• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

should I make plans?

Piper

DIS Veteran
I haven't posted in a long, long time. I went to Disney in the summer of 2000 and it was a very difficult trip. I was with my sister's family (sister, bil, and 3 nephews in teens and 24). I was in a great deal of pain and was pushed beyond my endurance to do things. I was very willing to go back to the cabin and rest by myself, but I don't think my family really realized how much pain I had--I tend to downplay it. The ECV was a lifesaver.

Anyway, since then I had a triple cervical spine fusion with hardware, a lumpectomy and treatment for breast cancer, and gall bladder surgery (found that one on a bone scan to check for cancer metastesis-sp). My family now realizes that I wasn't "faking"--I need more spinal surgery, but I am just not ready to go through it right now.

OK--now to my question-----I am thinking about going to WDW alone in June. I don't want to have to explain my every move to people and if I want to rest, I want to be able to do it without feeling like I am spoiling someone elses fun! I will again use an ECV and I can walk using a forearm crutch. Am i nuts? Will I be viewed as weird? Will I be viewed as crazy if I decide to go on rides by myself?

I think I will also post this on the disabilities board, but I would also like feedback from people who have been to WDW alone. Thanks in advance.

Dear Piper,
I have been many times alone, and while I am not disabled (other than hard of hearing), I have never felt odd or wierd. If people look at me, well, I don't really notice. Maybe it's because I get so caught up in the Magic. I get in a zone and tend to forget that there are other people around me. People do tend to look when I ride by mself, but only for a minute, then they almost always have other stuff to take their mind off me. I say go for it, get the ECV, go back to your room when you want, wander wherever you want, what a relaxing vacation. You deserve it after having lived with all the doctor problems. Enjoy life to the fullest of your abilities, don't let anyone tell you different.

I went solo in early June last year. I had a blast. I ate where I wanted to eat, went to the parks I wanted to go, and I went back to the resort for a nap or a swim everyday.

I think I was treated as well as if I had been with others - if not better. I found that CMs would take time to talk to me. I ate in a variety of sit downs. I stayed at Coronado Springs resort. Loved it! Also have stayed at PO - Riverside and PO- French Quarter.

I will warn you that I thought it was extremely hot and humid in June but I am from Colorado and I think you are from Texas. So the humidity may not bother you!

I would suggest you would rent an EVC so you can have it to go to DD, and explore the resorts if you want. If you rent it from a company, they can get it to the resort for you and then it is yours for your entire stay.

I hope you plan to go solo to WDW! I think you will love it!

Absolutely!

You will have a much better time taking things at your own pace. And don't even think about skipping things (rides, sit down meals...) just because of what you are afraid others might be thinking. Do what you want to do, skip what holds no interest, and rest when you feel like it. Sounds like the perfect vacation to me.

Deb

Thanks to those who have written. I am really thinking hard about this. You have eased some of my fears. I am going to do some more reasearch, but I just might do it! I'm really leaning toward an early June trip!

Let us know on the boards. Then, if other Disers are there, you can be on the lookout for the lime green ribbons, and vice versa. You can go solo, but meet up with other Disers if you want a little meal time companionship or what ever, and not have to worry about scheduling around anyone but you!

Have a great time.

If your even thinking about it...do it. I have fibomyalgia, and it is ok to have to stop and rest and not to have to explain to anyone . I love doing WDW solo. None of my family or friends understands my love of Disney. If I have to go solo then I will. I can go at my own speed and do what I want.

Just do it!!

If your even thinking about it...do it. I have fibomyalgia, and it is ok to have to stop and rest and not to have to explain to anyone . I love doing WDW solo. None of my family or friends understands my love of Disney. If I have to go solo then I will. I can go at my own speed and do what I want.

Just do it!!

Thanks Cassie. I've pretty much made up my mind to do this. I've been researching dates and times. I'm going to see if I can find out when summer school is in session this year so I can firm up plans (I need to teach summer school to help pay for the trip!)

Thanks Otiman, I am booked for May 31-June 6-----but I may take one day away from the end. I think I will just buy Park Hopper since I don't care about water parks, etc. And I plan to spend one day in the middle away from the parks--doing laundry, maybe have Tea at the Floridian, go to a spa. Since the whole trip is just a "me" trip--why not really indulge!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter