Should the 50% restriction on borrowing points be lifted for stays before the parks reopen?

delmar411

DIS Veteran
I'm seeing a ton of availability across the board for the time prior to the parks reopening. Wouldn't it be best to allow those who want to book then to borrow whatever they like to book it until the parks reopen?

It would use up chunks of points that would otherwise be held to use over the next year or two.

We have a BCV stay that is early July but with the parks closed, the only way I would still want to go is if I could upgrade to larger accomodations but that would require borrowing above the 50% marker. I don't want to be trapped in a studio room every rainy afternoon with nothing much to do. I'm local so I don't need to be at WDW to experience the local area, I can do that for free at home.

Or maybe I'm the only one who would be willing to use my points that way?

Thoughts?

It sounds like a good plan to me. I wonder if DVC thought of this plan, I wonder what would happen if you called MS and asked them the question? Maybe they could bump it up to see if they could make an exception on the borrowed points rule for time frame before the parks are open. I would think this would help to alleviate a future bottleneck that's sure to come. Good luck, I hope you can do this. If you try and are successful please let us know. Sending some pixie dust that you get what you want. :tink:

I also think this is a great idea. I was looking to book a resort-only stay yesterday, and there is LOTS of availability, like you said. I was considering 4th of July, but then realized early August was better for our schedule. Granted a trip over 4th of July will not be what it usually is at WDW, BUT it won’t be crowded and you can chill at the pool!

The only Resort that is fully booked starting 6/22, as of this morning, appears to be Jambo-AKV. Every size accommodation there is booked through August except for a random day here and there. The Sav View 1 bedroom is solid booked through November. I'd think DVC would be happy for folks to use points at the other Resorts, OP. Sounds like a winning proposition to me.

The only Resort that is fully booked starting 6/22, as of this morning, appears to be Jambo-AKV. Every size accommodation there is booked through August except for a random day here and there. The Sav View 1 bedroom is solid booked through November. I'd think DVC would be happy for folks to use points at the other Resorts, OP. Sounds like a winning proposition to me.

I wonder if Disney pulled all those rooms to use for the rumor that cash guests from closed resorts could be moved to DVC until other WDW run resorts open.

The plot thickens.

I wonder if Disney pulled all those rooms to use for the rumor that cash guests from closed resorts could be moved to DVC until other WDW run resorts open.

The plot thickens.
Ooh, didn't think of that, just thought "staycation." Very possible...

Ooh, didn't think of that, just thought "staycation." Very possible...

Yeah, AKL and Wilderness Lodge are perfect choices as they have DVC inside the actual resort so all those cash rooms would also be fair game to use!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!