Should I talk to Disney about this AK DAH experience?

OhanaMoana

Earning My Ears
I apologize in advance that this is going to be a bit long, but I would really appreciate some opinions on my recent experience at Animal Kingdom Disney After Hours (on Saturday October 5th). I'd like to know:
(1) Whether I now properly understand how the queuing/wait time process is supposed to work at DAH events
(2) Your opinions on whether you would feel frustrated, upset, or misled based on the events I describe below. (Based on what I think I know now, I think our plans were materially and very negatively impacted by the communication issues I describe below, but I'd like your honest opinions to see if I'm being reasonable/bitter)
(3) How would you suggest I go about communicating this experience to Disney (if you think that is warranted)?

The series of somewhat interlinking/compounding problems we encountered are as follows:
(1) One of the two rides we thought made it worth buying tickets to the event, Expedition Everest, was off-line for the entirety of the evening except for the last 10 minutes, when we had already started to exit the park in frustration and could not make it to the ride in time. We were really excited about riding it in the dark, but we understand that Disney was doing its best to get it online and that it was just unfortunate timing that the ride was working before DAH hours and happened to crash for the entirety of the event. Stuff happens, and in isolation this would've registered as bad luck that couldn't be avoided.
(2) Knowing what I think I know now, I'm tremendous frustrated with the communication of wait times, specifically for DAS pass, during the event: We had a person in our travel group who needs DAS in order to be able to ride attractions with anything but a minimal/FP-length wait time. When we asked the CM at FOP that night what our wait time would be, he assured us that the wait time would be so low during DAH that we wouldn't need to worry about using our DAS pass (he had said "under 25 minutes for sure"). Right after 9pm when DAH had started, we asked another CM about the wait time and he quoted the standby wait time, which at the time was 125 minutes because of all the people who had gotten in line before park closing. It was made clear to him that we were attending the DAH event, and had a DAS pass, but he quoted the 125 minute wait time nonetheless, and didn't offer us a 115 minute return time as would normally be operating procedure for a normal park hours DAS user. Our group couldn't possibly do that wait time without abandoning the DAS user, so out of solidarity we wandered the park together, waiting for the FOP wait time to go down or for Expedition Everest to come on line. We went on lesser rides we had no plans to go on during this event - It's Tough to Be a Bug, Dinosaur, Nav'i River Journey - that for us represented poor value for our time at the event (all we wanted/intended to do was FOP and EE over and over again). We checked in again with the CM at FOP, still quoted 45 minute standby wait which was too long for the person who needed to use DAS. At this point we were maybe a bit more than half way through the 3 hours of the event and EE was still down. We got some water, some ice cream, watched the Pandora drummers, and then went on another ride. It wasn't until I asked questions to the CM at that other ride, purely because I was frustrated about how our evening was turning out, that I received a different explanation of how the lines during DAH worked: she told me that essentially everyone who is attending DAH automatically gets put in what would be the FP+ line, not the standby line, so that there should never be a long wait for us during the event! We rode the ride and then went back to FOP, which at that point had a manageable wait time for our DAS user, and got to ride it once before heading for the park exit since it was about 11:45. So to go back to my question above - would we have been put in a FP+ line along, meaning the FOP CM basically caused us to think we couldn't ride FOP for nearly the first two hours of the event because of the needs of our DAS user?
(3) On our way out of AK, I stopped by the Customer Relations area by the exit, mostly out of desire to make sure that Disney would have the opportunity to receive feedback to (1) alert them to the fact that their staff's communication of how wait times would impact a group with a DAS user during this event was inconsistent; (2) to confirm that the wait time system works how I thought it did after the second CM "educated" me; (3) if the wait time system worked as I thought, to express that the poor communication by the FOP CM had been problematic and that Disney needed to address the issue and not have it impact other DAH attendees in the future (I consider myself a pretty savvy tap and go FP+ user, touring plan strategizer, and generally knowledgeable person about most things WDW - if not doing my own thorough research on DAH beforehand caused me to be misled by a CM because I didn't feel I "knew enough" about how the event works to challenge their explanation, I can only imagine that many other guests who might stumble into the same situation as I did would also be led astray). In talking to the Guest Relations CM, i led off by mentioning the Everest was down so we were focused almost solely on FOP for the night (with an eye on whether EE would come back on line). The CM was quick nod in understanding, clearly having heard this complaint from many guests that night. But I told her that if that was the only issue tonight we would have been bummed but understanding. I told her about the contradictory ways the wait times were explained to us, and even she at first responded by telling us there were no DAS return times during DAH due to the lack of need. I told her that was fine, but that based on what some CMs later told us, it seemed we had been quoted wait times that wouldn't have applied to us for FOP, which had the effect of essentially shutting us out of the two rides - ones that were virtually the sole reasons we wanted to attend the event - for nearly the entire night. I made it clear I was concerned this would happen to other future guests with a DAS user in their party and that we had found it very frustrating. She thanked me for the feedback but didn't seem to understand the point I was trying to make about how the issue I was most pointedly concerned by was consistency and accuracy of communication of information that would be vital to any guest party with a DAS user in tow trying to navigate the event in an informed manner. She did not weigh in on which CM was "right" about the wait times we should've expected for FOP - I'm not sure that she knew, actually, and it seemed like she did not want to take a definitive stance. She apologized and asked if we lived in the area or if we had days left on our stay. I told her it was out last free day of the trip before leaving and that we did not live locally, but that 2 of the 4 of us were Annual Pass holders and 3 of us would be back for a longer trip in a few weeks starting October 30. I got the sense she was going to try to offer us something, but once I said it was our last day and we didn't live locally, she seemed to kind of ignore the fact that we were saying we would be back soon and likely repeatedly after that with our APs. I was tired and frustrated and didn't have the presence of mind to ask her why she was asking, which might have helped her continue her train of thought instead of her giving up once she heard that we weren't around for the next few days. In general, she seemed really nice and well intended, but she sometimes seemed to focus on only the first part of what I was saying, the part she was able to anticipate or expect to hear (like that Everest being closed was disappointing, or that I didn't live in the area or have extra days left on my trip) and disregarded or didn't grasp what followed (that EE being down was problematic because I felt we were told we essentially couldn't ride our other favorite ride for most of the night, too, or that my being non-local meant that whatever she was going to say next was no longer relevant even though I went on to explain I was going to be around in WDW quite often in the not too distant future). She was nice but didn't give me any confidence that the key issue I was explaining was understood and would be relayed to whomever compiles all of Disney's guest issues and decides to allocate resources to address and improve the experience for future guests (the second person can't assess a situation if the person relaying it to them - in this case the CM I spoke to at Guest Relations - didn't understand the crux of the issue and how it might go on to affect many people.

