employment this virus has caused, a single day is absolutely a drop in the bucket.

So do you believe people should not get vaccinated on the chance they might have a side effect that might cause them to take a day off of work that they might not get paid for? I'm just curious as to what people think would be a better alternative here. The end game here has always seemed to be an effective vaccine and now that we *possibly* have that option...this is a valid reason to completely dismiss it? I think the reward might outweigh the risk here.

So do you believe people should not get vaccinated on the chance they might have a side effect that might cause them to take a day off of work that they might not get paid for? I'm just curious as to what people think would be a better alternative here. The end game here has always seemed to be an effective vaccine and now that we *possibly* have that option...this is a valid reason to completely dismiss it? I think the reward might outweigh the risk here.

I think people should make their own decisions about whether they would rather risk the disease or the side effects of the vaccine. My personal opinion is that the government and media will oversell the risks of the disease while underselling the side-effects of the vaccine.

Having said all of that, I am 59 and would probably take the vaccine.

One day of discomfort sure as heck beats being in the ICU intubated or worse dead.. MANY injectable medications have side effects and millions of people take them every day. This is why the pharma companies are coming forward about these side effects NOW, to keep people informed, at this point think about it, taking a DAY off work to give yourself protection for the future is well worth dealing with any potential side effects.

My personal opinion is that the government and media will oversell the risks of the disease while underselling the side-effects of the vaccine.

I think the larger risk is the people who already think COVID is a hoax will point to vaccine side effects as a form of "proof." And there are a lot of these folks out there. If the side effects are not fully disclosed, it may win some people over to the odder and more extreme claims about the vaccines.

But back to the topic, should the cruise industry act or wait it out. For those who said they have to wait it out, how do you picture this?
It can take years before all measures will be gone. I think the hygiene measures will stay for good, but capacity indoors will not be back to 100% immediately. Things like spreading people more during dinner (by either using Cabana's or a 3rd dining time), or less people at certain activities.

I think the larger risk is the people who already think COVID is a hoax will point to vaccine side effects as a form of "proof." And there are a lot of these folks out there. If the side effects are not fully disclosed, it may win some people over to the odder and more extreme claims about the vaccines.

Maybe so. I think the appeals to get people to take the vaccines need to not be too heavy-handed, as this could backfire.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!