Animal Kingdom was beautiful at night - loved experiencing it with sparse crowds - but we didn't spend $400+ for four of us to have the park empty so we could ride a few non E-ticket rides. We felt like the EE breakdown and the seemingly misleading communication about wait times essentially kept us from doing the things we had intended to spend 80-90+% of our time on that night. I'd honestly have loved the event if I'd gotten to ride EE and FOP repeatedly as I would've been able to if not for bad luck and (I think) poor up front explanations of wait times diverting my attention to elsewhere, which combined to make it feel like an expensive missed opportunity and disappointment.

Do you think I should reach out to Disney? And if so, through what channel?

Thank you to anyone and everyone who reads the above! I know it's a lot to digest, and I feel bad that it is frustrated and complain-y in tone - that's usually not me!

I do think you need to write Disney with your thoughts as I think you have a legitimate complaint. My DS uses a DAS during the day at the parks and would feel the same way as you if this was us. I would also post this on the disABILITY Board to help get more answers and opinions.

I am sorry that you had to go through that. The one time we did DAH AK in late July or early August 2019, can't remember which, we were also given the standby time for FOP although it was past closing and we were there with the DAH AK access... Because it was our first time (we didn't know how it worked -also first time ever visiting AK) we went ahead and waited in the stand by line for ninety minutes and we would see all these people walking in the fast pass lane after the park closed. We didn't understand how you could have a fast pass after closing... We found out after that the CM gave us the incorrect info and we should have been directed into the fast pass lane for FOP. I still am not sure what is the actual process but I can understand your frustration as we also lost a good chunk of time.

I am sorry that you had to go through that. The one time we did DAH AK in late July or early August 2019, can't remember which, we were also given the standby time for FOP although it was past closing and we were there with the DAH AK access... Because it was our first time (we didn't know how it worked -also first time ever visiting AK) we went ahead and waited in the stand by line for ninety minutes and we would see all these people walking in the fast pass lane after the park closed. We didn't understand how you could have a fast pass after closing... We found out after that the CM gave us the incorrect info and we should have been directed into the fast pass lane for FOP. I still am not sure what is the actual process but I can understand your frustration as we also lost a good chunk of time.
You would only get to use the FASTPASS line if you entered to queue after park closing time. If you tried to enter earlier before the After Hours Event started you would have to wait in the standby.

You would only get to use the FASTPASS line if you entered to queue after park closing time. If you tried to enter earlier before the After Hours Event started you would have to wait in the standby.
We entered right after 9:15pm and were directed to the stand by line. We did notice there was a different CM when we were done with the ride 90 min later so maybe they didn't know.

I've attended DAH events with both my nephew and my husband.....each has a DAS pass. I was always under the impression that because there was no fastpass line, that DAS wouldn't be functional. I did find out on another trip however, that rides without fastpass (such as MF) will accommodate DAS passes, so that may be have been a poor assumption. Fortunately when attending our DAH events, it was a non-issue, as the waits were minimal. We have encountered rides that were down during paid events a few times, and we just mentioned it to the guest relations kiosk at a park the next day. We received anytime fastpasses as compensation. It's been my experience that with Disney, the best thing to do , is if it feels like you're not being treated as you think that you probably should be, go to guest services at that time. If there's to be a satisfactory remedy, that's the best time to do it. There are way more options to fix your issues if you're still on property. Sorry that you were disappointed. It's always a downer when something goes wrong at "The Happiest Place on Earth".

DAS is not available during special events or during the extra magical hours. The lines and wait times are "supposively" less than a regular park day\ time.

You can complain to Disney, but not sure what they will do for you. It is frustrating, but when rides break down, Disney has no control over it.

What you experienced is what a lot of people experience. Disney sells tickets to these special events, "limited", but what exactly does " limited" mean. We have found it is no longer worth th e extra money. The events are crowded!!

I haven’t done the AH but I’m confused. Wouldn’t the line for FOP die down by say 10:00 at the latest? I would assume the majority of the non AH people that were in line would be out of the park by 10:00. So from 10-12:00 was the line too long for you to wait and go on multiple times?
I would definitely voice your issue with lack of communication or knowledge of the CM’s on the procedures.
I am surprised that when you picked up your DAS pass with guest relations they didn’t go over it then? Did they explain any of this to you then or did you ask and were told different info?
What are typical wait times for FOP and other rides during the AH events?
As far as EE being down, that is just a bummer but certainly not something Disney ever “guarantees”. Usually if you say something to a CM they will give you an anytime FastPass to use.

While officially DAS is not used during parties and DAH events, reports vary - and it may be dependent on the situation at the ride when you are there. Some have reported using DAS and others not. I'm a little confused whether you simply asked about the wait time or actually requested a "DAS return time." I know it kind of seems like symantics, but that could result in different responses from the CM. To ask "what is the wait time?" -- even with DAS the standby is the 125 minute "wait time" but the return time issued would be 10 minutes less (and presumably 10 minutes in the FP+ queue). So if you didn't specifically request a "DAS return time" then they wouldn't say 115 minutes. I suspect the FOP queue was extra long because EE was down - which may have allowed for a DAS return time if specifically requested.

If the DAS holder will be with you on a future visit, I think it's worth reaching out to WDW.

Enjoy your next vacation!

I haven’t done the AH but I’m confused. Wouldn’t the line for FOP die down by say 10:00 at the latest? I would assume the majority of the non AH people that were in line would be out of the park by 10:00. So from 10-12:00 was the line too long for you to wait and go on multiple times?
I would definitely voice your issue with lack of communication or knowledge of the CM’s on the procedures.
I am surprised that when you picked up your DAS pass with guest relations they didn’t go over it then? Did they explain any of this to you then or did you ask and were told different info?
As far as EE being down, that is just a bummer but certainly not something Disney ever “guarantees”. Usually if you say something to a CM they will give you an anytime FastPass to use.

So the line at 9pm (when AK DAH started that night) was over 2hrs long, so it took until well after 10:45 before the line started to drop below 30 minutes. We were waiting for it to get into the the 20 minute range for our DAS user, so that brought us to over two hours into the three hour event before we were able to do that line.

As for them explaining how it worked at the event: we got the DAS our first day of the trip, and we didn’t know at the time we would be attending AK DAH, so we didn’t ask about it at that time. We just assumed that we would get good info from CMs since we have found no trouble with using DAS. but this was our first hard ticketed event, and we regret not asking beforehand in light of that. At the time we just trusted that we would be informed properly in the parks.

While officially DAS is not used during parties and DAH events, reports vary - and it may be dependent on the situation at the ride when you are there. Some have reported using DAS and others not. I'm a little confused whether you simply asked about the wait time or actually requested a "DAS return time." I know it kind of seems like symantics, but that could result in different responses from the CM. To ask "what is the wait time?" -- even with DAS the standby is the 125 minute "wait time" but the return time issued would be 10 minutes less (and presumably 10 minutes in the FP+ queue). So if you didn't specifically request a "DAS return time" then they wouldn't say 115 minutes. I suspect the FOP queue was extra long because EE was down - which may have allowed for a DAS return time if specifically requested.

If the DAS holder will be with you on a future visit, I think it's worth reaching out to WDW.

Enjoy your next vacation!

we have used DAS before so we specifically asked ”what is the wait time for AK DAH attendees” and “Guest x has a DAS - what is the wait for a return time for DAS?” As separate questions. First time we were quoted the 135mins, second time we were told there was no DAS and wait was still 135 but that it would “go down later”. The CM at the other ride I mentioned told us that what should’ve happened is that even though there are no FP+s during DAH, the event attendees should be put in the physical line used for FP+ even if FP+ system wasn’t technically operating (I think, presumably, so that attendees still get priority over regular hours park guests as though they had a FP+ rather than having those paying a premium getting stuck in the huge post-closure wait line - but this last piece of logic is my assumption, bit what the second CM explicitly told me. She was only explicit about there being a separate physical line (and associated wait time) for DAH attendees.

We entered right after 9:15pm and were directed to the stand by line. We did notice there was a different CM when we were done with the ride 90 min later so maybe they didn't know.

my experience matches what @OKWFan88 Said: we asked around 9:15pm, 15 minutes after event started when we had wristbands, and we specifically said we were there for AK DAH, has wristbands, and had a person with DAS needs (and a DAS pass) and we couldn’t stay in the standby line that long (135mins). Didn’t seem to matter to first CM. So it wasn’t a question of clarity of us being attendees or what we needed in terms of help to enable our DASuser to be able to wait in line and then be able to ride.

I really feel like the confusion about wait times was more of a case of crossed wires than anyone giving "bad" information that would require Disney to intervene.

The DAH event started at 10pm, but you tried to enter the line at 9:15 - so at that point you would not be automatically sent through the FP line as the event hadn't started yet. DAH guests are allowed to enter the parks early, but their "exclusive time" doesn't begin until 10pm and they are not treated differently from regular day guests prior to 10pm. The CM you spoke with at 9:15 was correct, because it was still "regular guest time".

I really feel like the confusion about wait times was more of a case of crossed wires than anyone giving "bad" information that would require Disney to intervene.

The DAH event started at 10pm, but you tried to enter the line at 9:15 - so at that point you would not be automatically sent through the FP line as the event hadn't started yet. DAH guests are allowed to enter the parks early, but their "exclusive time" doesn't begin until 10pm and they are not treated differently from regular day guests prior to 10pm. The CM you spoke with at 9:15 was correct, because it was still "regular guest time".

So, we were told the event itself was from 9pm-12am but that we could have access to enter earlier (which we did). My understanding is that the event is supposed to be exclusive for three hours, and that on the night in question that meant that prior to 9pm regular park guests could hop into lines at the last minute at 8:59pm and then stay in line until they got to ride, even if the ride time was well past regular park closure. That’s why we asked after 9:00pm for our wait time. We also asked around 10:15 after killing time elsewhere, when the line had gone down to under and hour but was still a far cry from the 20ish minutes that our DAS would have needed to be able to manage the line. We got the same response from the same CM - he quoted us the posted wait time for both our question about wait time for DAH attendees and for DAS users. So I don’t think it’s possible we mistakenly asked only during the pre-event time where we had park access, even if that started at 10. Am I wrong in thinking the exclusive period started at 9 (which was what was advertised)? That would be good to know for future reference.

I don’t think there was any bad intent or laziness on anyone’s part. Just seems they might’ve been wrong or have misinformed us - that’s what I’m trying to figure out as definitively as possible.

According to the disney site...
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/animal-kingdom/animal-kingdom-after-hours/
It is 3 hours starting at 9 pm.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2015/09/how-write-effective-complaint-letter
To Whom it May Concern:

I am writing to let you know about misinformation being given (or we were given) on our recent visit. We attended Disney After Hours at Animal Kingdom on xx/xx/.

This happened (or we were told).

We were told (or this happened).

This happened (or we were told).

Etc.

While being sorry here is fine (and probably necessary :)), you want to keep your correspondence easily readable. Side note: I once sent a one page complaint letter to a company about sales tax, but included the entire tax regulations - about 12 pages. Nobody read it because it was too long.

If you are going to write to Disney, you need to edit it down to the very basic facts. What is essential for them to know?
Your post was very long and confusing, which may mean you would have a hard time getting answers to your questions. I would just write to the Contact email on the Disney website.

They don’t give out DAS Return Times during parties/special events. The usual reason is they only use one line for the party - usually the Fastpass line - so there is no other line to send guests to. Some attractions may have some other alternatives they can offer, but it’s variable by attraction. So, if DAS is used, it’s not quite the same way. Because of the setup of FOP, I doubt they would have any alternatives there. And, party wait times are usually short - 15-25 minutes, so no need for DAS.

Guests at the park for the day are allowed to get into line until the park actually closes. So, if the park closed at 9, guests could still be getting into line until the clock at the attraction says 9, as you noted,
The wait time you were given at 9:15 could very well have been correct - they try to clear out the non-party/event guests from both the regular and a Fastpass lines as quickly as possible, but that would have taken longer than usual because of the unusual circumstances.
We did an AK party found people (including us) were kind of camped out at the entrance to FOP waiting for the party time to come so they could get into line. Our actual wait that night was about 30 minutes right after the party started (we went again later in the night and it was less than 15).
The unusually long Standby wait plus the party guests who were in line before you came to the attraction may have made the actual wait as long as the CM told you.

Yeah, like I said, we were totally understanding about EE being down - no one can guarantee anything. But it was that combined with the lack of help - and possible misinformation - at the other big ride we wanted to do that left us feeling like we didn’t have any of the options we had been hoping for. And especially the latter issue - the seemingly erroneous rules communicated - was what frustrated us and made us feel like we’d missed out on an opportunity that to go on a ride that was working fine and we now think we should’ve had better access to based on what the second CM told us.

Yeah, like I said, we were totally understanding about EE being down - no one can guarantee anything. But it was that combined with the lack of help - and possible misinformation - at the other big ride we wanted to do that left us feeling like we didn’t have any of the options we had been hoping for. And especially the latter issue - the seemingly erroneous rules communicated - was what frustrated us and made us feel like we’d missed out on an opportunity that to go on a ride that was working fine and we now think we should’ve had better access to based on what the second CM told us.

I think that's the crux of the issue. You were given information at FoP which was incorrect and ended up impacting your plans for the evening. Here is what I've gathered from this thread:

1) The park closed to the general public at 9 pm
2) DAH began for party guests at 9 pm
3) Most people are reporting that DAH guests are directed to use the FP+ line for rides (where it's available) once the event starts (in your case, at 9 pm)
4) You approached the FoP line after the event started with your DAH credentials and were told you would wait in the standby line, which was incorrect. That CM should have directed you to the FP+ line. If you had been given this information, your night probably would have unfolded more in the direction of your expectations for the DAH event.

I would definitely write to WDW about this. It's very possible the CM you spoke with at FoP simply didn't understand the line protocol for the event, but, if you weren't directed to the line that was reserved for DAH guests during dedicated DAH time, you got short-changed, IMHO. Unfortunately, this is a running trend at WDW - misinformation and miscommunication from CMs abound and it definitely impacts the guest experience.

I asked someone I travel with whether the DAS has been available to use at special events (like the MNSSHP) and was told yes that she was able to use it - at least at the MK. She said she had used it often for special events like this without a problem but has not attend the AK after hours one.

I totally understand being tired at the end of the evening and it's a hassle to complain then escalate the discussion to a manager and so on. I agree it would be good to write. It's up to you if you think they should compensate your tickets - sounds like a darn frustrating evening. It seems like when there's a problem with the AK after hours there just isn't as much to do and the wait time for FOP is ridiculous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter